Carr,Price,Smith > Martinez

but we are really not running the Joe Ganz and Zac Taylor offense, too.

But if Taylor wasn't so dangerous in the run game...would those WR's be so open?

I agree with both of these. The thing that is now different is there are legitimate playmakers on offense (a lot of them). This team needs a player that can 'Consistently' distribute the ball to those weapons.

You don't have to be a defensive genius to say 'I'm going to make this kid throw to beat us'. It works against pedestrian teams.

We were discussing this Martinez situation the other night and I can see some very similar opinions and comments posted here as were on the post about his throwing motion. Some say Martinez is good. Some say he is adequate, some say he is terrible, and some say he needs to improve his passing game. I do notice one constant nagging thing about this whole topic that really bothers me though......and it's the same people usually repeating these things. Why are those of us who do not think Martinez is as great as some of you do, that we must be either stupid, uninformed, too young to know better, ignorant, asinine, clueless, troublemakers, or drunk off their ass or so on and so forth. What kind of adults cannot view another's opinion and state their disagreement without that kind of childish crap? I don't get it, but it seems to be the way of things around here so I will continue stating my opinion and putting up with the negativity of some of you. I am of the opinion that the original poster has hit the nail on the head in most every one of his comments and if you read my comments on the other thread, I would say we damn near echo each other........Martinez might be a great straight line runner, he has no real moves, no jukes, no shake and bakes, he better have a damn good hole to hit and then he turns on the jets....That's great. But the best point of the night was that yes, Wyoming's QB was by far the better QB on the field tonight, along with the other QB"s we have played thus far. Wait til' you all see Russell Wilson next week. Talk about a dual threat! This offense could be amazing with any of the QB"s on the opposing teams of this years first 5 games. That Washington kid would light the world on fire here in Nebraska in my opinion. Like I said the other night....it's sad if at the University of Nebraska, Martinez is the best we can do at QB. You say he accounts for seventy percent of our offense, but if you really think that is how Beck wants this offense to look, then I have to disagree. I don't think Beck wants the QB running the ball 2 of 3 downs. That series in the game where Martinez threw 3 incompletions straight. Could you imagine a guy that could get those guys the ball? Imagine Turner getting the ball downfield in a one on one situation instead of getting a screen behind the line of scrimmage and fighting through ten defenders to make a yard. But we run that play why? Because it is a throw Martinez can make! That throw to Kyler Reed was a easy touchdown! Yet he had to stop and come back to the ball. We've seen it too many times already this year, and we will many more. Things are about to get tough for us folks! I hope we are all ready for it.

+1

The standard for the QB position needs to be higher. Defenses can take away his big play ability by putting a constant spy on him, because he is not going to break the tackle. I have never seen a starting QB at any level (High School, College, or Pro) be allowed to throw with their front foot paralell to the line of scrimmage, then gangsta lean back and shotput a rainbow up for grabs.

But he's continuing to look like the worst QB on the field vs just about every opposing QB we've faced.

I seriously have no idea what game you guys are watching.

Other QBs might be better passers. That isn't what Martinez is, so don't judge him as such. He is a better playmaker than any QB we've faced, and a better playmaker than most we will face all season (exceptions maybe in Robinson and Wilson). His pocket passing isn't good. But his passing isn't the reason he's the starter.

This is how I feel. Sure, T-Mart isn’t perfect. But how many QBs in the nation are more dangerous than him when he tucks and runs? It’s a very short list I’ll guarantee you.

As for passing, we need to compare apples to apples when we look at T-Mart. Like his passing percentage. T-Mart is hovering right just above 50%. Which seems bad. But how many short passes does Beck have him throw? Hardly any. Most QBs throw a bunch of short outs every game. Dink and dunk. But so far our offense isn’t doing much of that. What would Taylor’s % be if he had another half dozen short yardage completions every game? Maybe 60 or 65%? As for interceptions, he’s thrown 2 picks on the season. Both against Fresno. Two interceptions out of 85 attempts is not bad. Not bad at all. T-Mart’s biggest sin is that he misses wide open receivers. It's a problem, sure. One reason for this is that he’s asked to throw a lot of his mid-range passes on the run. Which not many QBs can do. Especially soph QBs.

From what I saw yesterday and, yes, I do need to watch the game again when my opinion is not clouded by an abundance of adult beverage, but I think T-Mart may be the 3rd best QB on our team. Burkhead played QB in HS and when he was at QB yesterday we seemed to be a much better team. Carnes looked very good too although I'd like to see a lot more of him. Taylor looks to be too fast to run the option efficiently. He always seems to be ahead of where he needs to be in order to make a good pitch and his passing abilities... well we all know what they are. The coaches need to find a way to get him the ball when he just has the defensive secondary between him and the goal line.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I get it. We're fans, we only want to see what's best for our team. We want to see them win every week. We want to see our offense go out and execute 97% of the plays we run. We want our QB to make perfect decisions 97% of the time he touches the ball. We want players to not turn the ball over. But what a lot of us seem to forget, is reality. In reality, every team is not going to win every week. Every team's offense isn't going to execute 97% of their plays. Every team's QB isn't going to make perfect decisions 97% of the time he touches the ball. Every team is going to turn the ball over.

Now I'm not a sunshine pumper by any means, but let's not kid ourselves. Taylor is a great weapon for our offense and if we didn't have him, we'd be absolutely awful on offense. When opposing Ds try to game plan for Nebraska, they have to account for Taylor, as well as Turner, Burkhead, Reed, Bell, Kinnie, and Enunwa every play. Now sure, when throwing Taylor isn't exactly the greatest, he misses open guys occasionally, but he does enough to force opposing Ds to not stack the box. And when they don't stack the box, Taylor or Burkhead, or (insert RB name here) will kill them on the ground. He's valuable to our offense.

Football is a growing process, you learn from experience. Is Taylor doing some things that are not so good? Of course he his. But how many things is he doing this year that he didn't come close to doing last year?

1) He's not fumbling the ball as much

2) He's sliding

3) He's trying to open up receivers by moving around in the pocket

4) He's not forcing things as much as last year

5) He's making better decisions

I don't get where this "all of a sudden" transformation most of you guys want to see is coming from. For example, remember in 2009 when a RS Freshman QB named Landry Jones came to Nebraska to take on the Huskers? Remember how he played? Fast forward to last year against Nebraska in the Big XII Championship Game. He's a RS SO and looks like a completely different player. Now this year he looks even better than last year. Point is, football is a growing process, and all players go through it. Benching him now in favor of Brion Carnes is only going to hurt our offense more. We're going to benefit from Taylor starting in this offense for 4 years.

Carr, Price, Smith numbers against Nebraska:

Carr: 20-41, 254 YDS, 1 TD 0 INT, 16 YDS rushing 1 TD

Price: 21-37, 274 YDS, 4 TD 2 INT, 10 YDS rushing

Smith: 17-33, 166 YDS, 2 TD 1 INT, 2 YDS rushing

Combined: 58-111, 694 YDS, 7 TD, 3 INT, 28 YDS rushing, 1 TD

Those are good not great numbers but lets not forget how bad are secondary is right now, and for comparisons sake lets look at Martinez combined numbers:

Martinez: 32-63, 531 YDS 4 TD 2 INT, 286 YDS rushing 4 TD

Count me in as not seeing how those quaterbacks are much better than Martinez.

Surely you can't be serious. You're telling me you'd take Taylor over Crouch? Quit the drugs.

If you think Crouch would be as good with this offensive line, you're on harder drugs than the people who would take Martinez over Crouch. That's why it's impossible to say. It's definitely not "crazy," but maybe a little weird, to prefer Martinez. It's not weird at all to think he has the potential to be better.

Carr, Price, Smith numbers against Nebraska:

Carr: 20-41, 254 YDS, 1 TD 0 INT, 16 YDS rushing 1 TD

Price: 21-37, 274 YDS, 4 TD 2 INT, 10 YDS rushing

Smith: 17-33, 166 YDS, 2 TD 1 INT, 2 YDS rushing

Combined: 58-111, 694 YDS, 7 TD, 3 INT, 28 YDS rushing, 1 TD

Those are good not great numbers but lets not forget how bad are secondary is right now, and for comparisons sake lets look at Martinez combined numbers:

Martinez: 32-63, 531 YDS 4 TD 2 INT, 286 YDS rushing 4 TD

Count me in as not seeing how those quaterbacks are much better than Martinez.

I would take Price over Martinez, but he is the only one. I also think Washington is alot better team with Price than they were with Locker.

Surely you can't be serious. You're telling me you'd take Taylor over Crouch? Quit the drugs.

If you think Crouch would be as good with this offensive line, you're on harder drugs than the people who would take Martinez over Crouch. That's why it's impossible to say. It's definitely not "crazy," but maybe a little weird, to prefer Martinez. It's not weird at all to think he has the potential to be better.

The simple fact of the matter is neither one of them should be considered a QB anymore. Crouch is probably the most gifted athletic talent that has ever played QB at Nebraska. The unfortunate part, much like Taylor, is that their skill sets don't match that of a successful QB anymore.

Crouch would have been successful at any DB or offensive skill position. Taylor.....maybe.