How good can we be with TM under center next year?

G0B1GRED

Everyone really misses the point. If we really looked objectively at his skill set, what would it include?

He is really fast, in a straight line.

Has become a better game manager.

Has become smarter with the ball.

Do these scream game changer? Do they scream dul threat? No. Sad, but true.

Martinez, IMO, lacks the following:

Ability to scramble.

Progressing through reads.

Hitting a receiver consistently in the same spot with the ability to get YAC.

Lack of mechanics to include poket presence, foot work and growing motion.

Appears to misread own blocks.

Do these scream game changer or dual threat? No.

The issue is our offense Beck wants is predicated on a QB who can execute designed QB runs with authority ie downhill running. A dual threat who when teams stack the box, can go all Tom Brady and at least hit receivers in stride, in front and on time. I would like to see a comparison of YAC under Martinez and previous NU QB's. I have feeling you would all be shocked. It must be hard to have a ball thrown to you 10 different ways in as many throws on the same route. Defenses have figured us out. Plain and simple.

If Bo insists on Martinez, and I think he will, Beck needs to generate a game plan around his strengths. The QB of this O is not supposed to be a game manager, we had that in Lee. Beck needs to allow Martinez to work fom the pistol and shotgun to allow him more time to make reads. Maybe spread our Oline out to spread the d line out to give him wider lanes. Roll him out to allow him to throw on the run or tuck it and go. Hire a dedicated QB coach who can teach mechanics. Work more on making proper reads. If not, we are a 3-4 loss team every year. Not because of Martinez, but because our O is predicated on a dual threat QB.

We probably could have won more me this year with Rex under center and AA in the backfield.

Carnes could have been just as good of a game manager as Martinez.

Need to blame folks, look at the coaches.

• Fire 1

I am not a hater, but definately not a worshiper, but Taylor looked pretty good throwing the ball in the last couple of games, including the bowl game against the best defense he saw all year.

Yes his mechanics suck. Bring something new to the board. Yes he gets happy feet in the pocket(although it was light years better compared to last). But again bring something new to the table. Yes, he is a mere straight line runner, again we have heard this. I am still waiting for something new about the kid, or some of these "facts".

I still cringe watching Taylot play, but there is SO much truth to the fact that Carnes is FAR behind Taylor in regards to the offense, defensive recognition. Yes throwing mechanics and the option mechanics are better than Taylor. But that does not mean crap when you don't know what people one the field with you are doing and what the defense is giving you.

By next season Carnes will have a better grasp of the offense than Taylor does. If he doesn't transfer. He already blows Taylor's mechanics out of the water. Brion's footwork and pocket presence are excellent. If the coaches would give him some time to gain experience there's no reason he shouldn't overtake the spot.

What are you basing this off of? The spring game? You know, Curenski Gilleyen (sp?) had a pretty good spring game 3 or 4 years ago when Ganz was the QB. Look at what his career amounted to. Your "observations" are not based upon fact... They are way off base.

Like Hercules said, take Connor Shaw and put him on our team, and I don't see the team being any better, if it would even be as good. Now put a big receiver with good hands on our team like Jeffery, and that adds a whole nother dimension to the team. I agree with you that Taylor's pocket presence is not very good, and he struggles at times at going through his reads and switching his vision to a receiver other than the first option. But those things come with time, and whether you choose to recognize it or not, he has improved in both of those facets over the course of the year.

I am not a hater, but definately not a worshiper, but Taylor looked pretty good throwing the ball in the last couple of games, including the bowl game against the best defense he saw all year.

Yes his mechanics suck. Bring something new to the board. Yes he gets happy feet in the pocket(although it was light years better compared to last). But again bring something new to the table. Yes, he is a mere straight line runner, again we have heard this. I am still waiting for something new about the kid, or some of these "facts".

I still cringe watching Taylot play, but there is SO much truth to the fact that Carnes is FAR behind Taylor in regards to the offense, defensive recognition. Yes throwing mechanics and the option mechanics are better than Taylor. But that does not mean crap when you don't know what people one the field with you are doing and what the defense is giving you.

By next season Carnes will have a better grasp of the offense than Taylor does. If he doesn't transfer. He already blows Taylor's mechanics out of the water. Brion's footwork and pocket presence are excellent. If the coaches would give him some time to gain experience there's no reason he shouldn't overtake the spot.

You really don't know how big of a gap it really is do ya chap??? A spring against NUs own vanilla defense is gonna prep Brion how??? The gap between the two is very big. I have accepted the fact that Taylor last year gave NU the best chance to win. As it has been pointed out, it is up to Beck to put him in positions to succeed, not for a quarter or a half, but the WHOLE game.

Agree with whomever brought up a roll out game. Run/pass options for Taylor would play into his strengths much more than trying to sit in the pocket. The only time we really saw that package was in the second half against Wisky and it was fairly successful moving the ball down the field. When Taylor ran a zone read with Rex with the option of a swing pass to Turner.

You really don't know how big of a gap it really is do ya chap??? A spring against NUs own vanilla defense is gonna prep Brion how??? The gap between the two is very big. I have accepted the fact that Taylor last year gave NU the best chance to win. As it has been pointed out, it is up to Beck to put him in positions to succeed, not for a quarter or a half, but the WHOLE game.

Agree with whomever brought up a roll out game. Run/pass options for Taylor would play into his strengths much more than trying to sit in the pocket. The only time we really saw that package was in the second half against Wisky and it was fairly successful moving the ball down the field. When Taylor ran a zone read with Rex with the option of a swing pass to Turner.

Maybe you don't get how big of gap it is chap? Look up some recent quotes of Brion's. He himself says he is ready, no matter who tells you different. YOU know better than the young man does? He says he is ready? You say he isn't though Huh?

Maybe you don't get how big of gap it is chap? Look up some recent quotes of Brion's. He himself says he is ready, no matter who tells you different. YOU know better than the young man does? He says he is ready? You say he isn't though Huh?

You're right. That alone is the perfect basis of formulating opinions about who is the best QB on the roster. For recognizing it, I give into your know-everything powers.

2nd string is always the best, it never fails. Hardly ever sees the field, even to catch the ball. But he is ready, the coaches have it out for him and love Taylor.

And you call me a moron, wow.

I agree that Taylor is not the best QB in college football, but I think he is doing exactly what he is asked to do. Protect himself, distribute the ball, play it safe. I think that is what the coaches want and direct. A player will normally do what he is told. This kid has played in 26 games and Carnes maybe 3 as a reciever. Playing against the 3/4 string in the spring game is not division 1 football live.

All have undying faith in Bo, Bo says he is not ready, I tend to agree with that. He may be a raving lunatic at times, but he knows football far better than anyone on here or in any prison I would guess.

Carnes is 2nd string and remained there the whole season with a few sniffs of the field. There is a reason.

2nd string is always the best, it never fails. Hardly ever sees the field, even to catch the ball. But he is ready, the coaches have it out for him and love Taylor.

And you call me a moron, wow.

I agree that Taylor is not the best QB in college football, but I think he is doing exactly what he is asked to do. Protect himself, distribute the ball, play it safe. I think that is what the coaches want and direct. A player will normally do what he is told. This kid has played in 26 games and Carnes maybe 3 as a reciever. Playing against the 3/4 string in the spring game is not division 1 football live.

All have undying faith in Bo, Bo says he is not ready, I tend to agree with that. He may be a raving lunatic at times, but he knows football far better than anyone on here or in any prison I would guess.

Carnes is 2nd string and remained there the whole season with a few sniffs of the field. There is a reason.

When did Carnes ever come in at WR?....

Perhaps a better question would be: How good can we be without him? If he gets hurt, how good will we be?

Exactly. I'm not sure about Carnes because he hasn't had much experience. However, I'd love to think that we would be just fine with Carnes at QB, especially since we like to lean on Rex to run the ball 30 times a game at times.

Until our defense figures how to stop a noise bleed, it wont matter who is taking snaps.

Ive been saying since '09 that our offense only had to score 17-20 points a game because our defense was so damn good. Now, I think our offense will have to double that just to have a chance at winning games.

As much as I want to enter this thread.... I just can't bring myself to do so..... hold back...hold back....... self-restraint.....

We should base our info on spring games......hold back....hold back...damn it..

and player quotes about themselves.......dang it....get some discipline.....

oh no....hit "post" before you fly off handle on the "nonsense" being spewed about.....

As much as I want to enter this thread.... I just can't bring myself to do so..... hold back...hold back....... self-restraint.....

We should base our info on spring games......hold back....hold back...damn it..

and player quotes about themselves.......dang it....get some discipline.....

oh no....hit "post" before you fly off handle on the "nonsense" being spewed about.....

You are referring to True to the Red right?