Rivals Ranks NU at #49

anyone concerned yet with next year's recruiting? showing 8 potential recruits so far.

Like someone said in another thread, people said the same things about last year's class, and we ended up with a pretty solid one once February came around. It's only November, so there is still lots of time to reel in some big fish that we are chasing. Also, our class probably won't receive a high ranking from Rivals, Scout, or ESPN if we are only going to sign 16-18 recruits...

Notre Dame gets a top-10 recruiting class every year.

when was the last time they were relevant?

This. I'm more concerned about how the kids get coached once they get here rather than IF they get here. I remember a coach that won a couple MNCs with a bunch of walk-ons as starters on the team.

I think we only had 12 or 13 spots available from seniors who would be leaving, but every year someone leaves the team due to injury or dismissal over the winter. Thats how we probably will have 16 to 17 scholies given this year. The SEC teams have 25 available most years because they dismiss the kids who don't pan out by their soph year. One reason the SEC stays on top of the football world.

I think we only had 12 or 13 spots available from seniors who would be leaving, but every year someone leaves the team due to injury or dismissal over the winter. Thats how we probably will have 16 to 17 scholies given this year. The SEC teams have 25 available most years because they dismiss the kids who don't pan out by their soph year. One reason the SEC stays on top of the football world.

I hear Brion Carnes wants out. :sarcasm

FWIW, Nebraska is ranked 9th in the country in terms of average stars on rivals. Quality over quantity.

This is actually a much better way to look at recruiting when class sizes differ. What is the quality of the players each team got, not the quantity which at times is hard to manage depending on many factors.

FWIW, Nebraska is ranked 9th in the country in terms of average stars on rivals. Quality over quantity.

This is actually a much better way to look at recruiting when class sizes differ. What is the quality of the players each team got, not the quantity which at times is hard to manage depending on many factors.

I would agree in most cases, but there is a value to signing more players. I believe the success rate for any class is generally 50% or so, if you aren't willing to cull your roster a bit then you lower your odds of getting enough quality players. This is what happened at the LB spot for Bo and Co.