Where is Dennard Robinson?

Oh well - I guess we can all agree to disagree on the Stanford offense? If I'm following correctly.

I agree with you. I just call Stanford's offense Pro-style, not West coast.

Neither term would be incorrect. It is the West Coast offense, why hide from it? Shaw and Harbaugh are both WCO guys through and through. We should get over the stigma of that term as a fanbase and especially the impression that it's some kind of fluffball, pass-all-the-time game (it's not). Stanford shows this very well by being that kind of dominant OL, powerful run game offense while also being WCO.

I'm not even advocating it, but someone highlighted Stanford and Wisconsin as two programs with great systems on offense and I have to agree. Wisconsin's recent OC, Paul Chryst, by the way, now head coach of Pittsburgh, from whom we just stole an offensive lineman recruit. :)

James Vandenberg - 25 TDs 7 Ints 3022 Yards, 58.7%

Denard Robinson - 20 TDs 15 Ints 2173 Yards, 55%

Braxton Miller - 13TDs 4 Ints, 1159 Yards, 54.1%

Not returning...

Russell Wilson - 33 Tds 4 Ints 3175 Yards, 72.8%

And Vandenberg pretty much sucks. But putting Miller's stats on that list is a little off the mark unless you provide the caveat that he was just a Freshman last year.

Not returning...

And Vandenberg pretty much sucks. But putting Miller's stats on that list is a little off the mark unless you provide the caveat that he was just a Freshman last year.

I dont see all the hype about Miller.

Not returning...

Yea the Miller thing is worth mentioning but even that proves that Robinson's not the best QB out there... I'm not saying he's bad or anything I just think there are guys I'd rather have at the position. I'd rather have Miller, or Vandenberg before Robinson...might even take Colter depending on how he does this season.

Anyhow...why do you think Vandenberg sucks? Is it that he can't win big games?

He certainly sucked against you guys but other games he really turned it on...especially that Pitt game, pulling out a win after going in to the third quarter down 24-3...that's impressive.

Yea the Miller thing is worth mentioning but even that proves that Robinson's not the best QB out there... I'm not saying he's bad or anything I just think there are guys I'd rather have at the position. I'd rather have Miller, or Vandenberg before Robinson...might even take Colter depending on how he does this season.

He certainly sucked against you guys but other games he really turned it on...especially that Pitt game, pulling out a win after going in to the third quarter down 24-3...that's impressive.

I'll admit to not watching a lot of Iowa's games last year. I did watch some, and don't recall being impressed with Vandenberg at all. He looked inept against us most of the game. 16/35, no TDs and an INT against us. Of course, Bo's defense eats immobile QBs for lunch, so maybe that's not terribly fair.

I agree with maybe taking Colter. He looked poised and competent against us. I think Northwestern should have gone with him all year.

Not returning...

Vandenberg is okay, he's not a playmaker, but he's solid and can do a nice job. I wouldnt take him over Martinez, but i might over robinson. Robinson can't throw like everyone has been pointing out, and since he's constatly trying to run and make plays that means he's vulnerable for an injury, it's only a matter of time before he breaks his ankle

Kind of a tangent here but I don't understand why Wisconsin doesn't recruit more dual threat guys, clearly it can work if you have a decent QB. That's what I can't figure out though...

Russell Wilson had a great year but was it just a year he caught lightning in a bottle? Was he just really good or will a strong running game and O-Line make a somewhat accurate and nimble QB look stellar?

Bielema and Alvarez have a system that's very much "insert no-name Pro-Style QB here", rinse and repeat...it works well enough but would more guys like Robinson, Miller, Wilson or Martinez get them over the hump to a BCS win?

Not returning...

Vandenberg is okay, he's not a playmaker, but he's solid and can do a nice job. I wouldnt take him over Martinez, but i might over robinson. Robinson can't throw like everyone has been pointing out, and since he's constatly trying to run and make plays that means he's vulnerable for an injury, it's only a matter of time before he breaks his ankle

I choose secret option D None of the above and I also get Matt Barkley.

• Fire 1

Kind of a tangent here but I don't understand why Wisconsin doesn't recruit more dual threat guys, clearly it can work if you have a decent QB. That's what I can't figure out though...

Russell Wilson had a great year but was it just a year he caught lightning in a bottle? Was he just really good or will a strong running game and O-Line make a somewhat accurate and nimble QB look stellar?

Bielema and Alvarez have a system that's very much "insert no-name Pro-Style QB here", rinse and repeat...it works well enough but would more guys like Robinson, Miller, Wilson or Martinez get them over the hump to a BCS win?

I think the game is evolving more into a fast pace, dual threat type game. It is proven that defenses can stuggle when the offense is up at the line ready to snap it before they are in place. I think more and more teams will start to recruit dual threat type guys, because you can do so much with them. Wisconsin was dangerous with Russell and his legs. I think they would do much better with a dual threat guy. I guess we will see after this year becuase i don't think your starter is a threat to run, which means Ball will carry the load. You can get away with 10 win seasons with a non dual threat because you always have a good D, along with an O line, and beast running backs that cycle in year in and out.

Stanford's WCO is much different than Callahan's. A lot of us are rational about it though. It may be - it is - a good offense, but it just won't work here - we can't get a kid like Andrew Luck to come to Lincoln, nor some of the other important cogs to make it work. But we can get an athlete that others pass over and use him to score points. Not just Martinez; I don't know that Tommie Frazier was really hyped out of HS as a QB.

It's been my opinion that when Callahan gave Pelini the brush-off and called up his buddy Cosgrove, that was the death knell, before he even got started. It wasn't the Fluff-Coast Offense he brought from Hollywood. No way does Leach run up 70 on Pelini when he has Bullocks and Ruud to work with.

I agree that we need something besides 'multiple' to describe our offense - that we need an identity. I don't want to be Wisconsin or Oregon, but I'd like some kind of run-first offense that sees 2nd and 5 (or less) not because of X's and O's, but because we rep it so much, and can run ISO's, sweeps, counters, whatever, as good as ANYONE in the country. Defenses have to account for it, and it opens all kinds of passing up off play action.

Question: I read a lot of posts that state, 'We need an identify.' I know this might sound naive but why? If the other teams know that we will always play a certain way, won't that remove the element of surprise? If we have multiple ways of attacking a defense from the offensive side of the ball, wouldn't that make us more dangerous as the other team wouldn't know what we would be offering? Thanks for being patient with a person who is still learning the game :)

• Fire 1