New DB coach

Jason Peter doesn't like the new hire.

“@jasonpeter: time will tell but scratching my head how Joseph is better hire then Mike Minter?Cause he was at LSU for a yr? Why leave Tenn 4 same job?â€

(null)

Time will tell, that's exactly right. Mike Minter is your man, nothing wrong with that. Joseph is hired we will see how it plays out. Who knows, maybe Minter still gets his shot at his alma mater in some other form. As far as leaving Tennessee for the same job......who wouldn't leave Tennessee for the Big Red? It's Nebraska, it's a no brainer. Plus, look at the talent we have here on the roster and incoming. "Time will tell" is the only thing we can really guarantee.

Compare Joseph to his predecessor at Tennessee and you see that his numbers dropped. Likely that has more to do with coaching turnover and the way that happened (Kiffin being a twit, and all), but there was definitely a step back. Is that because they didn't have good athletes, because Joseph wasn't able to coach the kids up, or some other factor? I have no idea, and I'm not casting that at Joseph's feet, but it bears noting. His resume is fine, but it's not spotless. It's better than Minter's, but neither resume is great.

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. I'm cool with this hire. I have no reason not to be. We'll see how it goes.

Wouldn't Mike Minter need a resume in the first place for it to be in the same stratosphere as Joseph's?

It's not large, but his resume exists.

Mike Minter

2011: Johnson C. Smith University (assistant HC?)

2012: Liberty University (STs coach)

Terry Joseph

199-2002: Archbishop Shaw HS (assistant coach)

2002-2005: Destrehan HS (assistant coach)

2006: LSU (GA)

2007-2009: Louisiana Tech (DBs coach, Recruiting Coordinator)

2010-2011: Tennessee (DBs coach, Recruiting Coordinator)

2012: Nebraska (Dbs coach, Recruiting Coordinator)

I really don't think they are close to being in the same stratosphere.

With Joseph the criticism may be we don't know the caliber of DBs coach that he is, but at least he has experience doing it. His reputation as a recruiter and his ties with the Louisiana region are big for us. Reminds me of Tim beck & Texas. Whereas Minter has neither the coaching experience nor the recruiting experience.

I'm including Nebraska under Joseph because that would only be fair if we're counting Liberty University with Turner Gill for Minter.

3. It appears that with JP, anything that doesn't revolve around the mid-90's, then it's not good.

Feels like this is pretty much how it is with JP.

• Fire 1

At this point, with Bo having his hands all over the DB position anyway, he needed to hire a guy whom he is somewhat familiar with, and that CAN recruit. It has been pointed out that Joseph has received praise for his recruiting. In fact, didn't some agency name him one of the better recruiters in the nation? (serious question....i thought i read it)....

As much as I like Minter, and some may feel that this will influence him pushing his son to NU, I can't argue with this hire.

• Fire 2

Proof is in the pudding. I am not excited, nor disappointed. I will simply wait and see how we perform next year. Brand new (inexperienced DC), brand new D line coach (with experience) and a brand new DB coach (with experience). It will be interesting to see how the staff gels, do they share the same vision and means to accomplish that.

It should make for an interesting spring and fall for sure. I really hope that this staff can gel and get the right kids in the right place sooner than later.

As it relates to a staff over all, we have a lot of guys learning on the job. I hope that the O can continue to find an identity and stick with it while the D gets its feet wet.

“@jasonpeter: time will tell but scratching my head how Joseph is better hire then Mike Minter?Cause he was at LSU for a yr? Why leave Tenn 4 same job?â€

(null)

Surprise, surprise.

1. Is Jason ever happy at things at NU

2. When will JP figure out that a lot of NU fans really aren't impressed with his assessments....

3. It appears that with JP, anything that doesn't revolve around the mid-90's, then it's not good.

4. I will catch crap, but really don't care...said it before.... I appreciate everything he did while playing....not sure he played with integrity, and I appreciate the fact that he has fought through his addictions....but I just plain think his character is not good. I really have NO use for his analysis.

I'm of a similar mindset. I appreciate his contributions as I appreciate the contributions of all Husker players, be he's an ass. For every one good opinion, he has one equally poor, unsubstantiated opinion (this Minter v. Joseph hire is a fine case in point).

I think Peter believes he would be a better head coach than Pelini. Someone as opinionated as him, and as vocal as him, really has no right to be so critical unless he think he could do a better job. If he doesn't think he could do a better job, then he needs to sit down and temper his mouth. I have no problem with criticisms and analysis, but he goes over the top.

Joseph is a good hire on paper. Appears to be able to pull in some 4* recruits on a consistent basis at the D1 A level. He has ties to Nebraska (cousin Mickey) and to LSU. He seems to have a great relationship with Louisiana programs and Georiga/Mississippi programs. That gives us recruiters with ties to all parts of the country. He also has some decent stats as a coach with Tennessee.

(null)

Surprise, surprise.

1. Is Jason ever happy at things at NU

2. When will JP figure out that a lot of NU fans really aren't impressed with his assessments....

4. I will catch crap, but really don't care...said it before.... I appreciate everything he did while playing....not sure he played with integrity, and I appreciate the fact that he has fought through his addictions....but I just plain think his character is not good. I really have NO use for his analysis.

I agree with everything you said. He likes to think he knows better than anyone else, and I believe that's why the radio show he was on bombed. His attitude towards Bo and the way he runs is program has gotten fairly annoying the past couple of years. I don't think we will ever see dominance again like we did in the 90's, so Jason will have to live with that fact.