Coach Brown.........

Comish

I know there a been a myriad of posts concerning Coach Brown’s role yesterday, so I hope this is not simply a rehash of some things.

But I seem to remember quite a few years ago that he was interviewing for the Stanford head coaching position and their students got wind of his strong faith and organized a protest of some sort to discourage his hiring. He ended up either withdrawing or not getting very far in the process. (I might be a little shaky on the details, but that was pretty much the drift of things). To me, that is to our everlasting advantage and to Stanford’s everlasting loss. Just a personal opinion.

A second issue is that when Abdullah committed and Ron was named the running backs coach, I recall some spirited discussion on a Husker board about whether that could ever mesh because of Coach Brown’s out -spoken Christianity. It was very heartening to see Abdullah close to the front of the circle in the pre-game prayer yesterday. Seems like they have worked that out just fine.

Anyone else recall those incidents differently........?

I know there a been a myriad of posts concerning Coach Brown’s role yesterday, so I hope this is not simply a rehash of some things.

But I seem to remember quite a few years ago that he was interviewing for the Stanford head coaching position and their students got wind of his strong faith and organized a protest of some sort to discourage his hiring. He ended up either withdrawing or not getting very far in the process. (I might be a little shaky on the details, but that was pretty much the drift of things). To me, that is to our everlasting advantage and to Stanford’s everlasting loss. Just a personal opinion.

A second issue is that when Abdullah committed and Ron was named the running backs coach, I recall some spirited discussion on a Husker board about whether that could ever mesh because of Coach Brown’s out -spoken Christianity. It was very heartening to see Abdullah close to the front of the circle in the pre-game prayer yesterday. Seems like they have worked that out just fine.

Some of the RB's IIRC, even asked Brown about about AA coming. IIRC, Brown responded we will love him. Brown is not the time of person to beat someone in the head with the Bible. He tries to live life "Christ like" ie love your neighbor, treat others with respect, be a servant etc.........

I have also noticed AA near the front, and in the after game prayers. AA, Green, Heard and another fresh live together and have prayer time each night. All four participate.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110915/BIGRED/709159709

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111101/BIGRED/711019748

The above are just two stories that makes NU such a great place. With all the crap going on at other places, it is nice to see NU still focusing on values.

Can't remember where I read this but Abdullah has had very good things to say about Brown

A reason for being and playing

On Saturday, when a community, a sold-out stadium and two teams needed it most, the steady hand was there.

Of all the things Brown has done his career, this is how I'll always remember him. This was his signature moment. And it nearly brought a congregation of 107,903 to tears.

This is a very good article on what transpired before, during and even after the prayer.

What I remember about Ron Browns interview with Stanford was them asking him if he would temper his outspoken attitude and he assured them he would not. They were well within their rights to not hire him, and they did not hire him. Their loss is our gain and I'm thankful he decided to come back on staff after Bo was hired. I can say with certainty if anything corrupt transpired at Nebraska (pray that it doesn't), Ron would be on the front lines to see that it was corrected. He wouldn't sit on it for 10 years and look the other way. I have met him before and don't think there is an ungenuine bone in his body. I also don't think Bo would put up with anything even close to the tragedy at PSU. He has shown a willingness to work with players and coaches who step out of line but if they mess up again or won't change they are done.

I was fortunate enough to have a 2 hr sit down dinner with Coach Brown. My wife and I, along with one of my assistant coaches (OU fan) were able to meet with him for a meal. What an awesome time and experience it was. Coach is very down to earth and obviously doesn't try to keep his faith a secret. We had a wonderful time and were able to visit about his faith, football, Coach Pelini, and what brought him back to NU.

One of the greatest "husker experiences" of my life. My son is named after TO, but Coach Ron Brown is pretty high on my "idol" list.... and I am 42 years old. He is a great man, and Nebraska is a much better place and team with him on our sideline.

That prayer circle before the game was the highlight of the afternoon as far as I am concerned. I can't remember when I've been more proud of the University of Nebraska. Ron Brown is a great asset to our program -- he was in the right place at the right time.

I was also very encouraged with Bo Pellini's post game interview. Bo's comments about priorities and coaches being part of the education system was spot on. I suspect that Nebraska was the best team in the whole country to arrive at Penn State after that week of scandal. I couldn't be more proud.

I can say with certainty if anything corrupt transpired at Nebraska (pray that it doesn't), Ron would be on the front lines to see that it was corrected. He wouldn't sit on it for 10 years and look the other way. I also don't think Bo would put up with anything even close to the tragedy at PSU.

Agreed!

Bo would smash the dudes face into the shower wall several times, then call Ron, who would in turn pray for forgivness for Bo. They would BOTH proceed to CALL 911!