Here is why we lost

Upon rewatching this game there wasn't a single starter on the OLine that played well. At first I thought it was just the right side(meaning Caputo, ARod and Yosh). But Long probably played his worst game of the season, and Marcel looked slower than usual and laboring through pain the whole game.

I liked the OLine rotation that we saw earlier this year. Choi, Sirles and Moore need to play. Hopefully the competition between the big nasties is very heated this week. It should be. That same lineup was pushed around for the majority of the MSU game asa well. And the strangest thing was their pass pro was decent.

Moore was in, but injured correct? But what in the world ever became of Choi and Sirles? Mystery, man, just a mystery

Choi and Sirles pretty much played the entire second half for ARod and Yoshii. After both of them got owned the entire first half. The switch, especially with Choi, should have been made earlier.

Is Tyler Moore hurt? Haven't seen anything saying otherwise.

Beck did not call a good game. Way too many to option plays that weren't working. Where was the diamond? Where was the zone-read? Why not more play-action early? Why no misdirection? He did call better in the second-half. Granted not having the drops and fumbles helped in the second-half too. O-line pass-blocked well but was unimpressive on the run. I think that comes from the team coming-out flat(remember SDSU last season?). Run-blocking requires aggression we just didn't have.

This ultimately fell on the D. They played solidly in the first-half but got absolutely routed in the second. The O had gotten going, we get a stop we can take the game, no stop. We got punched in the mouth when it counted most. Running qb's continue to give us fits. This has happened too much to not adjust, may have to relent and use a spy. Doesn't help that we're down three DT's. Evans and Thorell got beat repeatedly, in the case of Thorell he was put in an obvious mismatch.

We should've been more ready and up for this game. Ya NW had losses but those conference losses were very competitive, they had second-half leads in all of them. Ya Indiana sucks but NW did put-up over 50 on them. Plus they had mobility at qb, which gives us problems.

We lost bec. we're not giving play makers reps: Aaron Green and Turner are riding the pine. Don't know what's going on with Braylon Heard.

Watching the Bama game - FR and Soph's all over. Makes me sick that we can't use the talent at hand

I agree 10000% I'm disgusted that those 3 aren't being utilized, what a waste of what could/should have been redshirt years. :dunno

Nebraska:

Rushing Attempts: 34

Passing Attempts: 38

Northwestern:

Rushing Attempts: 53

Passing Attempts: 24

Our rushing game wasn't there early because we were getting dominated up front. What does Beck do? Completely abandons the running game the rest of the game. No difference than Watson was and and other offensive coordinator with spread/multiple/wco background.

We have no identity and it comes through in games like this.

Im done with Bo Pelini. Go out and hire a few more of your high school buddies to round out your coaching staff. You are a defensive coordinator (proving to be a very average one), not a head coach.

What?

The problem was that we did not pass enough.

Sounds like they were stacking the box all day and Taylor was burning them via the air almost at will. We could have gone through the air a lot more rather than stick to predictable runs - *especially* in critical move-the-chains situations like 3rd/4th down and short - which it sounds like we did not do.

When a team with a really bad defense sells out to stop the run as best it can and dares you to throw on them, and you're able to throw on them, then you do that all day because you realize in this game of chess that you have two queens and all the enemy has are pawns.

Wait wait... We lost to Northwestern?! How is that even possible??

I was visiting some friends who just came back from Afghanistan and took them out to eat. I figured the damn Huskers would be able to handle an easy game like Northwestern without my presence but NOOOO. Son of a Bitch, Nebraska. *Shakes head in disgust.*

:(

It's all your fault, man. How can we expect the defense to sniff out what the other team's offense is doing and shut them down, when our own HC goes to the game and doesn't have his nose?

Watch the dang game next time.

This ultimately fell on the D. They played solidly in the first-half but got absolutely routed in the second. The O had gotten going, we get a stop we can take the game, no stop. We got punched in the mouth when it counted most. Running qb's continue to give us fits. This has happened too much to not adjust, may have to relent and use a spy. Doesn't help that we're down three DT's. Evans and Thorell got beat repeatedly, in the case of Thorell he was put in an obvious mismatch.

We should've been more ready and up for this game. Ya NW had losses but those conference losses were very competitive, they had second-half leads in all of them. Ya Indiana sucks but NW did put-up over 50 on them. Plus they had mobility at qb, which gives us problems.

That's what I saw too. Eeerily similar to Texas last year, I tuned in for the 4th qtr and could believe NU let NW run out the clock like that. The defense was passive while Persa's backup kept gaining 4 yards and a speck of dust. He should have been hit on every play to force NW to win with the pitch man.

I think we should blame Brett Maher for his onside kick attempt. :sarcasm

This whole team played like crap, less Martinez. Who even though you have bagged him in another post was probably the best player on the field yesterday. The WR's dropped key passes & had a fumble in the redzone. Burkhead was injured & had a fumble in the red zone. The Defense got out played. They gave up big passes & couldn't slow down their rushing attack. The D-line got pushed back on just about every play.

First, the Defense the past two seasons has protected the offense.

This year, the Offense needs to return the favor, and in the two losses it hasn't been able to do that -- turnovers have been a HUGE part of that.

Second, go watch the tape and you can see by the end of the first quarter EXACTLY what NW's offensive game plan was. And, frankly, NU had nothing to stop it. Unfortunately, I am afraid it may be a personnel issue. I don't want to call out players, but NW certainly knew exactly which player they were going to attack. And they did so repeatedly in the first quarter (and were succesful 80% of the time).

What is REALLY frustrating to me is that Bo has continued to lose AT HOME against in-conf teams with losing records (IA ST in 2009, Texas in 2010, NW in 2011). That is inexcusable 3 years in a row.

I think we should blame Brett Maher for his onside kick attempt. :sarcasm

This whole team played like crap, less Martinez. Who even though you have bagged him in another post was probably the best player on the field yesterday. The WR's dropped key passes & had a fumble in the redzone. Burkhead was injured & had a fumble in the red zone. The Defense got out played. They gave up big passes & couldn't slow down their rushing attack. The D-line got pushed back on just about every play.

I know you threw the sarcasm tag out there, but there are some folks that aren't giving Maher credit--considering he was punting into the wind, he did a bangup job, and more of those punts should have been stopped before they hit the endzone had Special Teams been paying attention.

I do think we've been letting our Special Teams coast, mainly because we found Maher, but it's going to come back and bite us in the arse sooner or later. And honestly, it was part of the equation for the Northwestern loss yesterday.

Nebraska:

Rushing Attempts: 34

Passing Attempts: 38

Northwestern:

Rushing Attempts: 53

Passing Attempts: 24

Our rushing game wasn't there early because we were getting dominated up front. What does Beck do? Completely abandons the running game the rest of the game. No difference than Watson was and and other offensive coordinator with spread/multiple/wco background.

We have no identity and it comes through in games like this.

Im done with Bo Pelini. Go out and hire a few more of your high school buddies to round out your coaching staff. You are a defensive coordinator (proving to be a very average one), not a head coach.

What?

The problem was that we did not pass enough.

Sounds like they were stacking the box all day and Taylor was burning them via the air almost at will. We could have gone through the air a lot more rather than stick to predictable runs - *especially* in critical move-the-chains situations like 3rd/4th down and short - which it sounds like we did not do.

When a team with a really bad defense sells out to stop the run as best it can and dares you to throw on them, and you're able to throw on them, then you do that all day because you realize in this game of chess that you have two queens and all the enemy has are pawns.

This is what I had the biggest issue with. NW stacking the box allowing our more talented receivers have a feild day, but run plays continued to get called. I really don't think the O had anything to lose by doing so, and just would have been one of those games. It certainly would have put a lot more pressure on their over-commited defense and would have opened up some scoring opportunites which in turn would have changed NWs playcalling a lot imo. I wonder how much ego played a role in this to the effect of "Its northwestern, we should be able to impose out will" or "We're a power running offense and come hell or high water we're gonna run no matter what!" Bottom line is you gotta go to what's working.

The reason why we lost is simple. Playing way too many freshmen, not playing with fire and attitude and not making plays.

It is very obvious that we need an upgrade in the talent department. Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting.

"It is not the alignor it is the alignees" -Barry Switzer.

Barry was a great example of not being the best coach but he recruited the best talent. That is why he won and beat TO and TO was a far superior coach.

I believe Einstein said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. That is what I thought about the defensive calls the thrid and fourth quarter. His calls weren't working and then I was screaming for some kind of pressure, the dline was not getting to the QB- dialup something. Carl's d calls have been suspect all year but I thought he called a horrific game and was just too consevative for me. Especially on the last drive (the fourth and one). :lamededhoarse