I have a question. We have several Nebraska guys who have DB experience in the NFL. Are there ANY that could be great coaches? Names that come to mind... Fabian Washington, Ralph Brown, Mike Brown, Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, DeJuan Groce, Mike Minter, Tyrone Williams

Surely one of these guys could be a great DB coach for us. All were top college guys under either Devaney or Osborne and have multiple years of NFL experience. Why don't we hire from within our system... bring in some guys who loved it here and wouldn't want to coach anywhere else. IMO, Sanders was one of those guys but had some character flaws and is why he was let go. We must be able to find someone with Nebraska ties who could be a good defensive coach for us out of this group of guys.

Any ideas?

I have a question. We have several Nebraska guys who have DB experience in the NFL. Are there ANY that could be great coaches? Names that come to mind... Fabian Washington, Ralph Brown, Mike Brown, Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, DeJuan Groce, Mike Minter, Tyrone Williams

Surely one of these guys could be a great DB coach for us. All were top college guys under either Devaney or Osborne and have multiple years of NFL experience. Why don't we hire from within our system... bring in some guys who loved it here and wouldn't want to coach anywhere else. IMO, Sanders was one of those guys but had some character flaws and is why he was let go. We must be able to find someone with Nebraska ties who could be a good defensive coach for us out of this group of guys.

Any ideas?

Bo would at least know the Bullocks' and Washington (2003) - that automatically puts them in front of most guys :)

I have a preconceived "issue" with simply hiring guys who used to play for us. The skills required to be a good player are much different than those necessary to be a good coach. Tommie Frazier is the first example that comes to mind.

None of our old DBs are seasoned coaches. I'd like to see a guy come in that can make an impact teaching our secondary solid coverage skills while at the same time having good recruiting skills and contacts. Maybe Minter meets that bill, but I don't think we need to solely focus on "our people." I think that's a dangerous thing to do.

He will bring in a 'yes sir' guy from Youngstown.... probably the DB coach at Cardinal Mooney... at least he will be familiar with our latest recruit.

ok... yes, there is a little sarcasm there..

If he wants to bring in an "inside" guy (former player), then the guys who have been mentioned above fit the mold, but CAN THEY COACH? I read and said in another thread that Tony Veland should get a look. He was an unselfish guy who moved from QB to DB. Has a ring or two... Played for Broncos... and has coached a few different levels.

As I said, I have worked with him and he is a great teacher of young men.

NOW, former QB Mike Grant actually has experience at DI (Big 12) school as a DB's coach

** With all of that said, I am not positive that we NEED to hire a "Nebraska" guy. Go get that DB coach who can recruit his butt off !!!

don't worry, Bo will find some jinior high school coach from Ohio that we can plug in for $75k or less...........

I don't think that we hae any reason to doubt Bo's hires thus far. I mean, Fisher was an interesting hire, but I don't think we can say it was a bad hire (yet at least). I still trust Bo.

Bo will hire who he thinks is the best person for the job. It always cracks me up to hear some of our fans act like they know more than Bo does. I'm not saying Bo walks on water or that he can't be wrong--I'm just saying that any hire he makes should be given two or three years to see the results before it is scoffed at as a bad hire. Is that so unreasonable?

To the point of the OP, I honestly don't know who Bo is looking at, interviewing, or considering for the open DB position. But I do know that whoever is hired will meet or exceed Bo's standards and that's good enough for me. Bo has more than earned a little benefit of the doubt.

callahan was tweeting mike minter should be looked at....

Sipple also reports that Minter is someone to watch. I didn't know this, but he recently decided to join Turner Gill's staff as the special teams coordinator out at Liberty. Sipple also reports that Minter would be interested in a position at NU.

Sipple also reports that Minter is someone to watch. I didn't know this, but he recently decided to join Turner Gill's staff as the special teams coordinator out at Liberty. Sipple also reports that Minter would be interested in a position at NU.

I was thinking Minter too. He's been coaching for some time now and was definitely a hell of a DB himself. I could see him being a very good recruiter too.

I was thinking Minter too. He's been coaching for some time now and was definitely a hell of a DB himself. I could see him being a very good recruiter too.

Wouldn't hurt recruiting-wise that he played his pro ball in close proximity to ACC/SEC territory...had a great run and rep with the Panthers.