Cody Green to transfer?

i think the direction of Beck's offense was pretty obvious to Green and the few snaps he would take in it, can't blame him, when he was recruited the offense was different and i am not so damn sure we are even going to like Beck's qb run option crap anyway, defenses will stack the line and make TM throw, his weak suit......Green has nothing to be ashamed of, he is looking for a place to play, nothing more....this move is more about Beck's offense and Green's not being a big run, option guy.

I think the odds of Beck's offense being worse than what we had with Callawatts crap to be almost a mathematical and statistical zero. Opponents stacked the line for about 20 years on TO and he made then pay the full price with PA and LONG td runs by our rbs.

Throwing the ball was Frost, Frazier, Crouch, etc weak suit too. Yeah, they sucked. I hear ya. To bad Hunter, but fluffball at NU has gone the way of the dodo bird. I guess you'll just have to grin and bear it.

He only played because he was the only option, never in serious game situations. Stand by my comments.

I will make you this bet, he will never start at another division 1 program, division II possibly, but not likely.

We all wanted him to succeed when he got here, he just never got it together and I think he knows he can't, there fore try someplace with less competition and talent to see if he can play.

I am in agreement with 94 on the offense though. I am not sold on this by any means, I have a hard time believeing that our best option for an offense was on the staff, but hopefully I am proven wrong. '

The question I have still is how do we replace the body?

Please. You realize he played half of the A&M game right? And the first few series of Oklahoma '09? And other 'serious' situations as well. What in the world do you use to define 'serious game situations', since it's obvious that none of the times he played when the game was far from being decided count.

Again did he finish those games, was he on the field because he was the best or because we had injuries that allowed(forced) him to be there.

Some have seen his ability, I just never have and neither has the staff. He was given many chances and never made it. He knows he is not good enough to play at Nebraska and is hoping he can catch on someplace else. Best bet is that he won't.

You can defend him all day long, we will just have to agree to disagree. I have no use for quitters. To some that is not a big deal. In my line of work people die when people quit, so therefore my tolerance for them is nil.

My point is that Taylor didn't leave, and the hate still rained down. He actually played another position for his team, and the hate still rained down. Cody would only play QB, and he's leaving, and yet he's the nicest guy and a great team player.

Anyways, I'm done. If you can't see the hypocrisy, you're just pretending.

A few things...

1) Taylor not leaving doesn't erase that/those episode(s), whatever it was. Crouch lost a lost of love for running back to Omaha, despite coming back and doing all the great things he did. I think that's fair.

2) Cody Green was a QB recruit. In fact, he was told he would be our one QB for the class, wasn't he? Taylor Martinez was not a QB recruit. I don't see how you can draw a parallel to Taylor playing another position as 'taking one for the team', when he came here not quite as a QB but gunning for that switch. As far as Taylor's commitment to Nebraska, he would have jumped at another school in a second if they had promised him to be a QB all the way. Both guys want to be QBs: difference is, Cody was recruited here to be a QB and Taylor was here as an athlete.

3) I don't know what hypocrisy is being decried. The fact that Cody Green (there has been no recent news on Taylor Martinez) is transferring, and he is being given 'all the best' by Husker Nation? How wrong that is....

It just seems people are bent out of shape that Cody Green isn't being dragged through the mud right now. There are no reasons he should be. There are no reasons to drag Taylor through the mud should he find himself out of the QB picture at this point next year and decide to transfer and play QB elsewhere. All the criticism Taylor got for almost quitting at that point in time, unless it was totally fabricated, he deserved. Likewise for Cody if Cody had almost quit at that point last year, but he didn't. Cody really was a complete team player last year, totally PC and did whatever was needed. He deserves praise for that when he could have taken the Harrison Beck out.

But Cody is out of the picture at Nebraska right now. He's an upperclassman, he's been surpassed, lost in a scheme change perhaps, whatever it is, he's out. It is not a great situation for him right now. There's really nothing comparable here to TM's supposed quit, then return last August. The best parallel is probably Joe Dailey: junior QB who didn't turn out to be a great fit for a new offensive scheme, lost the OC that recruited him to play QB here, and was completely surpassed on the depth chart.

You can defend him all day long, we will just have to agree to disagree. I have no use for quitters. To some that is not a big deal. In my line of work people die when people quit, so therefore my tolerance for them is nil.

Nobody is going to die because a college football player decides to transfer, and it is very likely a positive for both the team (which needs the extra resources for recruiting) and the player (who needs an opportunity the team can't offer him). CFB student-athlete isn't exactly your line of work. It is no different than anyone who has ever quit a regular job to land a better offer at a similar company. A college scholarship offer is not a binding 4-year commitment of honor, and that goes both ways.

I agree with you that Cody didn't really get a lot of serious gametime though. Bo looked to him for a spark in '09, but last year it became increasingly clear that he had absolutely no faith in the guy.

Did Nebraska go back on their word and tell him he would be dropped due to his inability to do the job recruited for?

No one said he would die, I said I have no use for people who quit. This is all about Cody, no consideration for anyone else. Typical me attitude. Sweep it under the table, but I think basically it was a power play that blew up in his face. Now he has no recourse.

Quitters never win, winners never quit. I have lived by that since I was in the 9th grade. I always will.

Semper Fi

Did Nebraska go back on their word and tell him he would be dropped due to his inability to do the job recruited for?

No one said he would die, I said I have no use for people who quit. This is all about Cody, no consideration for anyone else. Typical me attitude. Sweep it under the table, but I think basically it was a power play that blew up in his face. Now he has no recourse.

Quitters never win, winners never quit. I have lived by that since I was in the 9th grade. I always will.

Semper Fi

I think you might want to consider finding a different sport to show interest in if a player transferring bothers you this much.

• Fire 2

To say that CG's leaving sux is an understatement, however, his inconsistency an proneness to mishandle the ball was a big strike against him. He is a good kid that will probablyu thrive in a zip and go offense like B. State. The best option for NU right now is to find a juco QB that is a gamer and maybe even challenge TMart for the job. If he is not looking over his shoulder he will get complacent .

I wish him the best of luck, what every he decides to do.

On a positive note this should cut down on some of the "who's going to be our starting QB" threads by at least a third

Yes, thank God... Now we can have an easier discussion... RK III still going to start. :D

A few things...

1) Taylor not leaving doesn't erase that/those episode(s), whatever it was. Crouch lost a lost of love for running back to Omaha, despite coming back and doing all the great things he did. I think that's fair.

Nobody ever confirmed that Taylor quit the team in August, and then came back. It was flatly denied by Bo. When the rumors came back in November, it was flatly denied by Bo again. Martinez flatly denied it all after the season, saying he never quit or considered quitting the team. It was all rumors.

2) Cody Green was a QB recruit. In fact, he was told he would be our one QB for the class, wasn't he? Taylor Martinez was not a QB recruit. I don't see how you can draw a parallel to Taylor playing another position as 'taking one for the team', when he came here not quite as a QB but gunning for that switch. As far as Taylor's commitment to Nebraska, he would have jumped at another school in a second if they had promised him to be a QB all the way. Both guys want to be QBs: difference is, Cody was recruited here to be a QB and Taylor was here as an athlete.

What does any of that matter? They both wanted to be QBs. Martinez spent a year as a wide receiver, and had to earn his way into the QB competition, and won the job. Cody was a QB right away, he was the first true freshman to start a game at QB since Tommie Frazier. If anybody had a reason to transfer, it was Martinez after spending a year at WR when he wanted to be QB. Yet people say that it was Cody Green who never got a fair shot. :facepalm:

3) I don't know what hypocrisy is being decried. The fact that Cody Green (there has been no recent news on Taylor Martinez) is transferring, and he is being given 'all the best' by Husker Nation? How wrong that is....

It just seems people are bent out of shape that Cody Green isn't being dragged through the mud right now. There are no reasons he should be. There are no reasons to drag Taylor through the mud should he find himself out of the QB picture at this point next year and decide to transfer and play QB elsewhere.

I don't think Cody Green should be dragged through the mud, and I'm not trying to drag him through the mud. I do think it's flat out ridiculous that the fans wishing him well are the same ones who told Taylor Martinez to screw off when he didn't transfer.

• Fire 2

Obviously it concerns me a little bit with the whole depth thing at QB. However, I won't miss holding my breath everytime he touches the ball.........good lord that kid could fumble. I wish him the best of luck and now it's on to search for a QB that fits our system and is willing to come to NU.

"Nobody ever confirmed that Taylor quit the team in August, and then came back." Yes, but lest you forget, the people who brought this up are comparing Green's actual departure to the hypothetical of Taylor's quitting. I am just illustrating what that hypothetical that caused people to get upset back in August was, and I know that it's been denied and we don't know what happened, or if anything happened.

"What does any of that matter? They both wanted to be QBs." It matters because you spoke of Taylor spending a year at another position as 'taking one for the team', while Cody not moving positions after two years of being a backup quarterback as an example of the opposite. Taylor came in as an athlete and not a QB, so his redshirt year spent at receiver is not at all comparable to what Jamal Turner is doing now, for instance.

"If anybody had a reason to transfer, it was Martinez after spending a year at WR when he wanted to be QB. Yet people say that it was Cody Green who never got a fair shot." Taylor certainly had a reason to transfer at that point, if there was another big time school that would take him at QB (though if there were, he could have found one before coming here). I would not have faulted him for leaving that offseason. Cody Green had his shots, but his situation was unfortunate from the start with the redshirt year that should have been and that is nobody's fault. The key point is that at this point in time, he no longer has a shot.

"I don't think Cody Green should be dragged through the mud, and I'm not trying to drag him through the mud. I do think it's flat out ridiculous that the fans wishing him well are the same ones who told Taylor Martinez to screw off when he didn't transfer."

I would wish Taylor well if he ever lost the job and chose to transfer, unless it is during the season. I would have wished him well if he chose to leave last offseason. But if he had gone through with quitting in the midst of training camp in August given his (pretty good) situation then, or even worse, quit mid-season, he would have deservedly received the Harrison Beck treatment. I hope that clears up any misconceptions about how I would react to Taylor leaving, and while I can't speak for everyone else, I'm sure it would be similar. If TM lost the job to Brion and left, I would not see that as a heinous thing for him to do and would argue that point with anyone who did.

skersfan, I thank you for all your years of service (I gather you were a Marine)...and respect you a hell of a lot for it. I just don't see taking the same hardline when you are dealing with opportunities in life rather than serving your country. And Nebraska may not do this a lot, but kids who don't perform are absolutely massaged out of programs around the nation. That scholarship offer isn't an unconditional, "do as well or as poorly as you like for four years, we'll pay for it" deal. It is contingent on a lot of things, and I don't think it's unreasonable that playing well is one of them.

I guess we should also question how his parents raised him, like some did the Gabberts?

Or call him a spoiled brat and a sore loser, as many have called Martinez.

My response to both of these posts: I missed the part where he ever acted wishy washy, spoiled, or immature. That is what separates these other two situations with the Green situation. He has always been a team player, mature, works hard, and has made informed decisions.

People thought Martinez was wishy washy, spoiled, and immature because of the rumors about him transferring. Cody Green is actually transferring. I don't think either player is spoiled or immature, just trying to point out the pretty blatant hypocrisy in the fan base's reaction.

It's not even the same. Cody has had two years worth of being a last-case scenario and has done it with a smile. He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team. How many shots of him have you seen of him helping signal plays in with a headset with just as much zeal as if he were the starter? (See also Zac Lee and Kody Spano.)

Cody leaving is not an immature, "I'm taking my ball and going home" reaction, it's a sobering recognition that he wants to play and will almost certainly not have that opportunity here. As much as people think this speaks volumes about Carnes, it's more likely that it speaks to RK III, who may have passed Green on the depth chart to get the #3 spot.

Meanwhile, when he is sidelined for whatever reason, Martinez acts disinterested and seems totally aloof. There's been enough smoke to suspect there is at least something smoldering there with regard to his less-than-stellar attitude.

In sum, there is no doubt Cody loves the Huskers, and his transfer is clearly about looking for his best opportunity so that he can play someday. Martinez's apparent transfer threat was more about him not getting his way.

Edit: Let's put it this way:

There is a decent chance Martinez would transfer the SECOND he was bumped down to #2.

CG is transferring now that he is #3 or #4, with no hope of ever being the starter. Big, big difference folks.

haha, the only difference between the two situations is that Cody is actually transferring, and Martinez isn't. You can try to spin it any other way you want, but you're just going to be talking out of your ass.

Rumors about Martinez transferring = what a jerk, what a spoiled brat, selfish, not a team player.

Cody Green actually transferring = Wish him well, what a nice guy, always a great team player.

He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team.

I don't care that he's been quoted saying that, or that he smiles all nice-like when he's on the sideline or in front of the press. That stuff just makes him a better politician than Martinez. At the end of the day, it's not true - he's not helping our QB depth, he's not moving to TE or WR, he's not acting as a leader/coach on the sidelines - he's leaving. You can't help the team from another campus.

Again, I understand Cody's decision, sympathize with him, and wish him well. But the entire reaction to this situation has pretty much validated my view that people are backing one QB over another because of personal biases and very little more.

For the record, I don't really place a lot of my distrust of Martinez on the transfer rumors. I put it on the fact that he generally acts like an aloof jackass who thinks he's the sh#t, but is mediocre at best the second he joins the other 99% of athletes who, by season's end, have some degree of injury to their knee/ankle/shoulder/foot.

There is little doubt that the kid has an attitude problem and you can make that case to a thousand jurors without ever introducing any evidence of the transfer rumors. There is a prima donna element to his attitude without a doubt.

The fact is that Cody has taken the high road during the past two seasons of being put on the back burner. He took it in stride in 2009 and again in 2010, starting just 4 games in two seasons. When it was clear that was going to be the #3 or #4 in 2011, he realized that he had better opportunities elsewhere if he wanted to play, which he has every right to do.

I have virtually no doubt that Martinez would spend exactly one week at #2 on the depth chart behind a QB the coaches thought was superior before he would call it quits and pack up. I mean, for crying out loud, the Martinez camp was bitching and moaning about him being pulled in the Texas game.

There is basically a zero percent chance that Martinez would stay at Nebraska for the remainder of his career as a #2 QB behind, say, Brion Carnes or Bubba Starling. Cody's done that or worse for the past two years, without even coming close to being a disgruntled cancer in the locker room, which is more than Martinez can say while he was the STARTER. That makes the situation a bit different in this man's opinion.

Martinez is to Tate Forcier, what Green is to Joe Dailey.

im sorry dude but its pretty clear that you only know about martinez what the media has told you and that is 99% false. actually go meet him or talk to some of his teammates about him and you will know that martinez is none of the above state crap. he gets a bad rep because people that dont even know him push crap like this on message boards.

Maybe. But the question I ask is why the "media" would feel inclined to manufacture something that isn't there? It's not like Shatel and the boys are chillin' at a secret meeting with coffee in styrofoam cups and cigarettes aplenty and discuss how they are all going to portray Martinez as a loner with an ego, when in reality he is a saint. It just doesn't add up. Perhaps the media is exaggerating things, but there is definitely something there that got the ball rolling.

I guess the bottom line for many of us is that we see Cody Green as a team player sort of kid who hung in as long as he could until he had to start thinking for himself before his college career was completely gone. Many of us also get the sense that Martinez has a bit of a "me first" streak in him, which is great when he's helping us win games, but not so helpful if things ever turn out so that he is not our #1 option.

I, personally, have no hard feelings for Cody and wish him the best. I am sure he is as disappointed as can be. I have no hate in my heart for Martinez either. I just hope that for his sake and for our sakes, he has been able to develop--or, for those who believe he already had it, express--a team-first attitude.

Edit: Just read Zoogies last post. I agree with just about all of it. I personally did not hold any resentment for Taylor when the initial transfer rumors came out. However, those initial rumors--a move that was seemingly understandable at the time--turned sour when the second bout of transfer rumors floated around, combined with a little bit of what I've seen of his attitude.

Now, if Martinez is ever passed by [iNSERT QB HERE] and drops to #2 on the depth chart and appears that he will be staying there, I will understand if he transfers. I'll hope that he finds whatever he's looking for down the road, but it won't be a, "Thanks for the memories" type of send off like I think Cody deserves. It will more be like a mutual parting of ways, similar to how I felt when Watson left. A bit of a "good riddance" type of deal, but maybe a little less harsh.

Cody Green in my book gets an Honorable Discharge from the Huskers; Martinez, if he left in a huff because he thought he should be the best man, would get a Discharge.

And perhaps that's it: Implicit in Green's actions has been the recognition not only that he isn't #1 on the coaches' depth chart, but that perhaps he shouldn't be. I get the sense that in Martinez's mind, he should always be #1 here and will accept nothing less.