CFL Roundtable: Nebraska

if we're going to use lame nicknames for ex-players, can someone clarify the correct spelling of said lame nickname?

Thank you very little

Can we just agree to stop calling him "Fonzie"

That'd be a start to his rehab

ok then, phonzee it is

I'm sure there's a reason for this obsession. But I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

If you don't like it, just ignore it. You call way more attention to something by going on about it like this.

Honestly, I don't think our problems last year were so much in the starters at CB. They weren't great, but they weren't awful. It was the nickel and dime guys that were brutal. And safety play was hit or miss. We just gave up way to many long passes. We had the lowest completion percentage allowed in the B1G, but the rest of our passing defense stats were very average.

http://www.cfbstats....y02/sort01.html

• Fire 1

ESPN has a bad habit of hiring unqualified guys to do CFB analysis. Jesse Palmer was the only one at that table who knew anything about us. Desmond Howard, you are a worthless pile.

As much as he looks like a douche he's really the only person who's analysis I can stand for more than 10 seconds. But I honestly can't disagree with anything they said other than bring up a clip of Bo from 2 years ago that had absolutely no bearing on last season whatsoever.

Honestly, I don't think our problems last year were so much in the starters at CB. They weren't great, but they weren't awful. It was the nickel and dime guys that were brutal. And safety play was hit or miss. We just gave up way to many long passes. We had the lowest completion percentage allowed in the B1G, but the rest of our passing defense stats were very average.

http://www.cfbstats....y02/sort01.html

This is the best assessment of the secondary last year. The corners were pretty solid all year in the pass and run games. The safety play was very hit and miss. Stafford was strong supporting the run, but lost a bunch when in coverage. He played the year like a kid learning on the fly the whole time. Austin, appeared to know what was going on 90% of the time, but was a step of five to slow.

The nickel and dime guys absolutely killed the secondary. Every OC last fall would be jumping up and down in their press box upon seeing Ciante line up over their slot receiver. Northwestern game planned around it with and really showed a ton of film on how to attack the secondary last fall. Wisky, set the table early by throwing to the slot, and it wasn't until late in the third quarter where you saw Zo line up over Toon in the slot. Michigan exploited the weakness a ton as well, especially in 3rd down situations.

I still think SJB would be the best fit at Nickel.

• Fire 1

This is why I don't watch ESPN. Not only do I have to sit and listen to people who know less about the program than I do, but I get to come on here and see everybody rage about it.

If you guys start ignoring ESPN, you'll be much happier football fans. I guarantee it.

Scott Van Pelt is the only reasonable, intelligent guy at ESPN. The rest of those guys are idiots...

For those who haven't seen it, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk3PavZcC2Y

Gotta applaud Palmer though for setting the record straight. "Nebraska didn't lose good guys on defense, they lost great guys on defense"

Though Palmer shot himself in the foot when he said we can get back to a 12 win season starting with Taylor Martinez.

Am I one of the few who thinks Taylor is poised for a big year? This will be his 2nd year in Beck's system. He has an excellent young wide receiving core to throw to, not to mention a possible Heisman candidate lining up behind him. All that he needs is someone to step up at center. He's taken the initiative to fix his mechanics and teammates have said he has stepped up as a leader in the huddle. I agree with Palmer. Taylor is poised to take that next step...

Mark my word. Taylor Martinez will be lights out this year. Denard Robinson is overrated and always has been. He's a ticking time bomb of interceptions and bad decisions. Martinez will outplay Robinson, all year long.

Who's overrating Denard? Sure seems like from this board and every other non-Michigan internet bastion that Denard is an absolutely terrible QB, that Braxton Miller is already 100% better (not to mention his potential) and that the entire team lucked its way into 11 wins. Denard will get hurt in the first week of B1G play and Hoke will be exposed. Everyone knows this.

Mark my word. Taylor Martinez will be lights out this year. Denard Robinson is overrated and always has been. He's a ticking time bomb of interceptions and bad decisions. Martinez will outplay Robinson, all year long.

Who's overrating Denard? Sure seems like from this board and every other non-Michigan internet bastion that Denard is an absolutely terrible QB, that Braxton Miller is already 100% better (not to mention his potential) and that the entire team lucked its way into 11 wins. Denard will get hurt in the first week of B1G play and Hoke will be exposed. Everyone knows this.

I'm not sure any Husker fan on this board has room to bad-mouth Robinson. And to say Braxton Miller is better than him is ridiculous.

I think most people on this board who say Robinson is overrated mean in comparison to Martinez. I could be wrong on that, but it's how I mean it. Their statistics are almost identical but it seems one of them gets way more praise and the other way more flack. It sounds ridiculous, but I think it's because Denard Robinson looks way cooler at doing what he does.

Denard is definately not overrated. He is a very lethal QB. The problem that a lot of people see is the fact that he is not a traditional QB with perfect throwing mechanics and decision making skills.

I think most people on this board who say Robinson is overrated mean in comparison to Martinez. I could be wrong on that, but it's how I mean it. Their statistics are almost identical but it seems one of them gets way more praise and the other way more flack. It sounds ridiculous, but I think it's because Denard Robinson looks way cooler at doing what he does.

Denard, however, is quite a bit more shifty and is more agile than Martinez. I believe they are both solid QB's with their own strengths. Martinez is a bit more accurate considering he threw less picks last year and i believe he had a lil bit better completion percentage than Denard. Neb will have their hands full containing Denard in Lincoln. It's time for the blackshirts to bring plenty o blitzes.