Cody Green to transfer?

Zoogies and Hujan -

I'd be more wiling to buy the argument that Cody Green stuck it out for two years compared to Martinez who was "just getting started," if Martinez hadn't in reality spent another season at another position (remember, Martinez has been at UNL the same amount of time as Green). To say that Martinez would have quit the moment he got bumped to #2 on the depth chart doesn't really add up when you consider the fact that he spent his entire redshirt season nowhere close to the QB position, let alone the starting spot.

Meanwhile, at least if da skers is right, Green balked at the idea of playing a different position, and is now leaving the team. I don't blame him for it, and I support him and wish him well. But the situation isn't different. Martinez was willing to play another position (WR), on the scout team, before he was brought into the QB competition, Martinez never walked away from the team, and somehow he is seen as the spoiled brat/sore loser, while Cody is such a great team player. Doesn't make any sense.

cody has allways been supportive of the team, never cryed about anything. my thoughts on cody is that he could probably start on a few div 1 teams if he picks the right one. i believe the excellant showing by carnes in the spring probably put the nail in the coffin, and it could be he would be 3rd string before long

Zoogies and Hujan -

I'd be more wiling to buy the argument that Cody Green stuck it out for two years compared to Martinez who was "just getting started," if Martinez hadn't in reality spent another season at another position (remember, Martinez has been at UNL the same amount of time as Green). To say that Martinez would have quit the moment he got bumped to #2 on the depth chart doesn't really add up when you consider the fact that he spent his entire redshirt season nowhere close to the QB position, let alone the starting spot.

Meanwhile, at least if da skers is right, Green balked at the idea of playing a different position, and is now leaving the team. I don't blame him for it, and I support him and wish him well. But the situation isn't different. Martinez was willing to play another position (WR), on the scout team, before he was brought into the QB competition, Martinez never walked away from the team, and somehow he is seen as the spoiled brat/sore loser, while Cody is such a great team player. Doesn't make any sense.

Lets throw some more "what ifs" out there. Would Martinez be up for playing a different position now??? More than likely not. If he were asked now to move to a different position he would be outta here, just sayin. And no hercules this isnt a Martinez bash. Its another what if, since thats what seems to be the theme around here.

Zoogies and Hujan -

Lets throw some more "what ifs" out there. Would Martinez be up for playing a different position now??? More than likely not. If he were asked now to move to a different position he would be outta here, just sayin. And no hercules this isnt a Martinez bash. Its another what if, since thats what seems to be the theme around here.

I'm not trying to compare the character of Martinez to the character of Green. I don't think they're that different. I'm pointing out the ridiculous gap between how the fan base views these two players when all real evidence is to the contrary.

I am not making up hypotheticals, I'm not playing "what if?" The fan base has ripped Martinez to shreds over and over again because of the rumors of him transferring. That actually happened, it's not hypothetical. Green actually transfers, and people call him a great team player - once again, not hypothetical, just read this thread. Cody said that he would play another position for the benefit of the team, in public, but instead he's leaving - not hypothetical. Martinez actually did play another position for the benefit of the team for an entire season before winning the QB job.

There's nothing hypothetical about the argument I'm making. I'm pointing out the real discrepancies between how the fan base reacted to one player (who in reality did not transfer and did play more than one position for his team) to another player (who is transferring and would not play more than one position for his team). I don't have any beef with Martinez or Green - I have a beef with the fans.

I think fans reaction is in part because it was expected. Now if a player like Martinez,Burkhead or Crick transferred the reaction would be completely different. Yes, people would have some hatred towards those players because they are such a big part of this team. Them leaving would leave a giant hole in team chemistry and expectations for the most part.

I think fans reaction is in part because it was expected. Now if a player like Martinez,Burkhead or Crick transferred the reaction would be completely different. Yes, people would have some hatred towards those players because they are such a big part of this team. Them leaving would leave a giant hole in team chemistry and expectations for the most part.

If Burkhead or Crick left, it would be met with disappointment and shock, but not hatred.

Anyways, you don't need to play hypotheticals. The Martinez transferring rumors began before he was a starter.

It's like when Bobby Newcombe was called the selfish, sore loser after Eric Crouch threatened to quit when not named the starter, and after Newcombe had switched to WR for the good of the team. There's no logic behind any of it - some people just don't like those players.

Well so much for the political correct crap.

If Martinez had quit today 90% of you would be throwing him under the bus, Green quits, oh what a nice guy. Bull$hit. He QUIT, He is leaving us high and dry, because he failed to do what he was recruited for. Nebraska kept him for three years, he never gave us three years of service.

You start something, you finish, not pull up your panites and run some where else, where he will fail just like every one of them have so far. He is not a division one QB, we carried him to honor our commitment, he leaves. Loyalty, honor, dedication are words that have meanings. Learn them Cody, you will need them in life.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!!!

BA BYE!!!!!

lol!

Oh boy, Tmart quiting would have the haters in a frenzy that would last for decades. 10,000 posts a day claiming "they were right!!...Tmart is a punk!!". But of course, wishing Cody Green nothing but the best.

haha....GBR!!

• Fire 1

Snagging a JUCO QB wouldn't make much sense. We need two HS QBs this class. Get Fuller, and another.

This breaks my heart. Cody was destined to fail when he walked in the door at NU when you look back at it. Things happen for a reason Cody. Keep your head up.

Zoogies and Hujan -

There is a big, big difference between:

1) leaving as an upcoming junior in the offseason with an entrenched started and a highly touted freshman above you on the depth chart solidifying those spots for years to come, when nothing has gone ideally for you since you stepped foot on campus.

2) leaving as a redshirt freshman in the middle of fall camp when you are going to get on the field as part of a package of plays rather than be fulltime starting QB, after getting your way and getting a shot at QB instead of playing receiver or defense.

It's one thing if you don't buy that TM was thinking of leaving, but again, people who brought it up were comparing against the hypothetical. If he had left, it would have been Harrison Beck all over again (minus the wasted redshirt year for Beck and the fact that he was buried on the depth chart). That's where the worry came from, but it's been a long year from that and things could well be different.

If Green had left last fall camp, he would have been open to the same criticism, but he didn't. Ultimately Taylor didn't either, so again, that counts for something.

Zoogies and Hujan -

There is a big, big difference between:

1) leaving as an upcoming junior in the offseason with an entrenched started and a highly touted freshman above you on the depth chart solidifying those spots for years to come, when nothing has gone ideally for you since you stepped foot on campus.

2) leaving as a redshirt freshman in the middle of fall camp when you are going to get on the field as part of a package of plays rather than be fulltime starting QB, after getting your way and getting a shot at QB instead of playing receiver or defense.

It's one thing if you don't buy that TM was thinking of leaving, but again, people who brought it up were comparing against the hypothetical. If he had left, it would have been Harrison Beck all over again (minus the wasted redshirt year for Beck and the fact that he was buried on the depth chart). That's where the worry came from, but it's been a long year from that and things could well be different.

If Green had left last fall camp, he would have been open to the same criticism, but he didn't. Ultimately Taylor didn't either, so again, that counts for something.

My point is that Taylor didn't leave, and the hate still rained down. He actually played another position for his team, and the hate still rained down. Cody would only play QB, and he's leaving, and yet he's the nicest guy and a great team player.

Anyways, I'm done. If you can't see the hypocrisy, you're just pretending.

If the rumor is true he is gone, enough wasted time on him from start to finish. How do we replace him is the question now. JC player, Wilson, which I would be against, or do we just set back and wait for the recruiting class to replace him.

I would guess the staff is not happy about this, I am sure they were counting on him. Waiting until after Spano ended his career is ironic, I wonder if he was trying to use that as leverage and the staff said no. Possibly telling him that Carnes would move to number two. We will never know the whole story is my guess, but I am tired of worrying about it.

I just hope Taylor lives up to early last year, stays healthy and Carnes gets some quality time on the field.

I have stated many times Cody would never play a meaningful down at Nebraska as a QB.

I guess you were wrong many times then, weren't you? Or I guess the Baylor, Oklahoma, Iowa State and Colorado games didn't matter? Or his series against Washington when we were not yet up big?

This thread kinda proves the point that we aren't that classy of a fan base. For the poster who said CG threw us under the bus that isn't true at all if anything it was Bo who threw him under the bus Green should have redshirted his first year instead he was forced to play basically beacuse the coaches pee'd down their leg.

:yeah

that is a fact that he didnt want to. he acted like he did but as soon as coaches asked him about it he said no. simple as that. he made his own bed.

I'm interested to know where you got this "fact" from, because I've heard from friends of Cody's and various messageboard posters who may or may not be insiders that it was exactly the opposite; he wanted to switch positions if it meant he could contribute and see the field but the coaches wanted him to stay at quarterback. Bold claim that you know without a shadow of a doubt what the real story is.

I wish him the best, he has had two years to play and his chance to play a meaningful role seems to have dimmed during the spring. It would be better (for recruiting reasons) had he left at the end of the season but at that point he was thee #2 guy so why not stay. If he wants a good run at another team now was the time for him to go. I wish him the very best but the truth is it is better that he go now rather than take up a scholarship for 2 more years. I'd like to see solid walk on's or up and coming young talent in the #3 QB spot. I would never never go SEC style and release kids but if they go early because they want a shot in a different system I think it is best for all.

i think the direction of Beck's offense was pretty obvious to Green and the few snaps he would take in it, can't blame him, when he was recruited the offense was different and i am not so damn sure we are even going to like Beck's qb run option crap anyway, defenses will stack the line and make TM throw, his weak suit......Green has nothing to be ashamed of, he is looking for a place to play, nothing more....this move is more about Beck's offense and Green's not being a big run, option guy.

He only played because he was the only option, never in serious game situations. Stand by my comments.

I will make you this bet, he will never start at another division 1 program, division II possibly, but not likely.

We all wanted him to succeed when he got here, he just never got it together and I think he knows he can't, there fore try someplace with less competition and talent to see if he can play.

I am in agreement with 94 on the offense though. I am not sold on this by any means, I have a hard time believeing that our best option for an offense was on the staff, but hopefully I am proven wrong. '

The question I have still is how do we replace the body?