Dennard Arrested for Assault

i think a lot of people do not own suits or dress clothes, especially people who will be charged with crimes (courtrooms would look a lot nicer if white collar crimes got charged), but also i think a lot of people equate expensive with fancy.

And/or equate sweatpants with acceptable.

And pants down to the knees

I worked in a prison for 7 years, and I've been called to court. It's pretty comical how idiots show up in their Fubu gang-color gear (not saying Fubu brand is gang-related, but when you go to court in a red Fubu jersey and you have 'blood' tattoos, it's pretty hard not to ignore) and wonder why they're not taken seriously.

I take it you worked in a prison during the late 90s?

i think a lot of people do not own suits or dress clothes, especially people who will be charged with crimes (courtrooms would look a lot nicer if white collar crimes got charged), but also i think a lot of people equate expensive with fancy.

What??!! Lets see, a BELT and maybe a TIE. Seriously?

yeah.

I don't understand the bit about the NFL taking any action. This happened prior to the draft. The NFL allowed a team to draft him and didn't have any stipulations on his status when he was drafted right?. Personally I dont think the NFL has the right to do anything. I think they waved their rights. As far as making a poor decision or being stupid... that's alcohol. Alcohol has made many people look stupid, including myself. (well, stupider) Mix that with an emotional response and their goes all rational thought and good judgement. He seems like a standup kid. I agree that probation makes sense.

I've only been to court once, and I didn't dress up. T-shirt and jeans. I also refused to refer to the judge as "Your Honor". "Sir" sufficed.

I don't buy into the custom of treating judges like royalty.

One of my favorite lines from "A Few Good Men" is when the judge rebukes Jach Nicholson with: "The witness will address this court as Judge or Your Honor. I'm quite certain I've earned it." I love that movie.

A lot of judges can get persnickety about how they are addressed, and every single one of them will demand respect and order in the courtroom. One's attitude and demeanor can go a long way toward making things harder for you or easier for you in the courtroom (and attire can certainly influence how you are perceived as well). And judges and county attorneys tend to remember someone who is making a repeat appearance in their courtroom, especially if you look or sound less than respectful. Most judges are grounded enough in reality that they don't need to be treated like royalty, and most have a good sense of humor, but decorum in the courtroom is a must.

I think a lot of judges will look at it from the perspective that if you can't set aside your ego and attitude for a quick hearing in front of a judge, you probably aren't going to do too well outside of the courtroom either. I work with a lot of juveniles, and stubborn douichebaggery in the courtroom only makes their lives more miserable!

In your case, Dude, "sir" was probably good enough, although it probably wouldn't have done well to tell him why you refused to address him differently. Your attire probably didn't matter if it was a quick hearing in a county court that they were trying to process quickly. Most judges will be pretty understanding that a lot of people won't have fancy clothes for a quick appearance in court and that most won't be remarkably well versed in courtroom etiquette, but they would not tolerate tomfoolery, either.

• 1 month later...