Bo on the Sidelines

I found this perspective refreshing (and it has been mentioned here too) especially since the writer is from Fort Collins, COLORADO. What do you think of Rittenberg's response?

Clayton from Fort Collins, Colo., writes: Adam -- Thanks for your article regarding coaches sideline demeanor. It would be fun to see you and Brian have a "blog blow-up" once in a while! All jokes aside, I get tired of hearing people rant about Bo Pelini's sideline behavior. As a former college football player, I feel strongly that a passionate coach is not uncommon and actually appreciated by the players. Nebraska fans too soon forget how reserved and soft Bill Calhahan was, almost as though he didn't care enough. Bo had his issue at A&M in 2010, had a very professional apology, and has sense cleaned up his act. Can we put it to bed or are we going to keep talking about this? "cue TV panning to BO getting all red faced and mad on the sideline, chomping his gum"

Adam Rittenberg: Clayton, thanks for your perspective. It's always interesting to ask how a coach's sideline behavior affects his team. Sometimes it certainly seems to fire up players in the right way. Other times, it seems like a coach who seems out of control leads to a team playing a bit recklessly. While I see your point about Pelini's issue at A&M being in the past, I don't think he'll be able to avoid the cameras on the sideline. No coach really escapes them these days, and TV folks are looking for reactions. I think Bo seemed calmer for the most part this season, although he was none too pleased, for obvious reasons, in the Capital One Bowl loss. While I don't believe a coach has to stomp around and scream at officials to show he cares more, I think players want to see some response from the man leading them

(espnu B1G blog: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

I do like Bo's passion. I too can remember when we didnt have any of it on the sidelines and I for one think that every one of us wanted to jump through the tv during the aTm game. I distinctly remember yelling at the tv for Bo to knock a ref out after the game. haha. He has simmered down, but again I appreciate the passion.

I'll be honest. Everybody whined about Bo's sideline antics for so long that he felt the pressure to calm down. Now, I don't like his sideline demeanor near as much as when he was always on fire, and yet people still whine about it -- probably most of whom have never even played on a sports team.

Bo got to this point in his career by working his butt off and being the person that he has always been, and then our fans went and changed him into what he is now.

And just to clear any confusion, the one thing that I have not necessarily loved about Bo is his habit of screaming at the refs. Sometimes I wish that he would approach them with a little more subjectivity, but that's a little nit picky. Also, while the Texas A&M incident with Taylor may have been a little across the line, I still don't think it was that bad. The atmosphere of the night and the way that the cameras followed Bo exaggerated the entire thing. Moral of the story is, suck it up because this is football, and it is a man's game. End rant

Rittenberg responded just as most reporters do - from the fence.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with Pelini's attitude. Does it affect the team positively and negatively? Sometimes I think it does. But I think all Pelini needs to do is encourage more player ownership and responsibility. They can't rely on him and his emotions to spur them all the time. They need more player leaders to do that.

As long as the yelling and screaming doesn't show a sign of weakness during a rough part of a game (which I believe it does), and the players don't respond in a negative way by seeing their leader completely melt down (which I have been led to they do respond negatively), then I'm completely fine with it.

I found this perspective refreshing (and it has been mentioned here too) especially since the writer is from Fort Collins, COLORADO. What do you think of Rittenberg's response?

Clayton from Fort Collins, Colo., writes: Adam -- Thanks for your article regarding coaches sideline demeanor. It would be fun to see you and Brian have a "blog blow-up" once in a while! All jokes aside, I get tired of hearing people rant about Bo Pelini's sideline behavior. As a former college football player, I feel strongly that a passionate coach is not uncommon and actually appreciated by the players. Nebraska fans too soon forget how reserved and soft Bill Calhahan was, almost as though he didn't care enough. Bo had his issue at A&M in 2010, had a very professional apology, and has sense cleaned up his act. Can we put it to bed or are we going to keep talking about this? "cue TV panning to BO getting all red faced and mad on the sideline, chomping his gum"

Adam Rittenberg: Clayton, thanks for your perspective. It's always interesting to ask how a coach's sideline behavior affects his team. Sometimes it certainly seems to fire up players in the right way. Other times, it seems like a coach who seems out of control leads to a team playing a bit recklessly. While I see your point about Pelini's issue at A&M being in the past, I don't think he'll be able to avoid the cameras on the sideline. No coach really escapes them these days, and TV folks are looking for reactions. I think Bo seemed calmer for the most part this season, although he was none too pleased, for obvious reasons, in the Capital One Bowl loss. While I don't believe a coach has to stomp around and scream at officials to show he cares more, I think players want to see some response from the man leading them

(espnu B1G blog: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

Interesting that he said the bolded- it almost seems like he is saying we were getting screwed by the refs. There were some bad calls/ no calls but at some point you just got to let it go and try to win the next down.

My problem with the whole this is they usually pick the most opportune time to show Bo on the sideline, after we've done something dumb or had a poor call go against us. They're not showing him the other 99% of the time. I think Bo gets an unfair rap for his tirades because that's all that seems to make the broadcast. He had every right to blow up on the sidelines when our offense couldn't stop shooting ourselves in the foot the second half of the bowl game.

I wanted the old Bo back when he showed the passion, that some of the fans thought was him going out of control. Now that I have watched him this last season, I like that he has tried to calm it down a notch or two. I would like to see him around for many more years, and I started wondering what that kind of stress was he putting on himself. Couldn't have been good on him physically. He has all the earmarks of being the next great Husker coach. Time will tell, but I still think he is the guy.

GBR!!!

you found an article (or really a blog) in support of Bo's sideline antics? That must have taken you half the night. "A" perspective from the outside = proper subtitle. It's certainly not the predominant opinion on the matter.

i'm w/ a few of you on here - if his "passion" inspires the players, motivates them, etc...then I'm all for it. But is that when his "passion" shows? Is that the "passion" people have an issue with? Or is it the "passion" he shows when adversity kicks him in the teeth? I'm going to go w/ the latter. You can say he's showing the players he's got their back - but that can be simply done w/ a quick "wasn't your fault kid" comment on the sidelines.

Unfortunately Bo's "passion" we discuss is rarely on display when we're winning, or leading a comeback drive, or just had a great defensive stand. No, this "passion" everyone supports is shown time and again after a bad call. This "passion" is rarely directed at players but instead the refs. Is he trying to motivate the refs too? This "passion" is also reserved for the media. In fact, this "passion" isn't passion at all - it's and emotional roller coaster that falls somewhere between anger and rage. Don't confuse that "passion" for the passion he shows towards his players. They are not one in the same. No one has a problem w/ passion - but some of us have a problem w/ Bo's sideline antics.

Calling it passion is excusing his issues, much in the same way calling it love is the way a wife excuses her husband's occasional beatings.

• Fire 3

you found an article (or really a blog) in support of Bo's sideline antics? That must have taken you half the night. "A" perspective from the outside = proper subtitle. It's certainly not the predominant opinion on the matter.

i'm w/ a few of you on here - if his "passion" inspires the players, motivates them, etc...then I'm all for it. But is that when his "passion" shows? Is that the "passion" people have an issue with? Or is it the "passion" he shows when adversity kicks him in the teeth? I'm going to go w/ the latter. You can say he's showing the players he's got their back - but that can be simply done w/ a quick "wasn't your fault kid" comment on the sidelines.

Unfortunately Bo's "passion" we discuss is rarely on display when we're winning, or leading a comeback drive, or just had a great defensive stand. No, this "passion" everyone supports is shown time and again after a bad call. This "passion" is rarely directed at players but instead the refs. Is he trying to motivate the refs too? This "passion" is also reserved for the media. In fact, this "passion" isn't passion at all - it's and emotional roller coaster that falls somewhere between anger and rage. Don't confuse that "passion" for the passion he shows towards his players. They are not one in the same. No one has a problem w/ passion - but some of us have a problem w/ Bo's sideline antics.

Calling it passion is excusing his issues, much in the same way calling it love is the way a wife excuses her husband's occasional beatings.

Bo getting pissed off at refs is in the same ballpark as an abused wife justifying spouse abuse. Way to go full retard, man.

• Fire 3

Bo has gotten a lot better about it, but I think in general it was never a question of passionate or not. He lost control vs the refs, and it has cost us. You can have your team's back and stick up for them by going after the refs a little bit, but it was just overboard. I mean, we are talking mostly about a few incidents in the past though.

Still, I think there's two very different demeanors that shine through for Bo. The one where things are going great or about to go great (before games). And the one where things are not going well, we've lost in poor fashion, etc. The anger in those outbursts , I'm not sure is the best example for his team either.

But really, I don't think this is a huge issue, it's something Bo is growing with and getting much better at. I just hope we continue to do well overall.

Also, I LOVE Bo's little dismissive girly hand wave that he does when he's really pissed at the refs. It's the best thing ever :lol: