Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

I hate this story but all the talk has got me thinking. If you don't get the "death penalty" for this what do you get it for? This is a real crossroads for the NCAA. Ban them from football and they'll come off as stern and maybe a bit harsh but they'll be feared and have more power in regulating athletics and all that goes along with it. Do nothing and you will forever be seen as weak.

True that, this is the moment for the NCAA, will they be a weak excuse for a governing body or actually step up and do their job.

In for a dime, in for a dollar.

The football team is marketing department of big universities. They would essentially be telling a business that they can still make products but not run ads with they're competitors.

btw: what would happen to their partners if they couldn't maintain the cash flow they contracted for? Say said business was one of the biggest producers in an association with 11 others?

The group is more important than the one. No one "business" is more important than the entire corporation. Divest of a liability and seek a replacement. One could look north and south, east and west, around every bend of the river. There can be no trend to ignore, no river that can't be damed and tamed.

Lately many lawyers have pierced the corporate veil. If one business trips up then they can infer that the everyone's enterprise in the competed was an accomplice. Without limited liability you wind up with everyone becoming interdependent.

I hate this story but all the talk has got me thinking. If you don't get the "death penalty" for this what do you get it for? This is a real crossroads for the NCAA. Ban them from football and they'll come off as stern and maybe a bit harsh but they'll be feared and have more power in regulating athletics and all that goes along with it. Do nothing and you will forever be seen as weak.

True that, this is the moment for the NCAA, will they be a weak excuse for a governing body or actually step up and do their job.

It is a sad story but shouldn't be ignored. Fans should question whether their own programs are governed properly to ensure that coverups can not be perpetrated. Question the wisdom in building a statue of a coach to worship at. I read that OSU's board did not let their team go to the Rose Bowl back in the 60s because football was detracting from the true mission of the university-academics. When did football programs begin to run universities? Fans and alums need to insist that the power structure at their schools is not out of whack. Such changes make it unlikely something like this will happen again. We need to examine the scandal and learn from it.

The story is a football scandal and fans should feel outraged toward this injustice in our world of football. The NCAA is there to right the wrongs and maintain the integrity of college athletics. It really doesn't matter if specific rules were broken. If I was a PSU fan (in some backwards demented world) I would be thrilled with a 1 or 2 year ban and no other sanctions. PSU is not a small university like SMU whose conference disentegrated. Given the large alumni base and the large donations flowing in, once the ban is over it's business as usual and winning football games is paramount. Play the martyr card and have a convicing "healing" underdog story to get the recruiting back up. Playoffs within a few years. If that scenario plays out I'm not feeling a sense of justice (as a non-PSU fan). The NCAA needs to consider the possible outcomes of whatever sanctions they impose. Justice in the football world usually means that your program is placed in a state where it is difficult to win on the field. Given how long the coverups lasted that state should persist at PSU for a long time.

Evidently..................EVERYTHING is on the table....

http://collegefootba...ory/rumor-mill/

That's bullsh#t, sure it's a good idea to donate money to the abuse charities, but after a 5 year bowl game/playoff ban, yanked schollies, fired coaches, and demolishing of that statue

Actually, when I posted this link several hours ago, it was talking about the Delaney potential power grab on firing coaches AND the potential to kick Penn State OUT of the BIG........(topic since has it's own thread)......

But the link now visits the idea you are referencing and I agree with you.................charities ok as an addition, but NOT as total penance......

For those who missed it, Mark Emmert's interview with Tavis Smiley is well worth watching...

LINK

I don't think Penn State should remove Joe Paterno's statue. They should just move it so that it's looking the other way.

The best play on that joke I've seen was a suggestion to move it to the library so it could serve as a reminder to keep quiet.

To be perfectly blunt I'd prefer to see Penn State have their NCAA membership withdrawn. They can keep their damn football team and argue with Peru State over who is the 'real' PSU.

If they can manage to do a complete cleansing of the incestuous relationship between the football program and the various academic departments I'd back off of that but not only do I not see it happening instead I see PSU fans wanting to double down & argue against against drastic reforms.

So failing that, nuke it from orbit....it's the only way to be sure.

paterno.jpg

PSU students protecting Paterno statue amid controversy

Posted: Wednesday July 18, 2012 7:56PM ; Updated: Wednesday July 18, 2012 10:14PM; www.cnnsi.com

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Amid calls for the removal of football coach Joe Paterno's statue from Penn State campus, some students have begun a vigil to protect it from vandals.

LINK

So do the Paterno supporters think he is innocent? Or do they support him despite his guilt in covering up Sandusky's crimes?

It is a sad story but shouldn't be ignored. Fans should question whether their own programs are governed properly to ensure that coverups can not be perpetrated. Question the wisdom in building a statue of a coach to worship at. I read that OSU's board did not let their team go to the Rose Bowl back in the 60s because football was detracting from the true mission of the university-academics. When did football programs begin to run universities?

Probably about the time Buckeye faithful rioted on campus upon learning a bunch of insecure old men with tenure took away their Rose Bowl.

I know I'm in a minority here, but I strongly believe the statue should remain at least until we hear from Curley, Schultz and Spanier under oath. And even then, they'll just try to cover their own asses. Nobody knows for sure what Paterno knew or did not know in 1998, which is what this is all about. The Freeh Report is not necessarily gospel truth written in stone. LINK (in comments of the deadspin article)

Joe Pa still has some supporters who believe he was innocent. Sheesh people. Let it go already. :facepalm: