For any fitness fanatics on this message board

Well, I was going to try to run Lincoln Half Marathon but I think I'm about a week too late signing up.

Hmmmmm.....

I think it's 10 bucks to get in the lottery for the remaining 500 spots isn't it? I was going to try and do that as well, but I'm just not comfortable running long distances yet. My knees love it just running 2 to 3 miles a few times per week.

What I read it sounded like even those spots were taken.

• 3 weeks later...

5/3/1 is good stuff. I think it helps the experienced lifter more. For beginners, I think Starting Strength is unmatched.

I've been doing this for years http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/no-plateau-workout and works well. It's gotten me close to Advanced level in most of the 4 main lifts squat, deadlift, shoulder press and bench. The 1/2 + 1 programming is simple since the weight is the same for a workout so it's easier to determine the weight you should be lifting for the week. If interested I can send my excel spreadsheet with the workouts. Takes about 5 minutes to fill out for a week of workouts.

5/3/1 is good stuff. I think it helps the experienced lifter more. For beginners, I think Starting Strength is unmatched.

I've been doing this for years http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/no-plateau-workout and works well. It's gotten me close to Advanced level in most of the 4 main lifts squat, deadlift, shoulder press and bench. The 1/2 + 1 programming is simple since the weight is the same for a workout so it's easier to determine the weight you should be lifting for the week. If interested I can send my excel spreadsheet with the workouts. Takes about 5 minutes to fill out for a week of workouts.

I like reading some of Mark's columns on tnation.com. He is a pretty smart dude when if comes to lifting. He is an old school type of guy.

Dave Tate is another guy that is built in the same mold as Mark and Jim when it comes to lifting. All 3 guys are very good at what they do.

• 3 weeks later...

This! Strength training, especially for beginners, is brutally simple.

Oh and if you haven't trained with a barbell consistently, you're a beginner.

That is the only way to train in my eyes Dave. I have never cared for machines but will use them as an accessory lift. ALL my core lifts are with a barbell and that will never change.

Just completed my 2nd cycle of 5/3/1 and have loved every bit of it. I am going to run 6 cycles, do some 1RM's and go at it again.

That is the only way to train in my eyes Dave. I have never cared for machines but will use them as an accessory lift. ALL my core lifts are with a barbell and that will never change.

Just completed my 2nd cycle of 5/3/1 and have loved every bit of it. I am going to run 6 cycles, do some 1RM's and go at it again.

Awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Why does leg day suck?!!!

Because it's awesome, some say it's the only way to get bigger, your body releases more testosterone by doing legs. No idea if it's true or not though, as a cop, every time I do a killer leg day and have a hard time walking, guaranteed foot pursuit with fences. :lol:

Why does leg day suck?!!!

Because it's awesome, some say it's the only way to get bigger, your body releases more testosterone by doing legs. No idea if it's true or not though, as a cop, every time I do a killer leg day and have a hard time walking, guaranteed foot pursuit with fences. :lol:

That's the worst part! Other than injuries (knees, back, bone bruise) it's also a major reason why I avoided them for a long time. I wanted to be active and ride my bike or go for a run 3 or 4 times a week, and that just sucks when you move like an old man, and can barely bend over or sit down.

I only have one friend that loves leg day. The rest of us hate it. Funny how we just kind of "skip" leg days. It's not doing me any good at all, I need to get my ass motivated and start hitting legs more but damn it's just not any fun to do. Plus, like you guys said, it never fails after I kill my legs at the gym, the next day at work I'm climbing around doing some welding or on my feet all day doing maintenance of some sort. Every time!

I'm pretty humbled at the moment, coming off of my back strain I'm starting all over again with squats and trying to work on my form. I think I have a tiny bit of butt-wink which might be why I get a little twinge if I'm not careful right before parallel.

I LOVE leg day. Nothing feels better then getting done with a session of heavy squats and your legs are shaking so bad and you feel like you are going to puke. To me, that is a sense of accomplishment.

I actually fainted the other day from doing Deadlifts and then jumped straight to Front Squats. I really pushed myself on my last set and when I racked the weight, I stepped back and fainted. It was awesome.

I'm pretty humbled at the moment, coming off of my back strain I'm starting all over again with squats and trying to work on my form. I think I have a tiny bit of butt-wink which might be why I get a little twinge if I'm not careful right before parallel.

Try front squats, I've had to switch from back squats to front squats due to a few bad discs. Doesn't put as much pressure on my back it seems. And yes, I agree, legs suck a$$, but I do them so I'm not "that guy!" :lol:

Try front squats, I've had to switch from back squats to front squats due to a few bad discs. Doesn't put as much pressure on my back it seems. And yes, I agree, legs suck a$$, but I do them so I'm not "that guy!" :lol:

I'm actually doing those as well. I work every muscle group twice a week. So the first leg day I do squats and the next I do front squats, which I've never done before until now. I did notice that I can go much deep and don't feel it on my back.