We could have an unstoppable offense.

Elephant in the room ------ Martinez

It doesn't matter how many weapons we have nor does it matter how good our O-line blocks IF Martinez doesn't show up. If he plays the way he did vs tOSU, then our offense can and will score against any D in the country. But, we've all seen what happens when he pulls a Wiscy on us, and far be it from me to say he's past all that.

I still don't understand the need to refer to the Wisconsin game as if that was all Martinez' fault. Martinez is responsible for his decisions, but he was not put in the best of positions to win by Beck. Both are to blame.

I also think that Nebraska's situation with Martinez is not an entirely uncommon situation. Many schools would not do well without their starting quarterback. I like our chances of winning a game without Martinez, for example, far more than Michigan's chances of winning without Robinson.

I don't think Martinez is past making bad mistakes either, but I think we have enough around him - or we are least building up to the point - to where we don't need him to play his best game to win. Obviously the concern is that Martinez making bad mistakes makes it tough for the team to recover, which I think is true to a certain extent. If our defense was better, Martinez' mistakes wouldn't be analyzed so critically and he'd have more room to grow.

Oh my god, how quickly we forget. One descent half and we are world beaters. We have games left that we could get run and very easily.

Pray to god this unstopable offense never lines up against LSU or Bama.

A lot went into that game last week, problems on both sides of the game. I seriously doubt if the OSU QB did not get hurt, we would have won. If that had happened, the talk of unstopable would not be mentioned.

We had a good half, no question. But let us put a few of them together before we claim we are nearing the unbeatable platform.

Where do you guys get these Rose colored glasses, I can not find them as easy as some of you do.

• Fire 1

the offense is not the problem with this years team. the problem is the defense. unless the defense can keep the other team from scoring more than you do, you lose.

the game with wisconsin, their defense gave our offense fits, but we were still able to score 17 points. the blackshirts could not contain Wilson and the badger offense rolled.

offense wins games but defense whens championships

the offense is not the problem with this years team. the problem is the defense. unless the defense can keep the other team from scoring more than you do, you lose.

the game with wisconsin, their defense gave our offense fits, but we were still able to score 17 points. the blackshirts could not contain Wilson and the badger offense rolled.

Couldn't agree more! Last year we turned the ball over to OU 3 times in the B12 CG and only lost by 3 pts. While no one likes to turn the ball over, it should not always mean 7 pts for the opp. We have to get some stops in order to win big games. This O is not unstoppable, but it can score. The D needs to step up and start stopping people.

That said I believe the second half of tOSU the entire team came out loose and ready to rely on their instincts and coaching.

Couldn't agree more! Last year we turned the ball over to OU 3 times in the B12 CG and only lost by 3 pts. While no one likes to turn the ball over, it should not always mean 7 pts for the opp. We have to get some stops in order to win big games. This O is not unstoppable, but it can score. The D needs to step up and start stopping people.

That said I believe the second half of tOSU the entire team came out loose and ready to rely on their instincts and coaching.

exactly. hopefully the second half gave both sides of the ball a big boost of confidence for the young players, and the coaches find the right combinations of players on defense and blocking schemes on offense.

Kyler Reed concerns me a bit. When we were in that "diamond" formation, he missed a key block. I can't remember the exact down and distance, but martinez would have been off to the races. I heard it mentioned last year that he wasn't as good blocking as cotton. It seems to me, and to state the obvious, the fundamentals are lacking a bit. Schemes are fine. Missed blocked, get juked and not breaking down seem to be what is hurting us. If we just miss 50% less of our tackles and blocks, just 50%, we will be fine....and no doubt unstoppable. Did I mention, we have to keep containment??? Whoever, 98 (DE), outta be ashamed. No. 75 for Ohio State manhandled him. Ankra, should be the started on the other side of Meredith.

You would figure they would put in Cotton on key TE blocking situations....maybe they are trying to put some faith in Kyler to make some key blocks...i also noticed his lack of blocking at times during the Ohio St. game.

He whiffed on the 4th and 1 wildcat attempt with Rex in the OSU game. Rex easily would've had the 1st down had Reed even gotten a piece of his man.

You would figure they would put in Cotton on key TE blocking situations....maybe they are trying to put some faith in Kyler to make some key blocks...i also noticed his lack of blocking at times during the Ohio St. game.

Yeah Reed needs extra time working on blocking. The way he allowed the defender by on the fourth down attempt was just sad.

I should have typed faster. ;)

Edited by BIGREDFAN_in_OMAHA

Elephant in the room ------ Martinez

It doesn't matter how many weapons we have nor does it matter how good our O-line blocks IF Martinez doesn't show up. If he plays the way he did vs tOSU, then our offense can and will score against any D in the country. But, we've all seen what happens when he pulls a Wiscy on us, and far be it from me to say he's past all that.

I still don't understand the need to refer to the Wisconsin game as if that was all Martinez' fault. Martinez is responsible for his decisions, but he was not put in the best of positions to win by Beck. Both are to blame.

I also think that Nebraska's situation with Martinez is not an entirely uncommon situation. Many schools would not do well without their starting quarterback. I like our chances of winning a game without Martinez, for example, far more than Michigan's chances of winning without Robinson.

I don't think Martinez is past making bad mistakes either, but I think we have enough around him - or we are least building up to the point - to where we don't need him to play his best game to win. Obviously the concern is that Martinez making bad mistakes makes it tough for the team to recover, which I think is true to a certain extent. If our defense was better, Martinez' mistakes wouldn't be analyzed so critically and he'd have more room to grow.

My bad. Let me clarify.

Wisconsin game. Washington bowl game. Oklahoma game. Texas A&M game.

Obviously Martinez isn't the only one to blame for those losses, but when you're the QB, well a lot of the fault falls on your shoulders. Hence the reason I consider him to be the biggest factor in the success or failure of this offense.

Btw, I think Beck's only fault is the sequence of pass plays he called when we fell behind at Camp Randall. Aside from that, he's called some solid games and made great adjustments to help this offense (and Martinez) succeed.

that is becks job, nothing more. He failed at Wisconsin, and got us in the tub. whether he did a great job after or the other team quit is more the question. After their Qb went down, the game changed. What caused it is the question. great play calling by Beck, good performance by Taylor, or a team that has been kicked every time it has turned, just figured it was happening again.

I want to see a few games in a row before I think we have a half way descent offense, and I truly see no need to think it is unstopable at any rate, now or in the near future.

We played a great game in the second half, will be able to against Michigan the whole game. If we do that, then the offense is turning the corner, as for the defense, my hopes and prayers are Bo gets them together, as I have far more questions as to their success than the offense currently.