SIGNED RB/DB Drake Martinez

Hercules

Nice OWH article:

At Laguna Beach, Martinez did plenty. At fullback, he ran for 3,502 yards in two years, averaging nearly 10 yards per carry. In 2012, he had 34 total touchdowns — seven of them on returns. And yet Martinez thought he played safety best. That's where he projects in college.

Quarterback? Never an option.

“I'm too aggressive for it,” Martinez said. “I can throw some bombs, but I'm not sure what the accuracy would be on them.”

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...

Taylor was on record again for saying that Drake is almost as fast as he is. They apparently raced again after Drake got here and Taylor wouldn't say who won but said they were step for step. Taylor went on to say that he thinks he is the fastest guy in D1 this year and that should tell you where Drake stands as far as speed.

• 2 weeks later...
Steven M. Sipple: Martinez quick to tout brother's prowess

Aug. 8, 2013, 11 hours ago • By STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

<snip>Taylor hints that Drake might be a shade faster than him. Ponder that for a second. Taylor raised eyebrows at Big Ten Media Days when he said, "I guarantee I'm probably the fastest player in college football, so that shows you how fast he is."

Taylor and Drake apparently are very different in their approach to the game.

"I think I'm a meaner person," Drake says matter-of-factly. "I think quarterback is Taylor's spot. He's more composed than me."

Said Taylor: "I think Drake has more of a defensive mentality -- he loves to hit. We'll see. I can't wait to watch him."

I could swear I started a thread in the offseason about whether Drake is faster than Taylor. Couldn't find it though.

I still wonder who's faster.

• 9 months later...

I don't know how to feel about this. With his athleticism, he has lots of upside, but he seems to be getting buried in the depth chart behind Cooper, Alexander, Gerry, and, even, Singleton. If he can't get on the field here and wants to go somewhere he can contribute, all the best.

anyone have any ideas as to why he left?

My guess is his chances at playing at Safety for the next three years are mainly based on Alexander or Gerry getting hurt, and that's only if he beats out Singleton.

If we're going to lose some guys like a lot of people think - these are the situations that will have guys think they want to leave - freshmen that don't see a very clear path to playing time ahead of them because of other young guys.

Lincoln Journal Star

From Casey Martinez,

Although Coach Pelini had some plans for Drake to see action this season, he ran into some health issues that became frustrating and lost quite a bit of weight and strength. He has now recovered most of it, yet he was pretty adamant about getting a fresh start in a new school. Not much a parent can do at that point

Guess I was wrong about getting lost in the depth chart. Maybe it has more to do with the situation with Taylor.