For any fitness fanatics on this message board

I know a guy who does the Bad Water Marathon. I think it is something like 130 miles over 3 mountain ranges and Death Valley in 120+ degree heat. He has done it for 3-4 years now. I think he does something like 10-15 marathons each year to lead up to it.

That is way too extreme.

Badwater is nuts. But many people who do races like that have addictive personalities and there are worse addictions to have (and some have had them) so it's not necessarily bad for them.

I know a guy who does the Bad Water Marathon. I think it is something like 130 miles over 3 mountain ranges and Death Valley in 120+ degree heat. He has done it for 3-4 years now. I think he does something like 10-15 marathons each year to lead up to it.

That is way too extreme.

Badwater is nuts. But many people who do races like that have addictive personalities and there are worse addictions to have (and some have had them) so it's not necessarily bad for them.

You should try the Himalayan 100 :)

http://blip.tv/running-times/himalayan-100-5877390

That is way too extreme.

You should try the Himalayan 100 :)

http://blip.tv/runni...yan-100-5877390

Eh, 5 days to finish, looks tough but I think I could do it. The Barkley Marathons, on the other hand ...

http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/

A friend of mine is running it this year. Another friend is actually one of the very few (13) who has finished it.

The diet bit that you mention is a great point that is often neglected when discussing general fitness. A lot of people want to lose weight and/or tone up and think that by running, doing crunches, and other gym exercises for an hour a few days a week, they'll reach their goal. Well, while you may add muscle, diet is really where its at. I follow an intermittent fasting regimen that works for me, but any incremental improvements that you make to your diet can have an excellent effect on your overall health and body.

My diet is based around the amount of macros i that intake every 2-3 hrs. EX...I get up in the morning and consume 16g of fat with 45g of protein( 2 tablespoons of real peanut butter and 1/4 cup of egg whites), 2-3 hrs later, I consume 45g of protien and 20g of carbs, no fat, 2-3 hrs later, 8g of fat and 25g of protien( i will follow this one till I go to bed or till workout)...post workout is 50g of carbs and 50g of protien, 1-2 hrs later, it is 8g of fat, 20g of carbs and 50g of protien. 2-3hr later, I go back to the 8g of fat and 25g of protien till bed.

It goes like this everyday except on Saturdays, that day you want to eat as many carbs as possible for an 8 hr period and then go back to you eating plan. what this does is restores your glycogen levels back to normal and kicks your metabolism into high gear. you will actually start sweating when this happens and your muscles will "balloon out" also. It is a pretty neat feeling

I have never done CF and I don't think I will. I have a routine that was given to me from a trainer and pro bodybuilder that I met through a friend and it has worked great. He told me that a person should only do about 20 mins of cardio, 3x a week and no more as it will start doing more harm then good. He said that going more then 20 mins will start having a reverse affect on your heart, kinda like lifting for a long period of time and your muscles can't take anymore cause of the acid build-up.

I know this isn't necessarily how you meant this but I had a personal chuckle with this comment. My father has been a major motivator for me in staying in shape. This is because he has always been the exact opposite. He is extremely over weight and has had health problems because of it. He never exercised his entire life and is now 78 years old and has problems getting around...etc. I want to be like my father in so many ways but physically is not one of them.

I remember a few years ago him sitting around with a group of people who really got into running. These people ran multiple marathons each year. All of a sudden he starts asking them if runners actually live longer...etc. He was implying that them exercising was ridiculous and really wasn't making them any healthier. They all just looked at him in amazement.

I understand what you are saying and the jury is really out on your statement. But, it reminded me of this moment.

I endorse the "don't run more than twenty minutes" mentality. As much as you're improving your cardiovascular fitness and burning calories, it really does start eating into your muscle and doesn't really tone or shape your body very much. The picture explains it all:

marathoner-vs-sprinter-female.jpg

I fully endorse HIIT and sprint intervals.

The sprinter just looks happier the others just look miserable and bored.

You know, if you had to pick only 3 exercises that you could do, what would they be?

1. Pull ups

2. Push ups

3. Dead lifts (even though I hate them and never do that)

I think with those 3, you could probably hit most everything.

If you're only doing 3?

1. Push ups

2. Sit ups

3. Cardio of some type

Core strength is probably the most important aspect to being in shape. Your core helps you bend, twist, breathe, sit up, stand up straight, and on and on and on.

Not to hijak the thread more than I have, but situps would actually rank pretty far down on the list; there are so many better/more efficient exercises to work your core that will also benefit multiple other areas of your body (deadlifts, overhead squats,etc.).

Also, have to be a tad more specific than just cardio. To be honest, when I train for running races, I may only run two days a week, including race day. Getting a good kettlebell regime going not only greatly benefits cardio but will tone the hell out of a lot of your body, especially in areas that are oftentimes neglected.

There probably are for toning, but for just the casual person, cardio, push-ups, and situps and/or crunches are the essentials IMO. Obviously not everybody would agree, which is fine. There's just not a lot you could do with only 3 workouts.

And I agree with you on the cardio part. I am going for muscle gains, so going out and running a few miles would totally go against everything that I am trying to accomplish. But I still do want to cut some belly fat, so basketball is my go-to. Something short and explosive. Starting and stopping. Long distance running tends to get rid of muscle just as much as fat.

OK, something that has made me laugh for a long time.

Do any of you listen to 1620 sports radio in Omaha? I do via the internet.

Anyway, they run an ad for Physicians Directed Weight Loss. This ad comes up what seems like 20 times an hour. What I find funny about this is the guy who they got to do the ad sounds like he is about 60 years old, fat, smoker with a scotch in his hand.

Since I do some marketing for my company, I seem to pay attention to these things. BUT, this guys voice does nothing to make me want to call up and have that company help me lose weight.

Have any of you heard this and had the same thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

So to take this thread on a little different tangent, PRE WORKOUT SUPPLEMENTS!!!

34654758.jpg

This is what I am taking right now. It is incredible, but it makes my skin feel itchy and tingly, especially on my face.

Any other pre workouts that anybody has had any success with that I could try once this bottle runs out?

So to take this thread on a little different tangent, PRE WORKOUT SUPPLEMENTS!!!

34654758.jpg

This is what I am taking right now. It is incredible, but it makes my skin feel itchy and tingly, especially on my face.

Any other pre workouts that anybody has had any success with that I could try once this bottle runs out?

Scream from Body Building.com (crazy amount of caffeine 300 mg)

Proanox velocity (smooth with no crash) Their Genesis is awesome for joint pain

Scivation novem

I am interested in the atlarge nutrition pre-workout

I like scream and the atlarge as they specifically list the amount of each ingredient instead of some "blend" with numerous ingredients and stuff I can't pronounce.

The tingling you are feeling is from the Beta-Alanine (I love that feeling!)

On another note, for those looking at crossfit hybrids check out Grey Skull Linear or even Crossfit football or crossfit mayhem. They include the basic lifts with the traditional WODS or METCONS of CF. Also SPDcrossfit has the basic lifts with accessory lifts and then the WODS/METCONS.

Bottom line, do something.

The tingling you are feeling is from the Beta-Alanine (I love that feeling!)

Yeah, it's not terrible except when I heap the scoop a little too much and it makes my face feel like my skin is about to peel off :lol:

My best friend works at a supplement store, so he gave me a free sample of Hyde to try and I liked the endurance it gave me so I bought some. Still love it except for when the tingly feeling is excessive. I guess I'm just looking to try new things.

And I will be surprised if the previous 2 sentences do not end up in the out of context quote thread....

This is what I'm currently using:

pGNC1-2814812t300x300.jpg

I usually lift/run at night around 9 or 10, this stuff really gets me pumped. I've noticed a change in my pumps, along with muscle endurance. GNC has it on sale right now for I think 34.99, when it's normally 64.99 and it doesn't taste like sh#t.