Will you be sated with 10-3……..??

Comish

Yeah, I'm ok with it. We just played the five toughest teams in the B1G and beat three of them. Sure I'd rather be 11-2 or 12-1. But 10-3 is acceptable in view of the schedule we got handed this year. The 10-3 record would be even easier to accept if the "3" didn't include 2 blowout losses.

that got me thinking. do you feel fans would be more accepting of the 3 losses had they been to Wisconsin (by a slim margin), falling just short in our comeback against Ohio State, and Michigan (by again, a slim margin). I keep saying "the 2 blowout losses were embarassing" and "getting beat by a down northwestern team shouldn't be happening in year 4" - yet, going .400 against teams that you had the potential to beat would be upsetting. The margin of victory would have made me at least think we are closer to a finished product...but I'd still be pretty down about our inability to execute when we need to. in this scenario you'd look back on the season and say you only had a single quality win (michigan state). Penn State was a mess when we played them...i can't judge that one way or the other. At season's end it would not surprise me if not a single B1G team finished in the top 20.

And ultimately - I think as of now we still only have the single quality win. Ohio State wasn't a good football team...and I think we kind of got lucky that Braxton got banged up. Play them today and we'd get rolled IMO.

I'm not sure about that. But it would be easier for me to accept if our losses to Wisc and Michigan were by a touchdown or so. Rather than blowout scores.

As it is, I feel like we should replace Lil Red with a Dr Jekyl/Mr. Hyde mascot--given the up-down nature of our season.

Oh come on, teams in the Big Ten will finish above twenty...someone will....

Probably. But not by much. Here's what I'm predicting...

Michigan State goes into the B1G Championship ranked #10. They lose to #14 Wisconsin, falling to #15, then lose to an SEC team in their bowl game...falling out of the top 20.

Wisconsin goes on to the Rose bowl sitting at #13 and gets pummelled by Oregon falling to #17.

Michigan ended up in the BCS at 10-2 ranked around #12...but gets smoked by a non-AQ like Houston, or a Big East/ACC team like WV or VT. They fall to #18ish.

Penn State goes into their bowl ranked #18, gets beat by an SEC team falls to #23.

Nebraska gets beat by Iowa at home, falls out of the top 25. Beats a mid-level SEC team to just crawl back into the top 25 at #24.

Probably. But not by much. Here's what I'm predicting...

Michigan State goes into the B1G Championship ranked #10. They lose to #14 Wisconsin, falling to #15, then lose to an SEC team in their bowl game...falling out of the top 20.

Wisconsin goes on to the Rose bowl sitting at #13 and gets pummelled by Oregon falling to #17.

Michigan ended up in the BCS at 10-2 ranked around #12...but gets smoked by a non-AQ like Houston, or a Big East/ACC team like WV or VT. They fall to #18ish.

Penn State goes into their bowl ranked #18, gets beat by an SEC team falls to #23.

Nebraska gets beat by Iowa at home, falls out of the top 25. Beats a mid-level SEC team to just crawl back into the top 25 at #24.

Oh kchusker_chris, what happened? Did you lose your optimism-mojo when you were forced to give up the hot avatar?

Debbie+Downer.jpg

I don't mind the record at all. I am only nervous about the way it happened, and maybe recruiting, we'll see if the staff can make up ground as usual.

More than anything, it's this doghouse stuff that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Again if Bo would just come out and say, "This guy broke the rules and is not up to our expectations right now, so he's sitting"...people would probably applaud that.

I understand how you feel, but:

1) We didn't make the CCG

2) We had a shot at a BCS game, and crapped our pants in that game

3) We were embarrassed in the 3 losses we had so far

So, IMO, we have fallen short of all expectations. A 10-3 season would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

No, not even close, it goes way beyond the record this year. The real question is do people still have faith in Bo, some people will and I know why they do.........2 reasons and here's what they are:

1. They believe in the Pelini "Process"- Bo can do what he wants it's his program and nobody else's (which is exactly the thing I can't stand about him) is what people like. Let him do it his way and give him time to build, he has "his" people in place now just let him grow as coach (you'll be waiting a while). Bo doesn't need to be kissing boosters asses to keep them happy (yes he does, they're the reason his paycheck is so high), all Bo needs to do is keep working hard and winning football games afterall that's what he's here for. It doesn't matter if he acts like a complete jerk to everybody from the media to umpires of 12U softball games because all he has to do is coach, he's not the CEO of the whole program or anything and shouldn't treat people with respect that support him and his program, he should just coach football.

2. He hasn't had enough time, look what T.O. did in his first years (yeah he won BCS bowls), we gave T.O. (one of the most respected coaches all-time in college football a level Bo couldn't fatham) 25 years to get his program to where it needed to be ( he actually showed people respect and recruited well and played in big bowl games). And let's not forget where we were under Billy C, I mean Bo completely turned our program around (right back to where Frank Solich left it) and we're lucky that we have one the best defensive minds in college football to take his talents to Lincoln. Look at the guy's record he's won at least 9 games each year he's been here (except that might end this year because we're not that good) which is the same as T.O. (never compare Bo to T.O. and put him at the same level).

The fact is Bo has had enough time, it's year 4 and the fact is our football program is spinning its tires and not going anywhere and for the fans that want to see this program succeed and go to the next level and get back where we belong Bo Pelini doesn't look like he will be the coach that can get this team there and wouldn't be shocked if T.O. figures that out sooner than later.

And just remember folks, things could be worse--a lot worse. For example:

We could have lost to KSU, MU, OU, OSU, and likely A&M all in one year, all while having a picture of a uterus on our helmet. = Texas

We could have been #2 in the nation, only to have lowly Iowa State jump up and bite the best players T. Boones Farms Pickens could buy. = Okie Lite

We could have losses to Baylor and Texas Tech on the schedule. = Boomer

44-oh-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

10-3...would be tied for the best winning percentage over the last 9 years...I'll take that in a heart beat with our lack of experience. Look at next year...We are only losing 2 starters on offense...caputo and hardrick...and we have playmakers across the board. We lose arguably 4 out of our 5 best defensive players in Crick, Dennard, Lavonte, and Cassidy (the other one is Thorell). But look for us to have a break out year next year. Obviously we all wanted to win the Big 10, but top to bottom this conference is much better than the Big 12. We simply were not there this season.

• Fire 1

10-3...would be tied for the best winning percentage over the last 9 years...I'll take that in a heart beat with our lack of experience. Look at next year...We are only losing 2 starters on offense...caputo and hardrick...and we have playmakers across the board. We lose arguably 4 out of our 5 best defensive players in Crick, Dennard, Lavonte, and Cassidy (the other one is Thorell). But look for us to have a break out year next year. Obviously we all wanted to win the Big 10, but top to bottom this conference is much better than the Big 12. We simply were not there this season.

We also lose Kinnie and Legate. Defensively we lose quite a bit of talent, but thankfully due to the injuries we had, we have quite a bit of experience coming back next season. Realizing how tough this schedule was during the summer, most folks probably would not have picked us winning 10 games this year.

I can live with a 10-3 record, but I won't be sated with it. There was part of me that thought we could realistically have 5 losses at this point in the season. I thought there was a real chance we could lose to Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan State, Penn State, and Michigan. Especially given all the things that went into this very unique season. The way we lost makes me ill. Losing to Northwestern still hurts more than the way we lost to Wisconsin and Michigan, at least to me. A part of me thought we could just get slaughtered by Wisconson, we did. I knew going to a gigantic stadium across the country in different timezones in back to back weeks would be absolutely brutal, it was.

All in all, I don't see this season as a failure so far. The way those guys battled back against OSU still makes me proud. The way they curb stomped Michigan State still makes me proud. The way they went into Happy Valley under extremely difficult circumstances and played the game like it's meant to be played, and just displayed exemplary class that afternoon makes me extremely proud.

If we can rally, beat Iowa, and win our bowl game I really, really doubt I'll be disappointed with this season. But I won't be sated until we bring home a national title.

• Fire 1

The problem is 10-3 is going to be 8-5 in another couple of years. The BIG is down and this was our easiest chance to make some noise. Michigan is only going to get better. Ohio State is going to get back to a top 10 program. Wisky should maintain what they are. I think Sparty will be a drop a little but not much. Penn State is a big question mark depending on who they get for a coach. If the SEC is going to lose their oversigning chances, I could really see the BIG getting as good in another year or two. Then throw in the fact that I don't think expansion is over by a long shot. I still think the BIG tries to get ND and someone like Rutgers. ND seems to be making progress and could be a challenge if we had to play them. If we can't make the conference championship game this year, I see no reason we will in the near future.

The problem is 10-3 is going to be 8-5 in another couple of years. The BIG is down and this was our easiest chance to make some noise. Michigan is only going to get better. Ohio State is going to get back to a top 10 program. Wisky should maintain what they are. I think Sparty will be a drop a little but not much. Penn State is a big question mark depending on who they get for a coach. If the SEC is going to lose their oversigning chances, I could really see the BIG getting as good in another year or two. Then throw in the fact that I don't think expansion is over by a long shot. I still think the BIG tries to get ND and someone like Rutgers. ND seems to be making progress and could be a challenge if we had to play them. If we can't make the conference championship game this year, I see no reason we will in the near future.

Really? The Big Ten handed us the most difficult schedule they possibly could have these first two years. 2013-14 we trade in OSU and Wisconsin for Illinois and Purdue. If there's any time to make a run, it's then.

We also lose Kinnie and Legate. Defensively we lose quite a bit of talent, but thankfully due to the injuries we had, we have quite a bit of experience coming back next season. Realizing how tough this schedule was during the summer, most folks probably would not have picked us winning 10 games this year.

Losing Kinnie is not huge if you ask me