SIGNED (2013) PG Tai Webster

• 3 months later...

FWIW, Tai's coach in New Zealand and some other people close to him are in his ear about staying and making money now instead of money later. Just rumors right now, but something to keep an eye on in the coming months.

He tweeted today that he most def is coming to nebraska, just has to get the SAT out of the way.

Sounds like case closed then. It was just some rumors over on RSS

The kid will be B1G freshman of the year. I've re-watched a few of his games, and this kid is going to have other schools questioning why they didn't find him. He will average 20 ppg. I'm becoming more and more confident about making the touney next year. It's crazy to hear me say this, because i've always been in the 3-4 years away crowd. But with Gallegos, Shields, Pettit (averaged 29 in high school) Pitchford, Biggs, and Webster, we will make a huge jump. Hell we won 6 B1G games with no bench at all. 9-9 gets into the touney. I think we have a slim chance next year, and a very good chance the year after.

The kid will be B1G freshman of the year. I've re-watched a few of his games, and this kid is going to have other schools questioning why they didn't find him. He will average 20 ppg. I'm becoming more and more confident about making the touney next year. It's crazy to hear me say this, because i've always been in the 3-4 years away crowd. But with Gallegos, Shields, Pettit (averaged 29 in high school) Pitchford, Biggs, and Webster, we will make a huge jump. Hell we won 6 B1G games with no bench at all. 9-9 gets into the touney. I think we have a slim chance next year, and a very good chance the year after.

Thats a bold statement! Obviously the early favorite is Noah Vonley but I like your kool-aid drinking. I would honestly take freshman first team.

Hope you are spot on, but my thoughts are tempered somewhat by the fact that Shields didn't even make the league freshman TEAM this year..........

His name is Petteway and he averaged 19 not 29. This is not a tourney team next year, but two more years they'll sniff it and three hopefully they're in.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the fact that he is getting experience at a good level of competition. That will help him transition to college ball.

I think I would like to see Tai start out at the off guard position here as well. I think it's easier for a freshmen if he doesn't have to worry about primary ball handling duties and getting the offense started up. As an off guard in Miles system he will still get plenty of chances to handle the ball. Regardless he could play either and down the road I am sure he will.

I kind of like the thought of Petteway and Biggs competing at Point and playing in rotation there. And Gallegos and Webster competing at the other spot and rotating there. Hawkins could figure in here too or at point.

Really like this recruiting class! Smith filled an important need. Can't wait to see Tai and the crew on the court at Nebraska!

• 2 months later...
The word to describe Nebraska basketball recruit Tai Webster's status for the coming season, Husker coach Tim Miles repeated Thursday, is “unclear.”

The 6-foot-3 freshman guard from New Zealand still hasn't gained NCAA eligibility, which is obtained through a combination of high school grade-point average and college entrance exam scores.

“That's why he's not here,” Miles said. “There are two more test scores he has completed in the past 10 days. We are waiting on those scores.

OWH Article

The word to describe Nebraska basketball recruit Tai Webster's status for the coming season, Husker coach Tim Miles repeated Thursday, is “unclear.”

The 6-foot-3 freshman guard from New Zealand still hasn't gained NCAA eligibility, which is obtained through a combination of high school grade-point average and college entrance exam scores.

“That's why he's not here,” Miles said. “There are two more test scores he has completed in the past 10 days. We are waiting on those scores.

OWH Article

This last minute crap always baffles me.

Even understanding the propensities of bureaucracies to drag and muddle things, it's not like the calendar just snuck up and surprised them.

Why is it so difficult to get things in order when you have a year or so to line things up?

I'm beginning to wonder if the NCAA is going to declare him ineligible due to his playing in the NBL. Even if he didn't get paid to play, he was still on a contract to play professional basketball, and fair or not, that might come back to haunt. I actually work in the same Auckland suburb that Tai is from, which, I know, means absolutely nothing. But a guy I work with knows the family due to his son going to the same school, and he said in a roundabout way that grades might be a problem. And then you have to factor in equivalency as well. My wife (a Kiwi) looked into going to UNL a while ago, and determined that it'd take a lot of tests to get in, and the time span would be huge. I know, a lot of int'l student athletes have went to UNL, but it's different for each country, and I can't remember if NU has ever had an athlete from NZ.

I'm beginning to wonder if the NCAA is going to declare him ineligible due to his playing in the NBL. Even if he didn't get paid to play, he was still on a contract to play professional basketball, and fair or not, that might come back to haunt. I actually work in the same Auckland suburb that Tai is from, which, I know, means absolutely nothing. But a guy I work with knows the family due to his son going to the same school, and he said in a roundabout way that grades might be a problem. And then you have to factor in equivalency as well. My wife (a Kiwi) looked into going to UNL a while ago, and determined that it'd take a lot of tests to get in, and the time span would be huge. I know, a lot of int'l student athletes have went to UNL, but it's different for each country, and I can't remember if NU has ever had an athlete from NZ.

The kid is playing a lot of ball and had to retake the tests. A lot is on his shoulders, he needs to buckle down and get his grades in order. I believe he is close and is waiting for his last test results. His priority appears to be basketball & not academics. I do not know if that is a good combinations. But I do believe he is the type player that could move our program to the next level.