Seems like Wisconsin doesn't play their backups either.

Branno

Interesting observation. I wonder how many teams DO play their backups on a regular basis? Do any of them put in backups when the team is tied or ahead by only one touchdown? How does a coach decide when to put in the back ups?

I'm just hoping it gives some food for thought to some of us here on the board that go nuts when we're up by 1-2 scores and still have the starters in.

Wiscy likes to burry opponents.

this........they are famous for running up the score, that will bite them in the ass someday.

I'm kinda hoping those chickens come home to roost at Nebraska next year, but the problem with that is I don't see Pelini running up the score on them.

There are four games involving Top 20 teams going on right now:

Wisconsin - Up 45-7 mid 4th - Starters still in

Alabama - Up 35-14 early 4th - Auburn has 99 yards offense for the game - Starters still in

Oregon - Up 42-7 early 4th - Starters still in

Virginia Tech - Up 35-0 mid 4th - Starters still in

Every team except Alabama has a conference championship game next week.

Pelini's MO has never been to run up the score. If he's got a comfortable lead, he's more than happy with playing vanilla offense and just making sure their offense doesn't score again.

Just because Wisconsin has their starters in late in the game doesn't mean one still can't believe they should be putting in backups. This is also Wisconsin's senior day, so that probably has something to do with it. Get those seniors some last savory moments on the field they've played on for many years.

this........they are famous for running up the score, that will bite them in the ass someday.

Take a ride in the way back machine and go to the Don Morton era of Wisconsin football. They were usually on the receiving end of this type of thing. The last time PSU played in Madison PSU won 48-7.

It's a bit hypocritical to complain about running up the score when your own team put up big numbers for many years.

Congrats to Nebraska. They came the closest (32 points) to knocking of Big Bad Bret Bielema at Camp Randall.

• Fire 1

It's a bit hypocritical to complain about running up the score when your own team put up big numbers for many years.

Nebraska put up big numbers running the football even when the backs ups were in. It's one thing to have your starter in late in the fourth quarter throwing passes. It's another thing to be physically better than the team you're playing and scoring touchdowns because they can't stop your run.

You're obviously using your tunnel vision, uninformed information to form an opinion. Is that how they teach debate where you're from?

• Fire 2

I couldn't resist responding to this.

A few of my random and scattered yet friendly thoughts on this issue,

Did Wisconsin “run up” the score? Maybe.

Is that necessarily wrong? No.

Had you watched last week’s game against Illinois, (I am going to assume most of you did not since it was at the same time as the Nebraska game) you would know that our offensive line took a beating and had to be reshuffled, not to mention we very nearly lost that game. Without question our offensive line is key to our success and we need confidence in that unit and the team as a whole going in to the CCG so there you see part of the reason our starters were left in as long as they were and why we kept going but let’s look at some of the other reasons.

In the past two meetings Penn State has beaten us 48-7 and 38-7. Don’t think for one second that those beat downs were not on Brett’s mind and to condemn us for retribution is a tiny bit ill informed.

Also, a look at Wisconsin’s history the Badgers have lost in blown outs (my arbitrary definition being 4 or more scores) 30 times since 1961 with 13 of them being shutouts. We’ve been the ‘victim’ far more often than we'd like but we rarely complained. In fact as far as blowouts and this conference are concerned I’d say the Big Ten fans are some of the toughest around. The attitude is very much “You’re a conference opponent, come ready to play, it’s not our fault you can’t compete. Get better.”

So because of our history of being rolled and in particular by PSU I don’t feel bad about “running up the score.” The Lions were a ranked opponent with the lead in the division going into the final week of the season. We had a shaky game last week and needed to build confidence for the CCG, payback was an added motivation.

But is it really “wrong” to run up the score in general? Fans and the media have shown that there is no way to win big gracefully so to hell with it…

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=DpiQByIFt8k

Wilson is still throwing with three minutes left. Classy.

Wilson completed three passes out of 7 attempts in the second half and only one in the fourth quarter. He had 35 yards in the second half and 4 yards in the fourth quarter.

Compare that to our first half passing stats; 22 attempts, 16 completions, 151 yards and two touchdowns.

So yea, we clearly were trying to run up the score with the pass. You definitely caught us. What lack of class.

(Just as a point of reference Martinez had 9 passes for 60 yards in the second half of the Iowa game)

This sounds a lot like the mumbling of a team that’s been buried twice this season. Tad bit resentful perhaps?

We’re famous for running up the score? Famous? …Oregon’s done it far more than us, strange you didn’t mention them. But famous…really? I don’t know about that, we’ve been accused of running up the score on only two occasions (aside from this one) that I can really remember those being Indiana and Northwestern last year. Aside from that your claim is completely without merit, but did we really “run up the score” in those games just to be a$$hole$? No

· NU and IU turned the ball over a combined 10 times over those two games. They gave us many of those points.

· We scored 129 points in the first three quarters of each of those games while only 24 in the combined fourth quarters of those games. Yep…definitely ran up the score in the fourth quarters…

· Starters were pulled in the pre-fourth quarter in both of those games.

· Play calling wise the Badgers only attempted two passes in the fourth quarters of those games.

Also keep in mind that to a certain degree we needed to make statements in those games. The tie-breaker for the Big Ten title was at that time based on rankings so Bielema was looking to show the country what we could do in order to get us to the Rose Bowl…and it worked.

Anyhow there’s that. To be honest I find that comment laughable coming from a Husker fan. I mean, people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones right? Since 1970…

· Nebraska has won 202 games by over 28 points, 88 of which were by over 42 points and 53 were games in which Nebraska scored more than 50 on a team that scored less than 10 or in which Nebraska scored more than 60 total points.

· Wisconsin has won 46 games by over 28 points, 15 of which were by over 42 points and 9 were games in which Wisconsin scored more than 50 on a team that scored less than 10 or in which Wisconsin scored more than 60 total points.

So yea who’s “famous” for running up the score?

Nebraska put up big numbers running the football even when the backs ups were in. It's one thing to have your starter in late in the fourth quarter throwing passes. It's another thing to be physically better than the team you're playing and scoring touchdowns because they can't stop your run.

You're obviously using your tunnel vision, uninformed information to form an opinion. Is that how they teach debate where you're from?

I think Tom is referring to PSU’s past two games with UW that I’ve already referenced. If he was referring to NU then I would tell you guys to look at the (since 1970) records I posted comparing both teams…and like I said, aside from these last games with you all and PSU we had our backups in other past routs.

• Fire 1