Pelini on a Mission

Pelini said his Huskers haven't handled success very well. And he brought up what he thinks is a valid reason: the atmosphere around the program, including social media. Pelini said the fans and media ride the roller coaster after big wins or losses. His players tend to pick up on it.

---

"Our fan support is phenomenal, "Pelini said. "But they get really high when it's high and really low when it's low. They tend to jump the gun.

The following quote might seem cliche and simplistic, but true nonetheless:

You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one. - John Wooden

Sorry but there are teams out there with less talent and somehow manage to get ready for big games. Next thing you will tell me is that Les Miles didn't have his team ready to play in the championship game. I can handle getting out played but not when it's our own fault.

Care to give us any examples?

Boise St., TCU, Utah(Pre-Pac12)

So could it be countered that Michigan(vs App State), Okie State(vs ISU), Va Tech(vsJames Madison), USC(vs Oregon St. multiple times under Pete Caroll) were let down by their HC's for not having teams ready to play. All pretty well reknown coaches in their own right.

Nevada 34, Boise St. 31 (2010)

TCU 36, Boise St. 35 (2011)

SMU 40, TCU 33 (2011)

Baylor 50, TCU 48 (2011)

TCU 47, Utah 7 (2010)

Notre Dame 28, Utah 3 (2010)

Boise St. 26, Utah 3 (2010)

Looks like each of those teams has managed to lose a "big game" and a game they should have won just in the last two years. And, as was stated, it's a lot easier to win most of your games when you totally out-class most of your opponents.

"I love it here," Pelini said. "I've said this before: This is not a steppingstone job. This is a destination. I enjoy what I'm doing here, I love who I'm working with, I love who I'm working for. I'm not looking for another job. I'm committed to winning a championship here. I'm passionate about winning a championship here."

This makes me so happy to hear. I know there are a lot of people who aren't huge fans of Bo, but I think he's done a great job at starting to right the ship. I'm excited to see where he takes our program over the next few years. He'll get our program back to the level of prestige we used to enjoy (SOON). Patience, everyone!! GBR!!!

• Fire 1

"I love it here," Pelini said. "I've said this before: This is not a steppingstone job. This is a destination. I enjoy what I'm doing here, I love who I'm working with, I love who I'm working for. I'm not looking for another job. I'm committed to winning a championship here. I'm passionate about winning a championship here."

This makes me so happy to hear. I know there are a lot of people who aren't huge fans of Bo, but I think he's done a great job at starting to right the ship. I'm excited to see where he takes our program over the next few years. He'll get our program back to the level of prestige we used to enjoy (SOON). Patience, everyone!! GBR!!!

That's my take too. Bo took over a sinking Titanic and is righting the talent, scheme & depth problems. It's just not a five minute project. I can't wait to see our road-graders perform the next couple of years. I bet NEBRASKA is on the way back.

He can talk the talk but can he walk the walk? so far no he can't.

i disagree, bo is still early in his head coaching career and has done a pretty decent job in turning the program around from where it was when he got the job. has he won a conference championship? no but he has been damn close 2 times, ( he should be 1-1 in those games but thats for another time), bo has gotten the program back into the national scene and his recruiting has gotten better each year imo. in another couple years i have a feeling that we will be singing his praises cuz nebraska will be BIG champions and in a BCS game again

how about getting his team ready for big games and not constantly shoot themselves in the foot most of the time? Yes things are better. I'm not dissing Bo just he needs to actually do these things instead of constantly talk about them.

As it has beaten down before, and people still can't grasp, but a coach can prepare and tell his team that any given Saturday they can get beat, but it falls on the players to take the action.

As a player in college there were a couple of games where our staff told us to not look past a team and I for one would not buy into that. And it cost us. An example this year was when Yoshi admitted to not watching film on N'Western, thinking there wasw no way NU would lose to them. He said Bo kept telling the team to take them seriously and they(Nebraska) were not as good as they(the players) thought they were, and he still ignored it. That is something that you can't just fix in some players. Unfortunately it takes a wakeup call like that for the light to click on with some guys.

It also shows what NU was getting into in the B1G. This hasn't been a bugaboo for just NU, it has been going on for years.

Sorry but there are teams out there with less talent and somehow manage to get ready for big games. Next thing you will tell me is that Les Miles didn't have his team ready to play in the championship game. I can handle getting out played but not when it's our own fault.

1. Do you honestly think he's not trying to do it? Call me crazy, but I don't think there's a magic word that makes us play smart.

2. He didn't, and his players even said it. They changed the entire offensive gameplan the day before the game, and didn't use what they had practiced.

Loved the artcile, Tom asked some very good questions, and Bo gave some solid answers and he does seem to be on a mission. Hopefully we can walk the walk this year, because I love his attitude and desire, it's time to start seeing the results on the field.

I'm glad Bo wrapped it up at the end like he did, I think all of this was needed to gather the troops [fans, players, coaches] and start moving together now.

Glad to hear what Bo had to say. It is too bad it has taken this long to seem human instead of (add your name here) like he has at times. I think it has for me at least made the guy more real and understood. His actions towards media, during interviews etc.. may have painted the wrong picture for me so I do hope this is a sign of maybe things to come. I hope all he said translates to less melt downs by the team on the field and we all can relax towards our beloved Huskers........Nah I will always get frustrated when we lose lol Nice article and I truely do hope we get over that hump and Bo is with us for along time fiery or not our Huskers deserve it!!

i disagree, bo is still early in his head coaching career and has done a pretty decent job in turning the program around from where it was when he got the job. has he won a conference championship? no but he has been damn close 2 times, ( he should be 1-1 in those games but thats for another time), bo has gotten the program back into the national scene and his recruiting has gotten better each year imo. in another couple years i have a feeling that we will be singing his praises cuz nebraska will be BIG champions and in a BCS game again

how about getting his team ready for big games and not constantly shoot themselves in the foot most of the time? Yes things are better. I'm not dissing Bo just he needs to actually do these things instead of constantly talk about them.

As it has beaten down before, and people still can't grasp, but a coach can prepare and tell his team that any given Saturday they can get beat, but it falls on the players to take the action.

As a player in college there were a couple of games where our staff told us to not look past a team and I for one would not buy into that. And it cost us. An example this year was when Yoshi admitted to not watching film on N'Western, thinking there wasw no way NU would lose to them. He said Bo kept telling the team to take them seriously and they(Nebraska) were not as good as they(the players) thought they were, and he still ignored it. That is something that you can't just fix in some players. Unfortunately it takes a wakeup call like that for the light to click on with some guys.

It also shows what NU was getting into in the B1G. This hasn't been a bugaboo for just NU, it has been going on for years.

Bo does these things but do the PLAYERS DO THESE THINGS? Obviously not all the time. We've talked about this to death-Bo can motivate and get his kids ready until he's blue in the face but if they don't do what he tells them to do what then?

Yeah I just saw a bunch of professionals, coached by the best coach in football, shoot themselves in the foot over and over again. It's part of the game. It doesn't necessarily come down to poor coaching.

As much as Jason Peter annoys me he did have something intelligent to say on this subject. He was talking about how TO was able to motivate his teams since he always appeared so reserved. JP said something to the effect that if the players aren't pumped for the game that day on their own then there really isn't anything the coach can do.

The only thing I would tweak is that while its not the coach who needs to motivate his players he does need to get them focused. I think an unfocused team is what we have been seeing.

If your going by the post you read on this board, I can see where you would get that idea. I don't think there is that many at all, just the 2 or 3 on this board that post so much, it seems like a lot. Talking to friends back in Lincoln, they don't here much of Bo's not the right guy. If a poll was taken on is he or is he not the right guy for our coach, I think the percentages would be in the 80- 90% range, for him. This team is very close to the next step, and Bo will get us there, but even then, there will still be the same bunch of Bo must go crowd.

GBR!!!

Care to give us any examples?

Boise St., TCU, Utah(Pre-Pac12)

So could it be countered that Michigan(vs App State), Okie State(vs ISU), Va Tech(vsJames Madison), USC(vs Oregon St. multiple times under Pete Caroll) were let down by their HC's for not having teams ready to play. All pretty well reknown coaches in their own right.

Nevada 34, Boise St. 31 (2010)

TCU 36, Boise St. 35 (2011)

SMU 40, TCU 33 (2011)

Baylor 50, TCU 48 (2011)

TCU 47, Utah 7 (2010)

Notre Dame 28, Utah 3 (2010)

Boise St. 26, Utah 3 (2010)

Looks like each of those teams has managed to lose a "big game" and a game they should have won just in the last two years. And, as was stated, it's a lot easier to win most of your games when you totally out-class most of your opponents.

But they also managed to win them too. It seems every time a big game comes around for us we choke. Besides most of those schools aren't that good like SMU, Baylor, Notre Dame . How mean how good is Baylor going to be now that Griffin is gone? Besides you have those same teams beating up on each other. All those teams i listed have done it through many years and multiple coaches.