Official Meltdown Thread

Special teams, turnovers and penalties. Enough said.

Ironically, the very same three areas Bo pointed out as necessary to win in his pre-game comments to the press.......................Viola'..............

I wouldn't say ironically if he even pointed it out beforehand. Coincidentally, maybe.

Special teams, turnovers and penalties. Enough said.

Ironically, the very same three areas Bo pointed out as necessary to win in his pre-game comments to the press.......................Viola'..............

I wouldn't say ironically if he even pointed it out beforehand. Coincidentally, maybe.

Prophetically. Bo is the voice crying in the wilderness.

why is it that people are so convinced that things cant change? have coaches never made adjustments in the offseason? didnt both of our legendary coaches have to do that themselves? do we really feel like 4 years is a big enough sample size to say the book is written on Bo? listen I am skeptical... if I had to bet I would say that we are worse next year, but I wouldn't be shocked if i was wrong either

We have to remember this is bo's first head coaching gig, there will begrowing pains. If we can consider 9 wins a down year for a while, during the build up process, we have to consider ourselves lucky. This isnt 1997, the lanscape has changed and we are not the top of the food chain anymore. If we want to get back threre we need consistency and stability. If we dont have that, we will not see top recruits even look at us and we will become minnesota. I am not happy with this season either, but starting over again isnt the answer everytime there are problems.

The reason I hate threads like this is because people take a perfectly logical, reasonable, unemotional discussion of facts and dub it a 'meltdown' because it happened after a loss.

I'm not heated. I'm not emotional. I'm simply telling you will all seriousness that if you think with the current staff/philosophy we're going to see any measurable improvement over what we saw this season, you're deluded. And worse. You're self-deluded. We got smoked for the third time this season in the fourth year of this staff. Who's got the excuses? How about we do that thread instead? Have the sunshine "Bo knows" pumpers regale us with some explanation for why this is happening, and more importantly, how it's going to be fixed.

No, didn't think so. We'll just all have a big laugh about the 'meltdown' while the massively obvious frailty of this program gets a nice whitewashing.

It's happening because there hasn't been any leadership on this team since the days of Wistrom and Peter. I'm one of the biggest Bo fans you'll find, but he isn't instilling any mental toughness in his players. Was this year a result of what was (or wasn't) recruited when Bo was first hired? Maybe, but what's really starting to eat at me is that there is legit talent in the underclassmen, and it might get wasted because there isn't any leadership to speak of.

Obviously, coaching is part of that, but there has to be actual "captains" that lead this team. People say wonderful things about Mr. Burkhead but I would give anything to have someone wear an N on the helmet that actually cared about it. I just see a lot of guys playing for their resumes out there.

I agree. I remember when I used to watch the days of Wistrom and Peter-no one ever sat down and if they did it wasn't for very long. Those boys were cheering and getting into each others faces trying to pump each other up or calling each other out so that the player that goofed up would do better the next time. There was none of this standing around looking bewildered. I agree-where are the leaders?

In some ways we got out coached.

But I put this one the players.

As soon as we were winning, K Reed drops a pass, and I thought, "we're going to lose."

Do coaches needs to 'get the players ready?'. Yes...

but Marlowe dropped a wide open pass. Kinnie dropped a pass before he was even hit. Maher misses a FG to pull us within a score. Dennard gets tossed. Martin-ez throws inexcusable pick before half. Ameer coughs it up on the 5. Yoshi false starts 4 f'ing times. Thorell and Cassidy are just terrible tacklers. they let a guy catch a 50 yd hail Mary.

Tell me, how is that coaching? Players didn't make plays. We dominated that game for 3.5 quarters. The players self-destruct themselves.

Bo said, "we'll be alright" because if we hold onto the ball and THE PLAYERS EXECUTE, we win by 17.

And from the ashes the Pheonix shall rise.

Excellent post. I hope I get labeled a "sunshine pumper" because those that actually know me know that is far from the case. This hits it on the head. Players have so much more controll over a game than coaches EVER will. Coaches can pound things to their players every minute of every day, but in the end it is up to the players to take that and instill it into their cranium.

So instead of throwing this on the staff I'll defer it to the players.

All true, but the age old cliche is "you play like you practice", so what is going on in practice? While it is true that the final product on the field is the players performance, that performance is a reflection of what goes on on the practice field. If the players are getting excellent coaching in practice and not performing, then it must be that they aren't talented enough and we need to recruit better. And if players continue to underperform on the field, then why don't we ever let them sit for a series or two and give somebody else a shot.

And while it is the players, when we see the same lack of fundamentals and discipline on the field over the course of two or three years it still leads me to believe it ultimately falls back on the coaches.