The Religious Discussion of 2012

whatisthis.png

Instead of posting a picture like this, why don't you research what the guy actually said? Claiming ignorance while also claiming superior knowledge of the one true god....arrogance of some people.

Humble thyself.

The "What is this I don't even" isn't a "Wow, what is this information you have presented that I have never heard of?" sort of thing. More of a "What is this...it can't possibly be a legitimate counterpoint."

There is so much I find wrong and just plain weird about his post that I honestly didn't even know where to begin or how to proceed, so I wanted to post a funny image instead. Who wouldn't?! Duh!

steve-brule-isnt-ready.jpg

OK, research time.

At times the gibbet was only one vertical stake, called in Latin crux simplex.[24] This was the simplest available construction for torturing and killing the condemned. Frequently, however, there was a cross-piece attached either at the top to give the shape of a T (crux commissa) or just below the top, as in the form most familiar in Christian symbolism (crux immissa).[25]Jehovah's Witnesses argue that Jesus was crucified on a crux simplex, and that the crux immissa was an invention ofEmperor Constantine. Other forms were in the shape of the letters X and Y.

The New Testament writings about the crucifixion of Jesus do not speak specifically about the shape of that cross, but the early writings that do speak of its shape, from about the year 100 on, describe it as shaped like the letter T (the Greek letter tau)[26] or as composed of an upright and a transverse beam, sometimes with a small ledge in the upright.[27]

http://en.wikipedia....ion#Cross_shape

The thing about abortion is...it's not your choice. It's the woman's choice or the choice of the couple who is having the baby. If anybody can truly have an opinion on this then it's women. Personally, I find the the fact that men seem so interested in abortion just laughable.

I wish that all children could be born, just as I think killing the fetus is wrong. However, I firmly believe people have the choice to make a decision for themselves, and it's a choice that I will not judge them for.

• Fire 1

The thing about abortion is...it's not your choice. It's the woman's choice or the choice of the couple who is having the baby. If anybody can truly have an opinion on this then it's women. Personally, I find the the fact that men seem so interested in abortion just laughable.

I wish that all children could be born, just as I think killing the fetus is wrong. However, I firmly believe people have the choice to make a decision for themselves, and it's a choice that I will not judge them for.

Do you really find it laughable that men are concerned with abortion? Is that any different than I, a man, being concerned for the well-being of a man I see injured on the street? May I not have an opinion of that man, and may I not wish to aid him in some way?

Isn't the central tenet of whether or not you care based on the question of what is happening in an abortion? If it's some tissue being removed from the body, no harm/no foul. If it's a life, it's murder. If it's murder, I would certainly hope that we, as a society, are gravely concerned with abortion, whether we're male or female. If it's a life, the one person not being consulted in the matter is the life being murdered.

The gray area is, we don't know if it's a life. We cannot agree on what a life is. Those who feel it is a life should be horrified by abortion - I'd be concerned if they weren't. Those who don't feel it's a life are justifiably unconcerned with the procedure, and justifiably annoyed that others butt their noses in someone else's medical life.

I believe it's a life at a far earlier stage than I think most feel. Not Oklahoma-legislature early, but pretty darned early on in the process.

Unfortunately, just because I believe that doesn't clear anything up. There are plenty of folks who disagree, and until we arrive at a consensus, this will be debated.

• Fire 1

Do you really find it laughable that men are concerned with abortion? Is that any different than I, a man, being concerned for the well-being of a man I see injured on the street? May I not have an opinion of that man, and may I not wish to aid him in some way?

Isn't the central tenet of whether or not you care based on the question of what is happening in an abortion? If it's some tissue being removed from the body, no harm/no foul. If it's a life, it's murder. If it's murder, I would certainly hope that we, as a society, are gravely concerned with abortion, whether we're male or female. If it's a life, the one person not being consulted in the matter is the life being murdered.

The gray area is, we don't know if it's a life. We cannot agree on what a life is. Those who feel it is a life should be horrified by abortion - I'd be concerned if they weren't. Those who don't feel it's a life are justifiably unconcerned with the procedure, and justifiably annoyed that others butt their noses in someone else's medical life.

I believe it's a life at a far earlier stage than I think most feel. Not Oklahoma-legislature early, but pretty darned early on in the process.

Unfortunately, just because I believe that doesn't clear anything up. There are plenty of folks who disagree, and until we arrive at a consensus, this will be debated.

But we won't ever arrive at a consensus. Science and biology will say time and time again that life begins at time x and religion will say time and time again that life begins at time y.

For me, abortion is the decision of the couple, only they know the circumstances in which they find themselves. Who are we to say what they are in? I would hope that people have the morality to not abort a baby way late in the process unless extreme measures come about...but if its early and if they decide that they can't do it for b and c reasons, then who am I to say they're wrong?

Personally, I don't think I would ever abort a baby, but then again, I haven't found myself in the situation.

I do find it laughable, because I firmly believe it's nobodies business except for the person/s involved. How am I supposed to judge or tell a woman what she is supposed to do, when I can never physically be in her shoes? It's ignorant on my part to say she should have the baby, when I have no idea the circumstances that led to that baby's creation.

This gets down to my personality itself, though. I'm very apathetic, mainly because I just don't give a damn. I let people do what they want to do because of my apathy. I just really don't care, and I have no control. I'd rather care about things I can control or have a vast interest in, and abortion is not one of them.

You're right about the grey area, and we'll never be able to have a consensus. That doesn't mean we can't debate it, of course. I don't think it's fair for me to tell someone what they should do in these situations.

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent post.

I agree that the problem is deciding when and where to draw the line. Many like to argue that the clean line is at birth but that really hasn't ever made sense to me as it is perfectly obvious that it would be able to survive without the mother earlier than that. For example, in the case of twins, the one delivered first would instantly become a life while the other still wouldn't be for another couple minutes? I don't know how that makes any sense.

I would also be on the side of drawing the line earlier rather than later. It would seem to me that somewhere around viability wouldn't be a bad compromise. I believe that about 24 weeks is generally considered the minimum for a decent chance of survival. Obviously there are a lot of variables not the least of which is counting that 24 weeks or whatever number you want to put on it. But, in my opinion, even though birth looks to some to be a clean line to draw, it really isn't any less arbitrary that other lines that could be drawn earlier than that.

Who are we (concerned society) to tell others what they can or can't do? We're the same society that is concerned and has laws against gunning somebody down on the street. We don't need to know what that murderers circumstances are to know that it is wrong to end a life. The only difference I can see is location. The unborn baby is in anothers womb instead of in a dark alley. I think it is giving the mother too much leeway to allow her to kill for whatever reason she deems appropriate. Her decision is a lot more critical for someone other than her. This debate isn't even fair. The only ones discussing it were simply lucky enough to have not been aborted. I wonder what all those aborted babies would have to say about it. I'm guessing there not overly concerned with the circumstances that determined their death. I bet every one of them would have rather had a fighting chance at life.