Key Huskers: #5 Taylor Martinez

1087946.jpg

Key Huskers: #5 Taylor Martinez

Sean Callahan HuskerOnline.com Publisher

Martinez's strengths

Clearly the strength of Martinez is his natural athletic ability and his explosive burst to get past the first and second levels of a defense. When Martinez is healthy, he's nearly unstoppable. At times during 2010 we saw that from him in games against Washington, Kansas State and Oklahoma State. Martinez has also proven to be an adequate thrower, especially when healthy and opposing defenses were daring him to throw it early in the season.

Most memorable play or moment

There were several memorable plays or moments for Martinez. Any of his long runs in the Kansas State and Washington games were plays you didn't see another player in the country make. I was also equally impressed when he threw for 323 yards and five touchdowns in the Oklahoma State game when nobody thought he could consistently throw the football. This also came after the Texas loss, which showed he had the ability to bounce back. It's hard not mention Bo Pelini's sideline blow-up at Martinez in College Statoin, which become a hot button topic for several Husker fans.

LINK

I'm a little surprised to see Martinez come in at #5. I figured he'd be the final installment in this series. I guess it'll be Crick then.

Also, what about this: "There were several memorable plays or moments for Martinez." Ha ha! This might be the understatement of the year. Martinez has a better frosh highlight reel than, well, anybody. Ever.

I've found it easy to forget just how good he was. My memory of him last season is tainted by his injury and overshadowed by the team's implosion down the stretch. When I go back and watch highlights from the Washington, KState, or OSU games, I'm blown away. To think he was a RS freshman assuming the role of starting QB is incredible. Here's to hoping for a healthy and productive first season in the Big 10.

• Fire 2

I've found it easy to forget just how good he was. My memory of him last season is tainted by his injury and overshadowed by the team's implosion down the stretch. When I go back and watch highlights from the Washington, KState, or OSU games, I'm blown away. To think he was a RS freshman assuming the role of starting QB is incredible. Here's to hoping for a healthy and productive first season in the Big 10.

Just think what he could do if he improves even a little bit. Even with modest improvement like you would expect from your Freshman year to your Sophomore year, and health, he could be a terror.

Just think what he could do if he improves even a little bit. Even with modest improvement like you would expect from your Freshman year to your Sophomore year, and health, he could be a terror.

This and this!

I have never seen a player that never started in college before AND then went out to be a freshmen AA but still get attacked so much. Like K-dog said in the previous post, if he improves JUST A BIT, the guy becomes a 1,200 yard rusher and 2,200 yard passer AS A SOPHOMORE.

i think season long durability is in the back of the minds of many who are evaluating him....we shall see.

I agree. It should be in everyone's mind. He's not exactly built like a brick _____house. Still, more time in S&C should help him add necessary bulk. It's the wheels we have to be concerned about. He has skinny legs.

i think season long durability is in the back of the minds of many who are evaluating him....we shall see.

I agree. It should be in everyone's mind. He's not exactly built like a brick _____house. Still, more time in S&C should help him add necessary bulk. It's the wheels we have to be concerned about. He has skinny legs.

i agree knapp, let's hope he bulks up a bit, but even more we need the O line to engage and give him some seams to run.

Martinez is not a small dude, when I played ball with him at the rec a few times last year he is just as thick as burkhead was. And I'm definitely going to disagree on his legs, has unbelievable leg strength. Do you remember those patented blind side hits that Taylor took in the pocket last year where it looked like he was going to be decleated, but took the hit and kindof just stumbled down? I wish I could find some vids, but he really has great lower body strength. His injuries weren't really relative to his strength. He has the potential to really punish people if he gets low, he is just hesitant I think.

I agree this is the case with him, if a person could promise he would be 100% healthy next year all year I think that alone would have us big 10champs playing for all the marbles at the end of next year...... for not we just don't know. You see some player roll over and start faking injuries when the going gets tough but he was Lights out in the missery game and he just never came back, I think he played hurt and tough becasue the guy we fired had no plan B.

I was really hoping in the off season the rumors of Scott Frost coming aboard would pan out. SF as a QB coach would be awesome. Could you imaging TM running with an attitude like Frost did?! Heck, even Crouch wasn't afraid to lower a shoulder and run a guy over.

He could tear the Big10 to pieces with average fr to so improvement. Add in our new qb, OC, wr, Oline coaches and I think there's a very good chance he will.

GBR!!