For any fitness fanatics on this message board

I wish my gym had tires! This will sound stupid but I also wish my gym had a "function room" where its just couches, old fridges, rolled up carpet, cinder blocks, crap like that. Things that you dread moving but that you have to move every now and then.

Going in that room and busting your ass around lifting and moving heavy odd-shaped items would be kind of a cool alternative, sometimes.

Again, like I said, its crazy...or I guess I could just move stuff around at my house.

Sounds like a mollion dollar idea, or you could just go to the dump and move sh#t around.

Its one of those ideas that would either be brilliant or would fail so fast!!!

• 2 months later...

So I figured I'd give this thread a bump.

This morning I hit my goal of 220 lbs I set almost 2 years ago. So that's 45 lbs of fat gone for me. It feels great when people haven't seen you in awhile and all they can say is "damn you're looking good". It took loner than I wanted but it's been worth it. With life getting in the way as much as it could it was more like just over a year of full on commitment to dropping weight. While I'm pleased with the results I am in no way satisfied, I could easily lose another 20 lbs. So, for the next month I'm going to focus on losing what I can and after that work on gaining strength and muscle mass.

• Fire 1

Have you been more active and doing any strength training as well? It's a minor point, but if you have, you've probably put on some muscle, which means you lost more than 45 lbs of fat. Congrats either way, though.

Yes, that's really all I do consistently other than diet. I run a little and ride my bike when it's nice out (I hate excising in place ie treadmill/stationary bike.), but I seem to always get an injury in the winter when I try to keep up on cardio. This year it was a bone bruise that lasted about 3 months, so there was no squatting or running. I initially gained weight when started this thing so I know I added some muscle. The only real measurement I took was my biceps which grew a half inch at one point, but are now back down to where they started. I guess my neck on my dress shirts is still about the same too. I think I'm to the point now where a bit of muscle is going to start getting sacrificed with any additional fat loss.

Have you been more active and doing any strength training as well? It's a minor point, but if you have, you've probably put on some muscle, which means you lost more than 45 lbs of fat. Congrats either way, though.

Yes, that's really all I do consistently other than diet. I run a little and ride my bike when it's nice out (I hate excising in place ie treadmill/stationary bike.), but I seem to always get an injury in the winter when I try to keep up on cardio. This year it was a bone bruise that lasted about 3 months, so there was no squatting or running. I initially gained weight when started this thing so I know I added some muscle. The only real measurement I took was my biceps which grew a half inch at one point, but are now back down to where they started. I guess my neck on my dress shirts is still about the same too. I think I'm to the point now where a bit of muscle is going to start getting sacrificed with any additional fat loss.

Not necessarily...You can still maintain your muscle while you continue to diet. You might have to adjust your diet some like adding a little more protein and healthy fats but shouldn't lose very much muscle, if any at all while you do cardio.

I've been doing Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size from bodybuilding.com. The first few weeks are brutal to get used to, never been that sore in my life. I'm definitely getting stronger and noticed some results, but I couldn't keep up with the diet because it was insane for me to try and take in all those calories. Great program, really like the micro phases, I'll be doing his shortcut to shred next after a short break.

Not necessarily...You can still maintain your muscle while you continue to diet. You might have to adjust your diet some like adding a little more protein and healthy fats but shouldn't lose very much muscle, if any at all while you do cardio.

Yeah I know that you theoretically should be able too, but I've always had trouble eating enough protein as it is. unless I eat eggs and a shake every morning (which I get sick of) I'm usually of by about 40 to 50 grams of the 1:1 ratio for body weight.

I've been doing Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size from bodybuilding.com. The first few weeks are brutal to get used to, never been that sore in my life. I'm definitely getting stronger and noticed some results, but I couldn't keep up with the diet because it was insane for me to try and take in all those calories. Great program, really like the micro phases, I'll be doing his shortcut to shred next after a short break.

Jim Stoppani is a smart dude when it comes to fitness and diet but some of his plans are a little extreme if you ask me.

I read a recent article where they had an interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger and he came out and said that people try and do to much when it comes to fitness. He said it is pretty simple, just do basic weight lifting, some cardio and have a good diet with healthy foods and you will accomplish what you want. He said that he never had a set workout plan and would just go into the gym and work on what he thought he needed. Said he never had a set number of reps either while lifting, might do 3 reps or 80, just depended on what he felt like doing.

Jim Stoppani is a smart dude when it comes to fitness and diet but some of his plans are a little extreme if you ask me.

I read a recent article where they had an interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger and he came out and said that people try and do to much when it comes to fitness. He said it is pretty simple, just do basic weight lifting, some cardio and have a good diet with healthy foods and you will accomplish what you want. He said that he never had a set workout plan and would just go into the gym and work on what he thought he needed. Said he never had a set number of reps either while lifting, might do 3 reps or 80, just depended on what he felt like doing.

The first few weeks felt "extreme" as hell! :lol: Like I said, it's made me stronger, did the supps to a T along with some of the diet. I was 194lbs when I started 9 weeks ago, I'm up to 203 lbs and I'm not doing his diet program. It wanted me to eat 4,000 calories a day, take in OVER 300 grams of protein, and the fat was below 100 grams a day, which I don't eat much fat anyways. My problem is sugars, I drink too much pop, but it's mainly on the weekends. I drink much more water during the week when I'm working out cause I need that water. I did his diet for a few days and I thought I was going to die. All I did was eat................no thanks.

Here is a really interesting article on obesity in America. I am a statistics guy and find this stuff really interesting.

LINK

I'm not surprised but at the same time sort of puzzled at the increase in calorie intake per person. I know there is a large part of our population that doesn't give a crap what they put in their mouths. But, I also thought more people are trying to eat healthy so I thought it would average out.

I guess the number that don't give a crap out number the number that are trying....OR....a large number that are trying are doing a horrible job of it and aren't educated enough on what they are eating.

Here is a really interesting article on obesity in America. I am a statistics guy and find this stuff really interesting.

LINK

I'm not surprised but at the same time sort of puzzled at the increase in calorie intake per person. I know there is a large part of our population that doesn't give a crap what they put in their mouths. But, I also thought more people are trying to eat healthy so I thought it would average out.

I guess the number that don't give a crap out number the number that are trying....OR....a large number that are trying are doing a horrible job of it and aren't educated enough on what they are eating.

I see a lot of people like this. They hit the gym for 30 minutes one day and they think that means they can have 10 extra beers that night or an extra piece of chicken AND a biscuit AND some more potatoes.

LINK

I see a lot of people like this. They hit the gym for 30 minutes one day and they think that means they can have 10 extra beers that night or an extra piece of chicken AND a biscuit AND some more potatoes.

Haha, yeah. Or the "I'll have two Big Macs, extra large fries, large hot fudge sundae....and a diet coke." People really can rationalize anything.

hamster-wheel.jpg