Secondary Problems

SECHusker

I honestly don't know what is wrong with this d*** secondary. I can understand Green being young and Stafford for being new, but what about Cassidy. Cassidy's play hasn't been up to par with expectations. Mitchell has been good when we has gotten some time. Is it scheming? are opposing offense's onto what we do? is it a lack of d-line pressure? or do we need Sanders back? Coaching Chemistry?

I honestly have a lot more questions watching this game than I had during the '08 year.

Just guessing, and it is honestly a guess, I think the coaches may be tempted to give Dijon and Antonio some more time just to see what they can do. Andrew Green was horrid, biting on double moves, again, just like weeks before. Cassidy looked timid and lost at times. Compton and Fisher trying to cover ANYONE in the slot or a TE is dang near laughable.

I thought Josh Mitchell looked solid for his first game.

Coverage could be so much better however if our line could get any push without the need for a blitz. Our front 4 got whipped, again. Yes, Crick had that awesome hit, but that was a complete coverage sack. If Crick doesn't step it up, he is going to cost himself ALOT of money this year if he continues to play like he has.

I think the problem starts at the safety position. Having an inexperienced corner as we do, he needs help; especially over the top.

The problem starts at the last line of the defense?

To me, the problem starts on the line. They played better today, but they didn't get a lot of pressure on Price. I believe the sacks we had were coverage sacks. We pressured price, but not consistently.

Our secondary will become A LOT different when we get Dennard. He's one of the best corners in the country, and all we have right now are pretty inexperienced guys.

Furthermore, we can't put a lot of this on the defense today. Abdullah muffed that punt and our special teams is still struggling. Field position is continuing to be a problem.

I think the problem starts at the safety position. Having an inexperienced corner as we do, he needs help; especially over the top.

The problem starts at the last line of the defense?

To me, the problem starts on the line. They played better today, but they didn't get a lot of pressure on Price. I believe the sacks we had were coverage sacks. We pressured price, but not consistently.

Our secondary will become A LOT different when we get Dennard. He's one of the best corners in the country, and all we have right now are pretty inexperienced guys.

Furthermore, we can't put a lot of this on the defense today. Abdullah muffed that punt and our special teams is still struggling. Field position is continuing to be a problem.

You're right, not a good choice of words there. What I'm saying is I think it is the defense's biggest weakness. Safety was out of position way to many times today. I really believe Green will get better, I can't say that about Cassidy. I believe that's the largest concern that needs to be addressed.

Once we get dennard back, all will be well.

Dennard will show these new corners what is expected, he will shut down his side of the field, and he won't need to rely on safety over the top.

I truly believe that having Dennard back greatly improves our D, if not only because we can take more risks with him on the field - and lets us try more complicated schemes. Fonzie also providing great coverage will give our line more time for sacks (coverage sacks) which hopefully improves nebraska swagger.

Also, I hope we don't see nearly as many holds next week...