Kinnie

okaive

Paul was a model of inconsistency when it came to catching balls, but his potential for the big play and his good down-field blocking skills kept him on the field. I think you're going to see the same thing with Kinnie. Kinnie may not be as fast or athletic as Paul was, but he's the most experienced guy and I think he needs to be out there right now.

It doesn't seem like a great idea to me to let a bunch of 18-19 year-old receivers be out there without a veteran.

But I'm just thinking of the potential for this offense in two years. Three of five offensive linemen will be here, every single starting WR minus Kinnie I think, Green-Abdullah-Heard and Martinez. Woooooah

i get chills thinking about it. and hopefully all this young talent equates to not only more wins, but better recruiting. now bo can honestly say, 'all we need is you to put this team over the top.'

• Fire 1

Paul was a model of inconsistency when it came to catching balls, but his potential for the big play and his good down-field blocking skills kept him on the field. I think you're going to see the same thing with Kinnie. Kinnie may not be as fast or athletic as Paul was, but he's the most experienced guy and I think he needs to be out there right now.

It doesn't seem like a great idea to me to let a bunch of 18-19 year-old receivers be out there without a veteran.

But I'm just thinking of the potential for this offense in two years. Three of five offensive linemen will be here, every single starting WR minus Kinnie I think, Green-Abdullah-Heard and Martinez. Woooooah

You may be right. But it sure gets old hearing, "in the next 2 or 3 yrs, in the next 2 or 3 yrs, we will be really good at receiver and o-line" like we have been hearing for the last 2 or 3 yrs.

Face it we don't have a Swift or Peterson on this team. Those guys were ready to play every game, not just a game here and there. Kinnie may have the talent to be a great one, he just can't seem to get that talent out on the field. Let the 18&19 yr olds out there, and get them ready before "2or3 yrs" down the line. If Kinnie wants to be the go to guy, let him show it in a game, not on the practice field. He needs to be pushed and those youngsters, may be the answer. If not than the TE's will have to carry the load, they seem to have the best hands on the team anyway.

Hope he gets it together for himself and the team.

GBR!!!

I've been a big Kinnie fan for a while now. I think he plays tough, plays with heart, and he genuinely cares about his performance on the field. (Something I haven't been convinced of with certain players over the years.)

And yet, I saw Enunwa, Turner, and Bell out on the field a fair amount last night and I thought those look like our three best wide receivers.

Kinnie is a liability out there at this point. If the kids are going to make plays, then they need to be on the field. I wouldn't mind seeing Kinnie sit for a game or two. And didn't somebody (skers, maybe?) say that Brandon sprained his thumb right before the Chattanooga game or something? He doesn't look right out there, whether its an injury or a mental block of some kind. Whatever it is, he needs to sit for a bit and get things straightened out. I still have faith in Brandon. I think he can make some plays for us at some point in this season. But right now it seems pretty clear to me that our most dangerous guys at the WR spot are named Jamal, Quincy, and Kenny. It's not Kinnie, and Marlowe should NEVER be in the slot while Jamal sits on the bench.

The bottomline is Kinnie and all our WR's need to start catching balls...not every pass is going to be perfect. But every Saturday I see WR's making great plays (check out the Michigan WR's tonight)...and the ball caught for the TD by Harper from Fresno St. tonight was a better TD catch than any I can remember from NU in years. Now, the ball caught by Turner tonight was in the category of a great catch...on that catch alone I give the kid more playing time...he seems to be in the mold of that type of receiver which I see plenty of playing for other teams on Saturdays. Turner and Reed can do this...our other WR's drop it unless hit perfectly in stride or perfect throws, etc. Go up and get the damn ball! Make a play!

Exactly. Enunwa and Turner had great games today, and Turner had an amazing catch deserving of a lot of praise.

I think the last time I remember a "great" catch was Mo Purify's against A&M, but it's tough for me to think of the last time I saw an athletic/impressive touchdown catch like the one Fresno St. had late in the game.

It's hard to remember great catches but I would classify Niles Paul's catch in double coverage for the second TD against Missouri in the monsoon in 09 as a great catch. Last time i can remember one of our recievers going up and getting the ball like that.

I've been a big Kinnie fan for a while now. I think he plays tough, plays with heart, and he genuinely cares about his performance on the field. (Something I haven't been convinced of with certain players over the years.)

And yet, I saw Enunwa, Turner, and Bell out on the field a fair amount last night and I thought those look like our three best wide receivers.

Kinnie is a liability out there at this point. If the kids are going to make plays, then they need to be on the field. I wouldn't mind seeing Kinnie sit for a game or two. And didn't somebody (skers, maybe?) say that Brandon sprained his thumb right before the Chattanooga game or something? He doesn't look right out there, whether its an injury or a mental block of some kind. Whatever it is, he needs to sit for a bit and get things straightened out. I still have faith in Brandon. I think he can make some plays for us at some point in this season. But right now it seems pretty clear to me that our most dangerous guys at the WR spot are named Jamal, Quincy, and Kenny. It's not Kinnie, and Marlowe should NEVER be in the slot while Jamal sits on the bench.

I also remember reading that Kinnie sprained his thumb. Why the heck is he out there if it is still affecting him? That's like having a kicker with a sprained toe on his kicking foot still being the starting kicker, or a QB with a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder playing. It's plain stupid.

Get Marlowe out of there. He's been overtaken by at least 3 guys. But at least he catches the ball (*ahem* Kinnie).

If Turner isn't starting the next game then you have to wonder what game the coaches are watching.

I totally agree with your WR assessment. Our top 3 WR in no particular order: Quincy (big body, possession type guy), Jamal (shifty speedster), Kenny (speedster).

Get our weapons on the field and then get them the ball. I'm irked that we burned Green and Heards' redshirts last week and they didn't even get on the field, let alone touch the ball in that game.

I'm just dreaming up plays with all the weapons we have. Line up Turner and KBell on the same side, run that quick screen to Jamal a few times to get the D to respect it and cheat up on it. Then run a pump fake quick screen and send Bell on a Go route. Or how about a HB screen anyone? Abudllah would be a beast on that play. I could go on and on. Let's go Beck.

Quincy Enunwa is our best option at WR, hands down. He seems like he could be a bit of a budding star. Turner, and Bell definitely should see the field over Marlowe(never understand why he was a kick returner either), however I will still hold judgement on Kinnie. He was a solid option last year for us, but no doubt he needs to pick it up.

I also remember reading that Kinnie sprained his thumb. Why the heck is he out there if it is still affecting him? That's like having a kicker with a sprained toe on his kicking foot still being the starting kicker, or a QB with a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder playing. It's plain stupid.

Get Marlowe out of there. He's been overtaken by at least 3 guys. But at least he catches the ball (*ahem* Kinnie).

If Turner isn't starting the next game then you have to wonder what game the coaches are watching.

I totally agree with your WR assessment. Our top 3 WR in no particular order: Quincy (big body, possession type guy), Jamal (shifty speedster), Kenny (speedster).

Get our weapons on the field and then get them the ball. I'm irked that we burned Green and Heards' redshirts last week and they didn't even get on the field, let alone touch the ball in that game.

Quincy Enunwa is our best option at WR, hands down. He seems like he could be a bit of a budding star. Turner, and Bell definitely should see the field over Marlowe(never understand why he was a kick returner either), however I will still hold judgement on Kinnie. He was a solid option last year for us, but no doubt he needs to pick it up.

**Don't know how I got that reply in the middle of the last post**

bottom line is the ball hits your hands you catch it, i understand Taylor hasnt helped out with the throws but just catch the ball. He is a great blocker but it does us no good to have him out there if he isnt really a threat to do anything. He has about one more week to show me he can start contributing otherwise get Jean-Baptiste in his spot with Bell coming in as well. One bright spot i think has been the play of Enuwa, he catches everything with his hands away from his body unlike Kinnie who pulls the old Niles Paul and tries to trap it against his body.

One bright spot i think has been the play of Enuwa.

Along with his touchdown grab, Quincy had the hardest hit of the game for us last night. He absolutely de-cleated that kid.

No kidding. He might've saved the game for us. If they get that turnover and score, we might have been demoralized and done for.

He also had a monster block last week. He's a beast. He's everything Kinnie thinks he is.

You may be right. But it sure gets old hearing, "in the next 2 or 3 yrs, in the next 2 or 3 yrs, we will be really good at receiver and o-line" like we have been hearing for the last 2 or 3 yrs.

I recommend reading Tom Shatel's article on Omaha.com about the issues we face now after waiting so long to switch to a new offensive coordinator. Here's the link: HERE

If Watson were still coaching here, there's no way in hell I'd be defending the offense right now. But Shatel raises very interesting points in this article. There's no knowledge depth for this offense right now, so veterans and newcomers alike know the same amount of the offense. The check-downs and reads that offensive linemen have to make in an offense aren't as crisp as they need to be. Martinez doesn't have the experience with the option he would have had if Beck had started at OC two years ago. And the icing on the cake is Beck himself, who is in his first offensive coordinator gig at a division one football school.

The "wait two-three years" tag is annoying, yes. And it's cumbersome. However, in this case, it's almost necessary given the situation. We're young and we have a brand new OC - two things that aren't going to give you a top tier offense by game two.

I recommend reading Tom Shatel's article on Omaha.com about the issues we face now after waiting so long to switch to a new offensive coordinator. Here's the link: HERE

If Watson were still coaching here, there's no way in hell I'd be defending the offense right now. But Shatel raises very interesting points in this article. There's no knowledge depth for this offense right now, so veterans and newcomers alike know the same amount of the offense. The check-downs and reads that offensive linemen have to make in an offense aren't as crisp as they need to be. Martinez doesn't have the experience with the option he would have had if Beck had started at OC two years ago. And the icing on the cake is Beck himself, who is in his first offensive coordinator gig at a division one football school.

The "wait two-three years" tag is annoying, yes. And it's cumbersome. However, in this case, it's almost necessary given the situation. We're young and we have a brand new OC - two things that aren't going to give you a top tier offense by game two.

I realize what he and you are saying. Good article. We have no choice but to wait. I just had a feeling that Bo's hands were tied, when he first got here, on who he could fire or hire. I hope that's not that's not the problem any longer.

GBR!!!

BK is big in the running game. He knows the offense. He just has to work on focus, use his body better to screen the defender and be stronger with his hands. Have a little more 'THIS IS MY BALL!" attitude. I think he will come around. I think they might want to try and put less pressure on him to be the main man and spread it out a bit more. That might help.