Is K-State better than Nebraska???

It's pretty easy to look at their squad and say "oh, terrible offense", but they are hanging around in games with decent defense and capitalizing on turnovers and short fields. They could get to 10 wins and dare I say, they have a better shot of knocking off OU at home than OSU does in Norman. I find the possibility of KSU grabbing at least a share of the Big 12 title and Texas losing every remaining game hilarious.

No way KSU has a shot at the Big 12 title game. Oklahoma and Okie Lite are looking good and save for a few second half collapses Texas a&m isn't to shabby either. I predict they'll go 1-3 over the next four games.

There is no Big-12 title game this year, but you are probably right on your 1-3 prediction.

GBR!!!

I find it disturbing when we're in our fourth year of a new head coach rebuilding the program at the University of Nebraska and there's debate in our fan base as to whether Kansas State is a better football team. (That wasn't meant to be a dig at anyone, btw.)

+1 Yeah. But it's not as disturbing now as it was under the last guy. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.

K-State capitalizes on mistakes made by the other team. Sure fortune is on their side, but normally the ball kinda bounces the way of the better team, especially when its happening, over and over and over again.

Bill Snyder, if he was at a big time program, He would be in that echelon of Osborne, Bowden, Paterno...etc...

K-State jumps 5 spots and ahead of Nebraska in the AP poll after beating a .500 Texas Tech team.

http://sportsillustr.../ap/?eref=sinav

This is why I hate the college football ranking system. Nebraska squeaks by tOSU that nobody thought was any good. Then tOSU beats an Illinois team that everybody had a hard on for, so does this benefit Nebraska, nope. They get passed by an undefeated team that hasnt played anybody yet.

i dont think K-State can beat Nebraska, thats why this really pisses me off.

I think K-State is good, and would be a really good opponent for us. I see us as about equal. However, I agree with you. I don't like the ranking system it is completely flawed and based on 67% human bias. They always take that "What have you done for me now" kind of approach. If OSU ends up winning out, we won't get credit for them finishing as a good team. Same thing goes for a team like LSU. LSU beats Miss St while they were ranked, and now MSU has a losing record, last in the SEC West. LSU gets credit for beating a "ranked" team. Its asinine in how the ranking system works. In my opinion there needs to be a COMPLEX system with the end result as a playoff at the end.

The AP poll is NOT part of the BCS. It gets attention but really means nothing, and isn't worth getting upset over.

If you look at the current BCS, we are ahead of KSU in both human polls, but they are ahead overall because of a big advantage in the computer polls.

The human polls may be flawed, but the computers are dealing with minimal data, and they are mandated to ignore things like margin of victory that could help evaluate teams (though it is also easily manipulated and often misleading). As more games are played, the computer ratings should become more accurate. And of course KSU has tough games coming up, so they'll either sink, or rightfully get a higher ranking if they can continue to win.

What more complex system do you want? They used to include SOS, quality wins, penalties for losses...all of which are or should be factored into both the human evaluations and the computer rankings. The results were no better then, and probably worse.

I don't think you really know what criteria human voters use. You bring up some good points, but do you really think voters ignore these things? And they might also factor that we beat an OSU team that was without Herron, and without Miller for the last 20-25 minutes, which you've apparently failed to do. And the computers don't do this either.

K-State jumps 5 spots and ahead of Nebraska in the AP poll after beating a .500 Texas Tech team.

http://sportsillustr.../ap/?eref=sinav

This is why I hate the college football ranking system. Nebraska squeaks by tOSU that nobody thought was any good. Then tOSU beats an Illinois team that everybody had a hard on for, so does this benefit Nebraska, nope. They get passed by an undefeated team that hasnt played anybody yet.

i dont think K-State can beat Nebraska, thats why this really pisses me off.

I think K-State is good, and would be a really good opponent for us. I see us as about equal. However, I agree with you. I don't like the ranking system it is completely flawed and based on 67% human bias. They always take that "What have you done for me now" kind of approach. If OSU ends up winning out, we won't get credit for them finishing as a good team. Same thing goes for a team like LSU. LSU beats Miss St while they were ranked, and now MSU has a losing record, last in the SEC West. LSU gets credit for beating a "ranked" team. Its asinine in how the ranking system works. In my opinion there needs to be a COMPLEX system with the end result as a playoff at the end.

The AP poll is NOT part of the BCS. It gets attention but really means nothing, and isn't worth getting upset over.

If you look at the current BCS, we are ahead of KSU in both human polls, but they are ahead overall because of a big advantage in the computer polls.

The human polls may be flawed, but the computers are dealing with minimal data, and they are mandated to ignore things like margin of victory that could help evaluate teams (though it is also easily manipulated and often misleading). As more games are played, the computer ratings should become more accurate. And of course KSU has tough games coming up, so they'll either sink, or rightfully get a higher ranking if they can continue to win.

What more complex system do you want? They used to include SOS, quality wins, penalties for losses...all of which are or should be factored into both the human evaluations and the computer rankings. The results were no better then, and probably worse.

I don't think you really know what criteria human voters use. You bring up some good points, but do you really think voters ignore these things? And they might also factor that we beat an OSU team that was without Herron, and without Miller for the last 20-25 minutes, which you've apparently failed to do. And the computers don't do this either.

67% human bias, the coaches poll, and the harris poll. I'm WELL aware of the AP not being part of the formula. You sure put alot of words in my mouth. The kind of system that I want in place, would only work with a playoff at the end. The basic concept can be found at nsaahome.org. The model that they use for the Nebraska high school playoffs. Class c1 and c2. Their point system works, but for college football it needs to be more complex and diversified.

K-State capitalizes on mistakes made by the other team. Sure fortune is on their side, but normally the ball kinda bounces the way of the better team, especially when its happening, over and over and over again.

Bill Snyder, if he was at a big time program, He would be in that echelon of Osborne, Bowden, Paterno...etc...

i agree completely with this, i hate ksu but you gotta give the man props, what he did there was probably the best program turnaround in cfb history, what i really think is telling of how great of a coach he is, is look at the number of great assitant coaches he had that have went on to be successful head coaches at other programs, the guy knows and can teach the game

KSU has no overly impressive wins, other than against Baylor. Then again, we don't either They beat a struggling Miami team, whose key victory up until that point was tOSU, and now that victory doesn't look that great. But their opening victory (10-7 against Eastern Kentucky) is bad.

Are they better? I don't think so. Are we relatively close? At this point that's a reasonable thing to say. They win ugly but they still win, kind of like us at times.

This is a common fallacy of rankings; they do not indicate that a higher ranked team is necessarily better than a lower ranked team. KSU deserves to be ranked ahead of us right now but I don't feel they are better nor do I think they would beat us. I know I sure would rather have to play them than MSU or Michigan. I think KSU is more on par with Northwestern, Iowa, or PSU.

This is a common fallacy of rankings; they do not indicate that a higher ranked team is necessarily better than a lower ranked team. KSU deserves to be ranked ahead of us right now but I don't feel they are better nor do I think they would beat us. I know I sure would rather have to play them than MSU or Michigan. I think KSU is more on par with Northwestern, Iowa, or PSU.

yep...that is the way it works most of the time