New Gloves

I say wear them for the Washington game - what could possibly go wrong there?
My biggest fear for the Washington game is that it will be called at halftime because we've already broken all of their players. I don't know why, but I have a deep desire to see us hang 100 points on this team. We can't beat them bad enough to satisfy me this year. I rarely ever feel that way, especially about a non-con opponent. But this year I do.

For some reason Knapp, I agree with you. 100 percent. There is something about this team that drives me up the wall after the Holiday Bowl. Just how much $^ their fans talked after that game was just unbelievable. It's like the first game didn't even happen. Yeah yeah, we should have been ready for the game, I know I know. I could understand a little ribbing, but for as far as they went with it, was excessive. They acted like they won the friggin' BCS Title game against us 70 to 05, when sadly they finished 7-6 and our season was done when we not only lost to Oklahoma, but found out we would have a re-match with them. No motivation what-so-ever, and they can't seem to grasp it. It's almost like talking crap after you beat down an FCS team, or a BCS team with 2nd and 3rd stringers, it was just annoying. Not only annoying to watch our guys not care and have awful play, but the fact they couldn't realize why we weren't there mentally. No it's not an excuse, but it's a big reason why we laid a giant egg. We had hopes of a conference title game and a BCS birth/win. Their dreams were of just getting to a bowl, which I congratulate them on doing so, but that's what their season was about. Had USC not been sanctioned, I do believe we would have saw them instead of Washington. Good for them if they are getting their program on the right track, we know how that goes, but good lord, keep things in perspective.

That game would be the National Championship game of course. What bigger stage to show off those new Adidas gloves? :P
...and get a touchdown called back for excessive celebration when a receiver shows them off a bit to much following a score? I say wear them for the Washington game - what could possibly go wrong there?
It's a good thing you can't get a touchdown or even first down "called back" because of excessive celebration.
Actually this year there's a new rule that a touchdown can be called back if the celebration occurs before he scores.
I think what Brooklyn is saying is that it has to be taunting. I think if you score the TD then flash the gloves it's assessed on the ensuing kickoff. If you somehow flash the gloves on the way to the end zone, then it can be called back. It's a dumb rule.

Agreed. One of the dumbest rules out there. There is taunting that is wrong, ie, doing it to an oppenent's face or their bench. But for celebration reasons with your team that isn't taunting? Undeniably stupid.

Starting this year you can if you celebrate on the way to the end-zone. Although I realize that's not what he's describing.All of this makes me wonder, are refs going to flag Blackshirts now for throwing the bones since you're no longer supposed to do anything to draw attention to yourself?

Sadly Dude, I think you are correct. I think they will be JUDGMENT calls, which are the worst calls for penalties in an emotionally driven game. So that means: No throwing the bones for Husker players. No FSU tomahawk chop. No Miami 'U' with their hands. No Hook 'Em horns. No Tennessee 'T'. And definitely no Gator chomp.

At least that's how I understand it. Some refs might let it fly, I hope. But others will probably penalize it. Even if it isn't at an opponent's face, their bench, or their fans. Even if David throws the bones while being wrapped up by his teammates after he sacks someone, I think in theory, they can call a penalty on us for "Drawing attention to themselves."

Well no #*$&, he just made a sack, of course all eyes are on him. Are we going to penalize the sack now? Sheesh.

I never dreamt of the day that a simple thread about something simple as gloves would crack four fricken pages. Wow, the season needs to get here. Gloves, stupid gloves, four pages, unreal.

Can't we go pile on GSG for not liking girls, or kick the Watson Quips up another couple of hondo. Or hey better yet let's take this energy and put into the BARCRAWL discussion.

How is ol' Shawn Watson these days? I've made a vow to boycott The Woodshed since The Great Booby Ban of 2011.

Well, three posts away from 2000 Quips of knee slapping fun and 40 pages long.

Alas Shawn is are only boob in the Shed these days. However he is a rather large voluptuous boob. The hairy nipples aren't that hot though.

• 3 months later...

The only rule I've seen about gloves this year is that they no longer have to be primarily gray in color. There have been plenty of teams that have worn gloves like our "N" and "Blackshirt" gloves. (LSU's tiger eyes gloves, Mich St's gold Spartan logo gloves, Boise St, Georgia, etc etc.)