Why I am Terrified About Next Year

For all those talking about Carl Nicks and "he's a nobody" or "he's a punk"....really? He was certainly far from a nobody, he was a very talented player, he just had the unfortunate situation of playing on one of the worst teams in Nebraska history...he was drafted in the 5th round by the Saints and, since 2010, has been the starter at RG for them, and I think he made the Pro Bowl either last year or this year. so he's a great player, who had a lot of talent, just underutilized.

as for his maturity, yes, Pelini banned him from the Pro Day that year because of his immaturity (I think he got a DUI not long before that), which angered him. However, back in 2010 (Article here: http://www.nola.com/...carl_nicks.html) he apologized to Pelini and Osborne for his bad behavior during his Nebraska career. So he's obviously man enough to admit he was a couch potato in college....but it looks like Pelini's discipline only made him work 10x harder.

Sorry, it just frustrates me to see the fans on HuskerBoard bash the guy because he doesn't say "University of Nebraska" on his introduction in the NFL...he's far from a talentless hack or a punk who hates the team....

Still trying to find where anyone wrote that.

Maybe I should be embarrassed to admit this but the name Carl Nicks means absolutely nothing to me. I'll be the first to admit I was somewhat of a fairweather fan during the BC years but I did pay attention a little bit and I don't recall that name at all. I really don't care if he disses NU or not because in my book he's a nobody.

I'm with you. "Carl Nicks"??? So what.......

The thing that terrifies me about our program is actually 2 things I heard after the bowl game and both came from what I consider a credible inside source. 1- Taylor spent most or all of his spare time with his girlfriend and apparently did not socialize with his teammates. 2- A player claimed that it is a widely held belief on the team that you're either one of Bo's guys (and you play) or you're not (and don't get a fair chance). I am one person removed from this information so I realize it's not gospel but coupled with all the pessimistic talk on these boards about Bo's doghouse and not developing talent and the numerous times I feel this team has lacked any chemistry and has failed to play hard for the guy next to them, well it really has me concerned. I am still solidly a Bo supporter but I feel I may be drifting over to the darkside if this team doesn't start to prove things otherwise.

The thing about Taylor really doesn't surprise me as he has never struck me as a team leader or even very concerned about more than himself. But it is very worrisome if he won't grow into the leadership role the QB position requires and we're stuck with him because Bo is too enamored with him for 2 more years. I really don't want to turn in to another negative Nelly but it seems like it's happening.

Ding, Ding, Ding. With all of the rumors and speculation, these comments speak volumes. If true, it does not surprise me one bit. Bo promotes his "friends" so why should this behavior surprise anyone? It actually looks that way from the outside looking in.

I posted earlier about how it must feel to some of the kids who bust their tails and still see a guy ahead of them making mistakes and getting playing time while they ride the pine.

Again, to be competitive, Bo and this staff need to take a good hard look in the mirror and make some tough decisions.

The leadership aspect has me extremely concerned. Name me one? Why did you all immediately think Rex and David? Their play? Comments from coaches? Behavior on the field/sidelines? That is the single biggest aspect we are missing. The strong silent type ie Rex/David is great. Their play speaks for themselves, BUT is this leadership or is it setting an example? We need guys who will get in the receivers face when they drop the ball, blast into Yoshi when he gets 3 penalties in a row, light into Cassidy when he blows coverage, when Fonzie starts throwing hands (where was a Husker stepping in, selfish behavior that hurt the team) etc....... We are missing that and it is needed. I do not buy into the crap for a minute that we do not need that. The QB NEEDS to be that guy. A game manager is not a leader. It is a manager. If I was Martinez and my receivers were dropping those balls, I would be on them like nobodies business. Same with guys jumping off sides. I think that JJHusker was saying in Martinez spare time in Orlando he was with his girlfriend. Wrong Martinez. Stay with the team. (in my opinion) There is a video floating around the internet that showed Christian Peter and the team prior to the Bowl game in 94 or 95. The team was together, focused and there was no doubt who the leaders were.

A friend of mine yesterday (UGA fan) said that the demise of Georgia the past few years was a complete lack of leadership. The team had kids playing for themselves and not the team. Said once leaders started to emerge, they have started playing better.

For all those talking about Carl Nicks and "he's a nobody" or "he's a punk"....really? He was certainly far from a nobody, he was a very talented player, he just had the unfortunate situation of playing on one of the worst teams in Nebraska history...he was drafted in the 5th round by the Saints and, since 2010, has been the starter at RG for them, and I think he made the Pro Bowl either last year or this year. so he's a great player, who had a lot of talent, just underutilized.

as for his maturity, yes, Pelini banned him from the Pro Day that year because of his immaturity (I think he got a DUI not long before that), which angered him. However, back in 2010 (Article here: http://www.nola.com/...carl_nicks.html) he apologized to Pelini and Osborne for his bad behavior during his Nebraska career. So he's obviously man enough to admit he was a couch potato in college....but it looks like Pelini's discipline only made him work 10x harder.

Sorry, it just frustrates me to see the fans on HuskerBoard bash the guy because he doesn't say "University of Nebraska" on his introduction in the NFL...he's far from a talentless hack or a punk who hates the team....

Still trying to find where anyone wrote that.

On another thread I basically called him a douchebag- college drop out- but uneducated douchebags can have athletic talent, and I'm not sure about him "hating the team"

just trying to help

I just hope someone on the coaching staff has been evaluating and considering the way Stanford runs their offense. Something like that would work fantastically in the Big 10, especially at Nebraska where the Huskers always seem to have a load of talented TE's but not much speed or talent at WR. Would work quite well considering the Martinez skill set of running and short passing. Nothing like a pair of big TE to help spring some outside option running and to keep a defense honest with reliable receiving on short to medium range passes...which Taylor can usually throw with some accuracy.

It might not be exciting football but you can't argue with success...

The thing that terrifies me about our program is actually 2 things I heard after the bowl game and both came from what I consider a credible inside source. 1- Taylor spent most or all of his spare time with his girlfriend and apparently did not socialize with his teammates. 2- A player claimed that it is a widely held belief on the team that you're either one of Bo's guys (and you play) or you're not (and don't get a fair chance). I am one person removed from this information so I realize it's not gospel but coupled with all the pessimistic talk on these boards about Bo's doghouse and not developing talent and the numerous times I feel this team has lacked any chemistry and has failed to play hard for the guy next to them, well it really has me concerned. I am still solidly a Bo supporter but I feel I may be drifting over to the darkside if this team doesn't start to prove things otherwise.

The thing about Taylor really doesn't surprise me as he has never struck me as a team leader or even very concerned about more than himself. But it is very worrisome if he won't grow into the leadership role the QB position requires and we're stuck with him because Bo is too enamored with him for 2 more years. I really don't want to turn in to another negative Nelly but it seems like it's happening.

After the game, does it really matter what Taylor did. The season over. Myself I would rather spend time with my family/friends or GF also.

I live up in Oregon and they had coverage of the Ducks coming home from the Rose bowl. their was only a handful of coaches/player that got of the bus. All the rest left with friend/family or whatever. So I don't see it as a big deal.

But I'm sure several on here will make it a big deal.

I heard it after the game. Taylor's actions were the whole time they were in Florida. If it was only AFTER the game, I wouldn't have even said anything.

Let me make this easy for all of you. Did any of you watch this season? Okay, now remember this season. Now multiply that season times the next 2 seasons and WHAMMO! You now know what to expect for the next two years at Nebraska. Atleast the next two years. We'll see after that. As long as Bo continues to hire all his high school buddies for assistants, and Taylor Martinez is under center.........9 wins is what you get. Ohio State will beat us in their house. Michigan will take us behind the woodshed again. Wisconsin will still have a hell of a team and then you can expect to lose to somebody that you never dreamed we would lose to because this team clearly doesn't have the motivation or focus it takes to beat those sad ass teams into the dirt.

Expectations folks. They've got to change. Nebraska it not "The Nebraska" anymore. Colin Cowherd says it best. The days of these small town midwestern teams dominating is over. The fact that a University in Lincoln Nebraska was among the most dominant programs ever is absolutely miraculous. You can't lose that momentum once you get it. The last ten years of Nebraska football has driven this program too far into the realms of mediocrity. It's so so hard to climb back out when your competing against the SEC, U of Southern Cal, and traditional powers like Ohio State and Michigan. Then you look at all the teams that are rebuilding with new coaches and they are all flying right past us.

9 wins folks. 9. Get comfortable with that number. It's a good year. Nebraska will have good 9 win seasons.

On a side note. Carl Nicks doesn't even claim Nebraska on his gametime introduction. He says the name of the Junior College he went to. Talk about a slap in the face.

Wow....why do you even watch the games since you claim it's all hopeless? Also, I say BS to Michigan steamrolling us next year. Especially at Lincoln.

If you're too big of a stud to tolerate only 9 or 10 wins then simply don't attend or watch the games anymore. Somehow HuskerNation will get over it.

Do you read entire comments before you make your own comment ignoramus? Read it now and focus very much of your attention on the bold part where I say that 9 wins is a good year and we should be comfortable with it. Then read your own comment and realize how absolute idiotic it sounds.

The expectations in Nebraska being as high as they are adds a lot of pressure to a pressure filled situation. Pressure on these players and coaches that they obviously cannot handle. Look at how this team and coaches responds to adversity. Bo yells and screams, he gets angry at press conferences with his rhetorical and snide remarks. Look at this team when the ball doesn't bounce their way. You can watch Nebraska football and see that once something goes wrong it's almost like saying "uh oh, here we go". Mainly my comment is directed towards fans though. Fans can get coaches fired. Believe it. When you have players like Taylor coming out and saying "if we don't compete for a national championship next year I'll be very disapponted". What good does a comment like that do? What about this season gave him the impression that we could compete for a title next year? Did he not watch any other teams? Has he not seen what some of the offenses and defenses around the country are doing? It's incredible. We are nowhere near that level. If you can't swallow that pill, then it's your ass that needs to take a break from the game.

Not pissing on the parade here. Trying to get my thoughts out there that this team has a long ways to go. People talking about Conference Championships or National Championships are out of their f'ing' heads in my opinion. The most important things this coaching staff and these players could do right now is put their heads down, put the blinders on, shut their f'ing' mouths and go to work.

• Fire 1

Let me make this easy for all of you. Did any of you watch this season? Okay, now remember this season. Now multiply that season times the next 2 seasons and WHAMMO! You now know what to expect for the next two years at Nebraska. Atleast the next two years. We'll see after that. As long as Bo continues to hire all his high school buddies for assistants, and Taylor Martinez is under center.........9 wins is what you get. Ohio State will beat us in their house. Michigan will take us behind the woodshed again. Wisconsin will still have a hell of a team and then you can expect to lose to somebody that you never dreamed we would lose to because this team clearly doesn't have the motivation or focus it takes to beat those sad ass teams into the dirt.

Expectations folks. They've got to change. Nebraska it not "The Nebraska" anymore. Colin Cowherd says it best. The days of these small town midwestern teams dominating is over. The fact that a University in Lincoln Nebraska was among the most dominant programs ever is absolutely miraculous. You can't lose that momentum once you get it. The last ten years of Nebraska football has driven this program too far into the realms of mediocrity. It's so so hard to climb back out when your competing against the SEC, U of Southern Cal, and traditional powers like Ohio State and Michigan. Then you look at all the teams that are rebuilding with new coaches and they are all flying right past us.

9 wins folks. 9. Get comfortable with that number. It's a good year. Nebraska will have good 9 win seasons.

On a side note. Carl Nicks doesn't even claim Nebraska on his gametime introduction. He says the name of the Junior College he went to. Talk about a slap in the face.

Wow....why do you even watch the games since you claim it's all hopeless? Also, I say BS to Michigan steamrolling us next year. Especially at Lincoln.

If you're too big of a stud to tolerate only 9 or 10 wins then simply don't attend or watch the games anymore. Somehow HuskerNation will get over it.

Do you read entire comments before you make your own comment ignoramus? Read it now and focus very much of your attention on the bold part where I say that 9 wins is a good year and we should be comfortable with it. Then read your own comment and realize how absolute idiotic it sounds.

The expectations in Nebraska being as high as they are adds a lot of pressure to a pressure filled situation. Pressure on these players and coaches that they obviously cannot handle. Look at how this team and coaches responds to adversity. Bo yells and screams, he gets angry at press conferences with his rhetorical and snide remarks. Look at this team when the ball doesn't bounce their way. You can watch Nebraska football and see that once something goes wrong it's almost like saying "uh oh, here we go". Mainly my comment is directed towards fans though. Fans can get coaches fired. Believe it. When you have players like Taylor coming out and saying "if we don't compete for a national championship next year I'll be very disapponted". What good does a comment like that do? What about this season gave him the impression that we could compete for a title next year? Did he not watch any other teams? Has he not seen what some of the offenses and defenses around the country are doing? It's incredible. We are nowhere near that level. If you can't swallow that pill, then it's your ass that needs to take a break from the game.

Not pissing on the parade here. Trying to get my thoughts out there that this team has a long ways to go. People talking about Conference Championships or National Championships are out of their f'ing' heads in my opinion. The most important things this coaching staff and these players could do right now is put their heads down, put the blinders on, shut their f'ing' mouths and go to work.

+1

If watching a sport/sports team/sports team's upcoming season terrified me, I probably wouldn't watch. Silly thing to be terrified by, really.

I'll be there with bells on.

Of course you are right. Terrified, scared, frightened, etc. are probably not well chosen words. But, for fans with an emotional attachment, I think we all understand what is trying to be conveyed. Concerned, disappointed, etc. are certainly more appropriate. In the grand scheme, really doesn't matter if they go 0-12 in the most pathetic way imaginable.

If watching a sport/sports team/sports team's upcoming season terrified me, I probably wouldn't watch. Silly thing to be terrified by, really.

I'll be there with bells on.

Of course you are right. Terrified, scared, frightened, etc. are probably not well chosen words. But, for fans with an emotional attachment, I think we all understand what is trying to be conveyed. Concerned, disappointed, etc. are certainly more appropriate. In the grand scheme, really doesn't matter if they go 0-12 in the most pathetic way imaginable.

Terrified is the correct word. I live 30 minutes from Ann Arbor Michigan, and the grief I took after this years loss was unbelievable. I had to hear all the 1997 garbage again. I really don't want Nebraska to be Michigan's whipping boy for the next few years. It would be worse than the Texas situation. ;)

Nebraska will have good 9 win seasons.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as a "good" 9 win season. Mediocre, sure, but I hope I never get to the state of standards low enough that I'd say a 9-win season is a "good" season.

That's okay, I don't even remember the guy.