SIGNED QB Johnny Stanton

Sounds like it was a good visit. He did not verbal or indicate when he might decide. Spent some quality time with Tommy Armstrong and a few other guys but coach Beck was not around has he had been on a planned vacation. They knew this coming in and weren't concerned as he had meet with Beck for a long period of time when he was here before. I think its good to remember he wanted to be back to tour campus and hang out with a few of the guys from the team and it sounds like he got to do exactly that.

Sounds like it was a good visit. He did not verbal or indicate when he might decide. Spent some quality time with Tommy Armstrong and a few other guys but coach Beck was not around has he had been on a planned vacation. They knew this coming in and weren't concerned as he had meet with Beck for a long period of time when he was here before. I think its good to remember he wanted to be back to tour campus and hang out with a few of the guys from the team and it sounds like he got to do exactly that.

Sure wish that Beck could have been around. :hmmph

Yep sounds like his visit went really well and he got to do everything he wanted. Was happy we didnt press for a commitment, and made it really relaxing for him. He really like the Academic side of things as well. Heading to Wisky tonight but we shouldnt have anything to worry about there, just checking all his options.

The Beck thing isnt a big deal, but if he ends up going to Oregon its going to be blamed on Beck being on vacation by some on here. Like Da skers said he wanted to see the campus hang out with the players, and talk to Bo, which he got to do. If he goes to Oregon it will be because its closer to home, not because Beck went on vacation, so lets just put that to bed right now.

I would have pushed for the verbal, honestly, I think that is what a lot of coaches are doing now and I think it is kind of like sales in that regard, don't let them "think about it" and "get back to you"

Now, at the same time, it doesnt mean you are trying to force them but pressure is not a bad thing.

"Johnny, I have to tell you and I have to be honest, we do want you here at Nebraska, we think you will be a special part of this program with a very bright future but we also have to think of the team and the program first. You are who we want but if you are not thinking that Nebraska is the place for you, please, let us now, that way we can continue our search and you can look for the perfect fit for yourself, what do you say Johnny?"

If he goes to Oregon it will be because its closer to home, not because Beck went on vacation, so lets just put that to bed right now.

Johnny Stanton . . . is that you? ;)

Just dont want to hear all the crying that our coaches dont try hard enough.

I don't think that I was crying. Was I? I wished the offensive coordinator had been around to spend a couple more days with a good QB recruit.

I didn't expect that to be controversial . . . or to lead to mind reading.

• Fire 1

If he goes to Oregon it will be because its closer to home, not because Beck went on vacation, so lets just put that to bed right now.

Johnny Stanton . . . is that you? ;)

Just dont want to hear all the crying that our coaches dont try hard enough.

I don't think that I was crying. Was I? I wished the offensive coordinator had been around to spend a couple more days with a good QB recruit.

I didn't expect that to be controversial . . . or to lead to mind reading.

no no no not you. You dont remember the big fuss a few years ago about the coaches not recruiting over the summer because they were always on vacation ? It was one of Bos first few years, thats what i was referring to.

1071438.jpg

By Bryan Munson

Big Red Report

Posted Jun 28, 2012

Share on twitterShare on facebook|More Sharing ServicesMore

Nebraska made a positive impression on Johnny Stanton the first time he was able to visit, but there were a lot of things that he didn’t get to see. So, Stanton was back in Lincoln again this week to really check out two specific things. How did this visit to Nebraska go and what is left for Stanton this summer?

From the way it looks Nebraska was able to receive one of the last two visits from Santa Margarita (Calif.) Catholic quarterback Johnny Stanton. Stanton was just in Lincoln weeks ago, but came back to see some of the things that he didn’t see on the first time around.

“I had a great visit to Nebraska,” Stanton said. “I really had two goals for this trip. One, I wanted to meet some of the players and two, I wanted to see the campus. I was able to do both.

“I spent a lot of time with incoming freshmen Jordan Westerkamp and Tommy Armstrong as well as Taylor Martinez. I had a great conversation with Martinez.”

Stanton says that he has been communicating with Martinez already coming into the visit yesterday mostly because Stanton knows Taylor’s brother, Drake Martinez, who is at a neighboring high school. The two talked about the acclimation from California to Nebraska.

“I had been texting with him before the visit and I really wanted to get a feel for his thoughts on Nebraska. He told me that Nebraska was a great fit for him. We also talked about the transition that I would have to do from California to Nebraska.”

With Big Red Weekend and summer camps in the books it’s probably hit and miss for the Nebraska staff to be in the offices because of vacation. Two coaches were out of the office, but Stanton was already expecting that coming in. He said that he did spend time with two coaches that he didn’t talk to a lot on his previous trip.

“Coach Fisher and Coach Beck were both gone on vacation, but I talk to them a lot over Facebook and on the phone. The two coaches that I didn’t have a lot of time with on my first visit was Coach Bo Pelini and Coach Barney Cotton. They were the two I spent the most time with.”

In Lincoln yesterday and seeing another Big Ten school tomorrow, Stanton says that he might be getting ready to see his last school for the summer. Stanton was boarding a plane when he was talking with BigRedReport.com for that last, scheduled visit then back home for practice and seven on seven.

“I am actually getting on a plane right now heading to Wisconsin. I am flying to Milwaukee and then driving to Madison. After that I am probably done. We have practices starting up and seven on seven will be going too.”

I would have pushed for the verbal, honestly, I think that is what a lot of coaches are doing now and I think it is kind of like sales in that regard, don't let them "think about it" and "get back to you"

Now, at the same time, it doesnt mean you are trying to force them but pressure is not a bad thing.

"Johnny, I have to tell you and I have to be honest, we do want you here at Nebraska, we think you will be a special part of this program with a very bright future but we also have to think of the team and the program first. You are who we want but if you are not thinking that Nebraska is the place for you, please, let us now, that way we can continue our search and you can look for the perfect fit for yourself, what do you say Johnny?"

Doesn't Pelini want true commits, not someone who is going to go back home and rethink it and take more visits? I seem to recall that attitude from a few years ago, and trying to avoid last minute de-commits.