why are our DE's so bad?

they rarely pressure the QB and never hold containment. after YEARS of having great DE's too. its a large part of our struggles with mobile QB's..... and speaking of containment, it was nice to see taylor roll the pocket under pressure and make a play with his feet. so often he runs striaght forward with pressure

I have been disappointed with our DE's also. Can't recall when Ankrah stood out in any game? And Cam is starting to look really slow against better teams. He never gets to the QB. I was really hoping for good, much improved seasons out of both of these guys.

We really need some speed on DE to get to the QB and crash down on the RB's. These types of plays swing momentum, cause fumbles, means negative yards for the opponent, and fire up a defense. We really lack that at DE.

I saw Crick out on an 8 tech a few times, so they are trying some new stuff.

it seems like our DE's are built to 'rush and contain' like in the B12 instead of 'engage and disrupt' like the B10 might demand?

either way, i think it's coaching that needs to be more dialed in...such as: contain 1st no matter what, get upfield to turn the play in, get back to chase the play from behind and, when left 1 on 1--get a freaking SACK or TFL

I have been disappointed with our DE's also. Can't recall when Ankrah stood out in any game? And Cam is starting to look really slow against better teams. He never gets to the QB. I was really hoping for good, much improved seasons out of both of these guys.

We really need some speed on DE to get to the QB and crash down on the RB's. These types of plays swing momentum, cause fumbles, means negative yards for the opponent, and fire up a defense. We really lack that at DE.

I thought Ankrah looked better in the 4th. The whole DL did. But Crick and Camstache seem to not have the angle whenever they penetrate the backfield.

Biggest problem with the defense this year, when players are in position to make a play in the backfield they aren't getting it done. Can't count how many times we've had a QB dead to rights and he's escaped to only either throw it away, make a play with his feet, or hit a receiver. It's happened all year, and now that I'm watching the game from the start hopefully I'll see something different in the final 20 minutes.

• Fire 1

I think they should play with an extra DT and have Baker or Crick play RE.

I am beginning to worry about Crick. Once you get one concussion you can get others more easily. It looked like he got his bell rung again. They really need to watch that.

If you're talking about when he had to leave the game, I'm pretty sure it's because his lip got cut open pretty badly. Unless, of course, he didn't return after that? I didn't pay attention.

You raise a valid concern though, OP. Our defensive ends have been underwhelming for several years here. But we shouldn't forget one thing - we missed out on what would have been a great addition two years ago in that Owamagbe Odigizhuwa kid. He'd be a sophomore now and given his skill level coming out of high school I wouldn't have been surprised if he hadn't played as a freshman last year.

One thing I did notice was we switched to more less a fifty front. Moore was a nose and we spread crick out a little more and then had the de's. We stopped the run we were were in it,more folks on the line. but, we missed a lot of tackles and lost containment. We stay with that front, get push upfield with our ends, we should be better. we got not push and lost contain. But, It was kinda like we were in desperation mode, I could see it when carl pelini threw up his hands. We started shuffling with some players to find what would work. SJB, should be out there, Compton, wears me out!!! can't tackle. Fisher made a good play, but he has not been too good. I would personally move compton and fisher to the ends. But, then again, I don't know....we just need to tighten up and make tackles.

One more thing.....was getting all kinds of texts, "Welcome to the Big Ten". Never replied. Got tired of hearing about it.....by the end of the game all I heard was crickets.....no one was chirping.....GBR!

I think they should play with an extra DT and have Baker or Crick play RE.

I am beginning to worry about Crick. Once you get one concussion you can get others more easily. It looked like he got his bell rung again. They really need to watch that.

If you're talking about when he had to leave the game, I'm pretty sure it's because his lip got cut open pretty badly. Unless, of course, he didn't return after that? I didn't pay attention.

You raise a valid concern though, OP. Our defensive ends have been underwhelming for several years here. But we shouldn't forget one thing - we missed out on what would have been a great addition two years ago in that Owamagbe Odigizhuwa kid. He'd be a sophomore now and given his skill level coming out of high school I wouldn't have been surprised if he hadn't played as a freshman last year.

AH. Didn't realize that it was a cut lip. Thanks for enlightening me. I just saw him hanging his head and thought he was woozy.

That's one thing I miss about McBride's scheme vs Bo's. McBride's RE were RUSH ENDS. They pinned their ears back. In Bo's scheme they are more containment first (DE's) (Unfortunately we lost containment though a couple of times which is not good in that scheme)

I have the same concerns. If the DE is not trying to get around his block in this system and is instead trying to collapse the pocket, then why aren't they containing better? If we're going to let the QB break contain on every 3rd down, then let's at least set the ends loose and see if they can beat their blocks. There was a spell in the 3rd quarter where it was embarrassing how much time they had to throw when we brought 4.

I am nominating the DLine as the most disappointing aspect of the Huskers so far, because this was supposed to be one of the best in the country.