Martinez QB Camp Update

I doubt zoogie of all people is discounting the walk on program. I think he was simply acknowledging that QB is the highest profile position on the field so naturally it is one of the most intensely recruited positions, therefore the chances a walk on is going to see significant starting time are pretty slim. Out of curiosity who was the last walk on quarterback at Nebraska to consistently start?

Ganz?

No, Ganz came in Callahan's first class as a schollie QB along with Beau Davis. Ganz was redshirted his frosh year, while we all have tried and failed to forget what happened to Davis.

I doubt zoogie of all people is discounting the walk on program. I think he was simply acknowledging that QB is the highest profile position on the field so naturally it is one of the most intensely recruited positions, therefore the chances a walk on is going to see significant starting time are pretty slim. Out of curiosity who was the last walk on quarterback at Nebraska to consistently start?

Ganz?

No, Ganz came in Callahan's first class as a schollie QB along with Beau Davis. Ganz was redshirted his frosh year, while we all have tried and failed to forget what happened to Davis.

Damn. Never mind then.

http://www.huskerloc...ecruiting-23863

Interesting bit from this website about how Taylor had to seek out a QB coach to help him with his mechanics. I never really thought about it that way, but now that I do, it's absolutely a sad situation as far as Nebraska's ability to coach and develop QB's. A player should not have to go back to California to work on his technique. Beck should not be both QB coach/ and Offensive Coordinator. This University needs a QB coach, and matter of factly, it needs one that will let the world know that NU is a place where QB's come to take the next step. Nebraska doesn't send QB's to the NFL. Based on the old style of play, it was never going to happen, but if we want to win in the college football world of today, we need someone who is full time committed to the most important position in all of football......THE QUARTERBACK! I think this is truly hurting the University more than we know.

All around great article, I absolutely agree with every point the guy makes.

Right now we have Beck as OC/QB and Ganz as an intern (maybe GA?) coach. If we bring in a full-time QB coach, who do we get rid of? Do we go back to only 1 OL coach? Combine WR/TE and get rid of Brown or Fish? There aren't any perfect answers here.

Exactly. The limits on the coaching staff is exactly why MANY NCAA qb's go to camps. Typical "fans" thinking they know more about football than the coaching staff.

seems a little strange, only TM goes to a qb camp and Carnes stays home? guess the back ups don't need development until they become starters....or some don't think they need to go....or only TM got the funding to go (these camps can't be free).......lots of unanswered questions here for me.

• Fire 1

seems a little strange, only TM goes to a qb camp and Carnes stays home? guess the back ups don't need development until they become starters....or some don't think they need to go....or only TM got the funding to go (these camps can't be free).......lots of unanswered questions here for me.

Martinez was invited.

Martinez was invited.

well then, that settles it.......unless you are invited, you will have to hope your local qb coach can develop you to the elite level....

Martinez was invited.

well then, that settles it.......unless you are invited, you will have to hope your local qb coach can develop you to the elite level....

I have heard that this dude has openings at his camp

Uncle_Rico.jpg

Also that Husker Locker article tries to make the argument that Nebraska's QB depth is hurting our recruiting. Please! We have three scholarship QBs on the roster. That's a low number any way you slice it. There is no way that any struggles in recruiting QB are due to our current depth chart.

Also, OC/QB dual coaching is probably the most common situation there is. The article tries to paint it as unusual. Well, maybe Beck isn't qualified to be a QBs coach. I don't know if he's ever done it before or if that's his area of expertise. But the position of OC/QB is hardly unusual.

Taylor having to spend time outside of official practice time to shore up his passing mechanics is absolutely a knock on Taylor, and not our coaches. But it's not his fault. He just hasn't played a whole lot of QB. He's an athlete who as far as quarterbacking goes, has been many years behind the average division 1 QB. So, he has to put in time to make up that ground. There is no real blame to go to anyone for this. Good for Taylor.

I will agree that Taylor has a perceived lock on the starting job. But he's a junior now, and this recruiting cycle is for guys who will have their freshman year while Taylor is a senior. It should be of little to no consequence.

The only good point I think that article makes is about non-starter reps at QB. And I do mean how many quality reps they get in practice.

I dont really get this part. You are saying it is his fault he has to go to QB camps? Maybe I am reading this wrong but i think it is great he is going to QB camps. there are a lot of QBs attending these camps. Another thing is if he wasnt at these camps what would he be doing sitting at home on the couch eating potato chips?? the coaches are not allowed to have any football related contact with the players. At least he is somewhere trying to get better.

I'm guessing he probably means it's a knock on Taylor's current QB ability, not a reflection of whether our coaches are doing their jobs or not. When you look at his throwing mechanics over the past couple of years, they were just a total mess, starting from his feet and balance and then moving up.

I doubt anyone is going to knock Taylor's drive to get better. He obviously wants to and is working at it. It's just that making such huge changes in a short time is extremely difficult. That's why I've always said he needs to just focus on his feet/movement and balance. Improving just those aspects and not worrying too much about his actual release will help him a ton.

And hopefully all the effort working on it will pay off!

There may be no better quarterback on Earth than Tom Brady, and he continues to solicit advice from his old high-school coach, who continues to notice changes in Brady's mechanics. As I recall, the Patriots finallly put him on the payroll.

Same coach has been sought out by high school, college and pro qbs. No matter what the qb's perceived problem, Coach always starts with the footwork. Most issues aren't arm issues, they're footwork issues.

There may be no better quarterback on Earth than Tom Brady, and he continues to solicit advice from his old high-school coach, who continues to notice changes in Brady's mechanics. As I recall, the Patriots finallly put him on the payroll.

Same coach has been sought out by high school, college and pro qbs. No matter what the qb's perceived problem, Coach always starts with the footwork. Most issues aren't arm issues, they're footwork issues.

Tom Martinez, Brady's old coach, has passed away. And a flawed throwing motion (side arm) presents some real problems as well.

my guess is a lot more of these guys attend camps than we realize. this one is getting publicized, but I think more are seeking out individual instruction than we think. for one - during the offseason our coaches can only have so much contact/time with the players. this is one way around that.

Yes, plenty of college QB's are seeking out specialized coaching...MANY players and programs partake in this. They seek them out for a whole host of reasons....I just don't understand the criticism people are giving the football program for not having a QB coach. The coaches these college QB's seek out are specialized in what they do and possibly some universities can't afford a QB coach. Many players seek out extra coaching....who gives. Sheesh. And hypothetically, if NEB had a QB coach, who's to say that it is wrong for the player to seek out specialized coaching somewhere else over the summer. As you stated above, the players only have so much contact/time with the players, hence another reason for partaking in QB coaching from an outside source.

Martinez wasn't the only guy at Calhoun's QB Camp. Keith Price (whom some here were saying was a better QB than Martinez after the Washington game) and Cody Fajardo from Nevada were there with Martinez.

I'm betting Huskies and Wolfpack fans weren't griping that their quarterbacks were at a QB Camp in the off season. I'd bet they were pretty happy about it. It's hard for me to fathom why anyone would see Martinez attending this camp as a bad thing.