WE WANT STOOPS!!!

Could any of you knowledgeable fellow Husker fans out there tell me why the hell we would want this guy so badly. I've read on LJS and OWH how Stoops would be such a "splash" hire? Why? He got fired from Arizona for a reason. If I remember right, we kicked the sh#t out of his team in a bowl game a few years ago. Yes, he was the head coach, not the DC of Arizona, but still, that's like saying Bo Pelini has no influence on our defense. It just isn't true. I just haven't seen some stone cold facts to back this guy up? I'm not buying into the hype. He could prove me wrong if he gets the job, but I just don't see why people are making such a big deal about the guy. What the hell has he done that's so spectacular?

go take a look at his numbers while he was the DC at OU...he's a damn good DC. Head coaching is a completely different type of job.

Could any of you knowledgeable fellow Husker fans out there tell me why the hell we would want this guy so badly. I've read on LJS and OWH how Stoops would be such a "splash" hire? Why? He got fired from Arizona for a reason. If I remember right, we kicked the sh#t out of his team in a bowl game a few years ago. Yes, he was the head coach, not the DC of Arizona, but still, that's like saying Bo Pelini has no influence on our defense. It just isn't true. I just haven't seen some stone cold facts to back this guy up? I'm not buying into the hype. He could prove me wrong if he gets the job, but I just don't see why people are making such a big deal about the guy. What the hell has he done that's so spectacular?

go take a look at his numbers while he was the DC at OU...he's a damn good DC. Head coaching is a completely different type of job.

Yea, with Oklahoma's talent year in and year out, you'd better have a good defense or there's something really wrong with your philosophy. Oklahoma is one of the few Universities that pretty much reloads on the best talent in the country every year. I guess I am always more impressed by the guys who do more with less.

Yea, with Oklahoma's talent year in and year out, you'd better have a good defense or there's something really wrong with your philosophy. Oklahoma is one of the few Universities that pretty much reloads on the best talent in the country every year. I guess I am always more impressed by the guys who do more with less.

You mean the talent that Mike Stoops helped recruit? If you don't like Stoops that's one thing, but you can't argue with his success as a DC. If you don't want Stoops who do you want?

What does Mike Stoops bring to the table? Is he the recruiter/closer that we really need? Or is coaching his forte' and he will design a better defense to get us out of the two-gap, no pressure on the QB defense and into an attack the QB one? Is he both? If he's both, HIRE HIM NOW!!

Someone enlighten me on this guy!

What does Mike Stoops bring to the table? Is he the recruiter/closer that we really need? Or is coaching his forte' and he will design a better defense to get us out of the two-gap, no pressure on the QB defense and into an attack the QB one? Is he both? If he's both, HIRE HIM NOW!!

Someone enlighten me on this guy!

His sideline demeanor makes Bo Pelini look like Tom Osborne.

Is he the recruiter/closer that we really need? Or is coaching his forte' and he will design a better defense to get us out of the two-gap, no pressure on the QB defense and into an attack the QB one? Is he both? If he's both, HIRE HIM NOW!!

Yes, yes, yes. We have to post the position for 15 days. Hasn't been posted yet.

We all know that the Pelinis and the Stoops have a long history of friendship from Youngstown. We saw Bo and Mike have a long, friendly chat after the Nebraska-Arizona game. Does this relationship give us better odds that MS will be our next DC? But it isn't necessarily that black and white. Would Bo give him enough control of the defense to satisfy him, would he want to deal with Bo's temper, would the university be willing to pay him $500,000-plus? Bo would also have to consider that MS may be here for two to three years at best before he perhaps finds another HC job. So, on the surface, it seems to make sense to hire him. But is it really? Seems like a lot more complicated and a lot of hurdles.

Where am I going wrong with this?

Sipple has already said the money is there, and if Mike says he wants 'X' and Bo wants to bring him in, I'm sure Bo is professional enough to acquiesce. Mike brings both a recruiting prowess and one of the few defensive minds that I can easily say would equal or surpass that of Carl's (IMO).

Plus, Mike is just as hot-blooded as Bo and Carl, so it's not like we're putting the Incredible Hulk in as DC or anything. And people have remarked that we have potential DC talent in our staff now, but that it needs a few years to simmer--hiring Stoops would provide us that time, *and* provide a first-hand class in how to be an effective DC.

It's a win-win situation if there ever was one, IMO. I'm sure Mike would command $750k/yr., at least, and he would be worth every penny.

I wanted Mike as DC but it looks like it won't happen :angry:

http://www.news9.com...to-return-to-ou

Did you read it at all. The first sentence says "It is my informed opinion that Mike Stoops will indeed return as a defensive coach at Oklahoma"

Wasn't Dean one of the media asshats that blasted our move to the Big 10, then applauded Oklahoma for the weaksauce stance they took with the Whorns?

Just sayin'.

OU was very mediocre for about 10 years and because of that they weren't the recruiting Kings at the time Mike Stoops was first there. Mike did it with some talent but not to the level OU gets now. We saw NU defense this year with Bo taking a step back and being a full time Head Coach and it wasn't pretty, so compare that to Mike stoops as Head coach with lesser talent then NU. I will take BO or MIke as our DC, they are proven and some of the best defensive minds in all of college football