NEW DB coach= return to physical

Ziggy

Read this story this morning about the progress of Mohammed Seisay:

http://huskerextra.com/sports/huskers/football/article_014ca48e-7ec3-526c-8caf-6e5bf8a9d312.html

Just thought it was interesting to see we are getting back to the old physical DB's , putting pressure on WR's to get past the line of scrimmage and into their routes. I personally hated last years coaching style of pure technique and lining up 5-7 yards off the LOS and trying to out play WR/TE's. Anyone who has played defense in football knows you are at a disadvantage if you are reacting instead of attacking an offensive play. The bump was what made our pass coverage so great the first couple years BO was here, by getting offenses off sync and giving our front 7 time to pressure the QB into mistakes. Also getting close to the LOS gives us a distinct advantage of extra run support when teams run outside the tackles. Also good to see Mo is progressing into a possible contributor already in spring practice.

I'm glad to see this. Because our coverage was a LOT better when we played aggressive. But I thought the reason we went away from bump-and-run was because of the pansie B1G refs. Who throw hankies at any DB contact off the line.

I'm glad to see this. Because our coverage was a LOT better when we played aggressive. But I thought the reason we went away from bump-and-run was because of the pansie B1G refs. Who throw hankies at any DB contact off the line.

I thought part of it was because Corey Raymond taught a more "finese" style.............

Yea my understanding was that Raymond didn't think that good DB's played with their hands. Also there was talk that B1G refs might not allow our aggressive style to continue. But it looks like both of those issues have been taken care of. If you can not be physical when you need to, big WR's will eat your lunch every game.

Yea my understanding was that Raymond didn't think that good DB's played with their hands. Also there was talk that B1G refs might not allow our aggressive style to continue. But it looks like both of those issues have been taken care of. If you can not be physical when you need to, big WR's will eat your lunch every game.

Yeah. I'd like to see what Dennard would've done playing under Terry Joseph. I think his talent would have been even more apparent if they'd have unleashed Phonsie on WRs right off the LOS.

I never heard Raymond didn't think good DB's played with their hands - was there a link or reference to that somewhere in the past?

I do remember Pelini saying in the pre-season last year that he thought the B1G might call games a little differently than the Big 12, therefore, his DB's may not get away with as much contact as they did before. However, as the season went on, our DB's got better. I think this had a lot to do with the repetitions and amount of experience those guys got, but I also thought the coaches and DB's started getting more physical as the year went on, as they realize the B1G wasn't going to be calling the games very differently.

This is some the most encouraging information I have heard in awhile, plus the comments Bo made about the Arkansas job. That is what needs to happen when these things come up. The last couple of days have made me anxious for the season. I want a bad DB who makes the WR earn the route so to speak.

Yeah. I'd like to see what Dennard would've done playing under Terry Joseph. I think his talent would have been even more apparent if they'd have unleashed Phonsie on WRs right off the LOS.

Uhhhhhh, how is this not what Fonzie did? Fonzie played aggressive bump and run because that's what he does. He is feisty, he gets up in receivers' faces and just forces them out of bounds. He got so physical with Alshon Jeffrey that they started throwing punches and got kicked out of the bowl game for it!

New DBs coach is not the reason we are going to be more physical. 6'2, 200-lb Mo Seisay and a progressed Andrew Green (the one we saw in spurts at the end of last season and most certainly NOT the Andrew Green we saw at the beginning of the year) are why we might see more physicality this year.

Our young and inexperienced DBs last year -- we missed Fonzie for a good stretch while he was injured -- got abused in the bump.

New DBs coach is not the reason we are going to be more physical.

It stands to reason that it will be at least part of the reason we get more physical. Raymond stated outright that they were going to be more technical because the Big 10 referees weren't as leniant about physical play as Big 12 referees. Therefore they obviously got less coaching on physicality and there's nowhere to go but up.

New DBs coach is not the reason we are going to be more physical.

It stands to reason that it will be at least part of the reason we get more physical. Raymond stated outright that they were going to be more technical because the Big 10 referees weren't as leniant about physical play as Big 12 referees. Therefore they obviously got less coaching on physicality and there's nowhere to go but up.

Raymond did say that he didn't want DBs to use their hands and I remember many of us having an issue with that. A good example of this were the Washington and Wisky games(Could actually use the 1st half of the season). I believe Bo actually stepped in in the later half of the season and things started to change.