The Latest Quarterback Thread

I don't think we should bench TM right now. However if TM continues to make poor decisions and show little or no improvement, I really think it's time to bench TM and start Brion as QB. Here's why:

1) Turner, Bell, and Enunwa are three young, outstanding wide receivers. I think Brion is a much better, more natural passer than TM. In the long run, I think Brion will be able to do a much better job of distributing the ball to these WR's than TM.

2) TM has shown little improvement. From what I can see, TM hasn't been making much improvement with regard to his decision-making. If he hasn't improved much by now, then he'll probably never improve much in this area. People -- including commentators -- sometimes say that he's young, but that's really not totally true. Had he not taken a red shirt, he would be a junior now, and he's had almost a full year of starting.

By starting Brion, obviously our running attack isn't as strong, but I think Brion is a reasonably good runner, and he is a much better scrambler than TM. What we gain in passing outweighs what we lose in running.

While Brion probably won't do better than TM at first, I think that he has a much higher ceiling.

Finally, TM doesn't have leadership qualities. I think he's improved in this area since last year, but he's still a relatively weak leader, on and off the field.

I don't think we should bench TM right now. However if TM continues to make poor decisions and show little or no improvement, I really think it's time to bench TM and start Brion as QB. Here's why:

1) Turner, Bell, and Enunwa are three young, outstanding wide receivers. I think Brion is a much better, more natural passer than TM. In the long run, I think Brion will be able to do a much better job of distributing the ball to these WR's than TM.

2) TM has shown little improvement. From what I can see, TM hasn't been making much improvement with regard to his decision-making. If he hasn't improved much by now, then he'll probably never improve much in this area. People -- including commentators -- sometimes say that he's young, but that's really not totally true. Had he not taken a red shirt, he would be a junior now, and he's had almost a full year of starting.

By starting Brion, obviously our running attack isn't as strong, but I think Brion is a reasonably good runner, and he is a much better scrambler than TM. What we gain in passing outweighs what we lose in running.

While Brion probably won't do better than TM at first, I think that he has a much higher ceiling.

Finally, TM doesn't have leadership qualities. I think he's improved in this area since last year, but he's still a relatively weak leader, on and off the field.

A full year of starting in a completely different offense. I'll agree that his decision making is still sub-par.

This pretty much sums up what I've been trying to say. This is a much more eloquent way to say it. I would just add the word "much" between passing and outweighs. "What we gain in passing MUCH outweighs what we lose in running"

When you throw three interceptions the way Martinez did, you should be benched. They weren't even close. It wasn't like the defenders made an aggressive move or the WRs didn't complete the route or Martinez didn't time it correctly. Those are errors that can be corrected. He threw it right the f#*k to them. The third one, the Wisconsin DB didn't even have to move. He sideslings it like he's Billy the f'ing Kid shooting from his hip. Watching him throw on the run is enough to raise even an adrenaline-junkie's blood pressure. He panics, tries to make a heroic, spectacular move, and ends up eating sh#t 9 times out of 10. He's not even a good runner. The only time he is dangerous is when there is a massive gap you could drive a truck through, and only because he has superior acceleration. He can't dodge, he can't weave, he can't run laterally for sh#t. He needs to be taking screen passes and zooming up the field, not launching sidearmed shitrockets.

First bold spot - reminds me of a guy named Beau Davis and Joe Daily during the Texas Tech game in 2004

Second bold spot - THIS!!! thank you for someone saying this. I pull my hair out every time someone argues for Taylor's running ability. I kept wondering why Carnes wasn't getting reps when it was completely obvious that the game was over. Its whatever. I love the huskers, but how far does one let it go before complete frustration sets in?

A full year of starting in a completely different offense. I'll agree that his decision making is still sub-par.

I think calling it "completely" different is a bit of a stretch. And I think it's more of an issue with fundamentals, rather than the new and improved offense. The only areas he's seemed to have improved in are reading the defense and calling audibles as necessary, and not exposing himself so much to getting hit when he runs. Everything else is the same crap we saw last year. Poor decisions, poor passing, panicky in the pocket, and implodes when something goes wrong.

I'm not going to call for him to be benched, but I do have some serious concerns about him being our guy.

This pretty much sums up what I've been trying to say. This is a much more eloquent way to say it. I would just add the word "much" between passing and outweighs. "What we gain in passing MUCH outweighs what we lose in running"

It just sucks that TO & Frank were so stupid playing those qbs (Frost, Frazier, Crouch, etc) who were FAR, FAR better runners than passers. They obviously didn't know squat about cfb!

It just sucks that TO & Frank were so stupid playing those qbs (Frost, Frazier, Crouch, etc) who were FAR, FAR better runners than passers. They obviously didn't know squat about cfb!

The problem is that Martinez isn't THAT good of a runner. He has straight line speed. He doesn't know how to juke or break tackles. I think of Crouch's 95 yard scramble against Mizzou. Ever seen Taylor move side to side like that? Or how Frost and Frazier would run through and over people breaking tackles as they go or laying to wood to the defender. Ever seen Taylor do that? No. He runs through a giant hole fast, other than that, he's not even a runner.

• Fire 1

I don't think it would have been terrible to put Carnes in for a series or two to let Martinez collect his bearings and calm down.

I understand what you're saying, but do you wonder what that would do further to his mental status? He would then start wondering if he just lost the starting job and we'd be going down that road now. I agree with Brion getting some snaps, it'll only help him and I myself wondered why Martinez was out there in the 4th quarter. We obviously weren't going to win that game so get some other guys some experience, protect your starters no matter how crappy they played, and look forward to next week.

This is when you need a QB coach that is not your OC and can be down on the field to help calm nerves. Martinez was rattled and needed to collect his thoughts and acually see what was going on 2nd hand instead of up front. I'm not calling for Carnes to be the starter from here on out, just thought it would have been a good move to let Martinez sit a series or two to calm down and get Carnes in there.

• Fire 1

t-mart is still developing, he needs his reps just as well. also, t-ragic, although clever, is unfair. he did not lose that game. wiscy was the better team and our coaches failed the players. it is what it is, and it should be a pretty interesting, maybe exciting, season.

Wait...WHAT?

I've been a pretty staunch Martinez supporter before this game but enough is enough. We were right in that game before he started tossing picks. Should we have been running and not passing? Sure probably but heres a questions.

3rd and long....Passing down.

Force the ball into a guy who is double covered...and then miss him by 5 yards and get it picked or..... Check down to your RB in the flat and get some yards then punt to pin em deep?

Martinez missed MULTIPLE wide open receivers on Saturday. There is absolutely no more excuses, and there is no reason Carnes should not have been put in after we were down 24-31 points.

You also can't expect a defense to shut down a prolific offense like that especially when you give them half a field to work with.

The problem is that Martinez isn't THAT good of a runner. He has straight line speed. He doesn't know how to juke or break tackles. I think of Crouch's 95 yard scramble against Mizzou. Ever seen Taylor move side to side like that? Or how Frost and Frazier would run through and over people breaking tackles as they go or laying to wood to the defender. Ever seen Taylor do that? No. He runs through a giant hole fast, other than that, he's not even a runner.

He needs a "giant hole" to get yardage? lol! Glad you know our Oline the last 1.5 years has been 1995 vintage (or better...even they didn't create GIANT holes all the time). I learn something new every day.

I understand being frustrated with a guy who's not leading us to victories, but this isn't even remotely true. I've watched Taylor lower his shoulder several times this year, and that's despite the fact that coaches have told him to avoid contact. He did it several times last year as well. Further, he's juked guys out of their socks several times - most notably the shoulder/ball fake against the Washington linebacker in the third quarter, and there are plenty of other examples.

It's clear you're not in love with Martinez as a quarterback and that's OK, you don't have to be a huge fan. But if you're going to critique him and be taken seriously it helps if you talk about actual flaws. You're just making stuff up here, and that's no way to hold a conversation.

He needs a "giant hole" to get yardage? lol! Glad you know our Oline the last 1.5 years has been 1995 vintage (or better...even they didn't create GIANT holes all the time). I learn something new every day.

Sorry, needs a giant hole in order to break a long one. By giant, I only mean enough room for him to get through mostly untouched. I didn't really define that very well. He still gets the 6-8 yard runs regularly. But when he carries it 20 times a game, he's bound to get them.