Defense vs Offense

Tonight's BCS/MNC game really highlights two things relevant to Nebraska football.

1. A defense like we had in 2009, swarming, hard hitting and quick got us 1 mythological second from a shot at that national title..Alabama has that kind of defense on the field tonight.

2. When a defense know it does not have to show concern for even a minimally consistent down-field passing threat, it will overwhelm an offense that is otherwise talented. Between dropped balls and passing inconsistency, teams this year were able to just line up and come at us.

Personally, I think both of those things can be fixed for next year. Young studs on defense and the offensive line in addition to Taylor Martinez advancing as much as he did this year. I'd love to see this fleet of young, fast backs turn into receivers out of the backfield next year. Hey...it could happen....

nebraska,s offense this year was just too predictable. a good offense would be able to spring the i-back for some long yards ,,,,and this didi not happen much this year at nu.......but you have to consider nu,s offensive line,,,,very young....they just could not open the big holes and make a push on the defenses.....will be interesting to see these players in 2 or 3 yrs from now..

nebraska,s offense this year was just too predictable. a good offense would be able to spring the i-back for some long yards ,,,,and this didi not happen much this year at nu.......but you have to consider nu,s offensive line,,,,very young....they just could not open the big holes and make a push on the defenses.....will be interesting to see these players in 2 or 3 yrs from now..

The only thing that was predictable about the offense is that eventually they were going to self destruct (Penalties, Dropped Passes and fumbles). From the Northwestern game forward, they moved the ball on every team they played.

Your analysis of a 'good offense'(be able to spring the i-back for some long yards) tells me you missed the BCS National Championship game yesterday.

Um....we wouldn't have made it to the Natty Championship in '09.....would've made it to a sweet BCS bowl though....

Exactly what I was going to say. I would note that alot of Bama's Dlinemen didn't look all that. They just all seemed tough, good burst and knew how to run to the ball-every position. Speed on the D-line was the main difference I noticed. But its also that those guys were unblockable. We however seem like we are playing the old style absorb the blocker type of defense

Oh yeah....LSU has no idea how to run an option play....they make us look awesome in that department..

Yeah, LSU looked pathetic. But Bama's D can probably defend the option as good as anyone in the nation. They made both sides of the field look like the short side. I doubt NU would do very much better running the option against Bama.

Oh yeah....LSU has no idea how to run an option play....they make us look awesome in that department..

Yeah, LSU looked pathetic. But Bama's D can probably defend the option as good as anyone in the nation. They made both sides of the field look like the short side. I doubt NU would do very much better running the option against Bama.

LSU's option problems were totally on Jefferson. Not once did he make his man completely committ. How many times did the qb man get out and make the tackle for loss on the pitch man. And why are they running power and speed option to boundry anyway. Arent you supposed to run triple option to the boundry and power/speed to the field? Regardless, yes, LSU's option attack was pathetic.

LSU's option problems were totally on Jefferson. Not once did he make his man completely committ. How many times did the qb man get out and make the tackle for loss on the pitch man. And why are they running power and speed option to boundry anyway. Arent you supposed to run triple option to the boundry and power/speed to the field? Regardless, yes, LSU's option attack was pathetic.

LSU's Option problems also came from a poor design. I watched about three minutes of that game, during which I saw two options. Neither time did the play-side Tackle seal the end. The DE was upfield too early, making Jefferson have to pitch before a true option could be presented.

Nebraska has this problem with our current option as well. For the option to work you have to force the defense to make a decision in space, not immediately at the point of attack next to the line. Today we run the option right against the line, turning the corner without sealing the edge. That means we're not optioning a LB or DB, but a DE. This allows the DE to get to the point of attack too early, or to get backfield penetration too early, throwing off the timing and taking away the choice on the play. Taylor, like Jefferson, often has zero choice but to pitch the ball - and that's no option, that's just a pitch further down the line.

It seems as though we run the Option today as an effort to appease the fans longing for the Glory Days, without committing to learning what to do to make it actually work.

I'm not so sure optioning the DE is the problem so much as where the RB is. LSU's RBs were directly behind the QB. That's why the defenders had so much time to react to the pitch and track down the RB (though Jefferson made it that much easier by pitching too early). The RB needs to be nearly on the same yard line as the QB so he's already by the optioned defender by the time he gets the pitch.

Nebraska attempts to do this by having the QB reverse pivot or hesitate coming down the line, giving the RB time to get out in front. The tricky part about optioning the DE is if he crashes hard, you have to be ready to pitch quickly, which Martinez didn't do on a few occasions and that's when you can get fumbles (like the forward-backward pitch against Minnesota).

Tonight's BCS/MNC game really highlights two things relevant to Nebraska football.

1. A defense like we had in 2009, swarming, hard hitting and quick got us 1 mythological second from a shot at that national title..Alabama has that kind of defense on the field tonight.

2. When a defense know it does not have to show concern for even a minimally consistent down-field passing threat, it will overwhelm an offense that is otherwise talented. Between dropped balls and passing inconsistency, teams this year were able to just line up and come at us.

Personally, I think both of those things can be fixed for next year. Young studs on defense and the offensive line in addition to Taylor Martinez advancing as much as he did this year. I'd love to see this fleet of young, fast backs turn into receivers out of the backfield next year. Hey...it could happen....

If you cannot block and cannot tackle, you cannot win. In order to do those two things, we need better athletes at those positions. End of story.

• 3 weeks later...