Who's your backup?

knapplc

normally it's always great to be the backup at Nebraska...you're the most loved guy on the team...until they start a thread about you. Poor Carnes, been here two years and 90% of the bandwagon is already on to either 1) a guy that has been through a handful of practices or 2) a guy that hasn't even signed his letter of intent yet. Both proclaimed to have what it takes to be the next great thing...when this staff has 'yet' to recruit a QB that has lasted more than a couple years. They found our current QB catching balls as a WR on the scout team.

I've been told Carne's will never see meaningful time. So I'd say Armstrong's quick climb is more of a reflection on Carnes than of Armstrong's abilities. It's scares me that he's battling for #2 already. Who's developing these kids we recruit? Why so far behind? Hopefully this is just a carryover of Watson, and the last couple years' recruits live up to the hype.

Carnes was a Watson recruit, and Tim Beck has only been the OC and QB coach for one year. I'd say he's earned a two-to-three year grace period to develop players the way he sees fit.

yeah, that's what I was saying. we haven't had much luck w/ those guys from the Watson era. We really need one of Armstrong/New guy to pan out.

• Fire 1

If they are about equal I don't know how you don't preserve Armstrong for another year. By default I feel all QBs should come in and take a redshirt year. The ones who don't face special circumstances. I think that is such a clear-cut, easy decision.

Also, with all the positive buzz there once was about Carnes, I find it hard to believe he could not adequately fill the #2 role at this point in time. The stuff about Armstrong now, that is (sorta) where Carnes was a season or two ago. The main difference IMO being that saying such positive things about Carnes were a challenge to Taylor and as a result less welcome, whereas Armstrong has some safe distance between his and Taylor's hypothetical starting era.

normally it's always great to be the backup at Nebraska...you're the most loved guy on the team...until they start a thread about you. Poor Carnes, been here two years and 90% of the bandwagon is already on to either 1) a guy that has been through a handful of practices or 2) a guy that hasn't even signed his letter of intent yet. Both proclaimed to have what it takes to be the next great thing...when this staff has 'yet' to recruit a QB that has lasted more than a couple years. They found our current QB catching balls as a WR on the scout team.

I've been told Carne's will never see meaningful time. So I'd say Armstrong's quick climb is more of a reflection on Carnes than of Armstrong's abilities. It's scares me that he's battling for #2 already. Who's developing these kids we recruit? Why so far behind? Hopefully this is just a carryover of Watson, and the last couple years' recruits live up to the hype.

Carnes was a Watson recruit, and Tim Beck has only been the OC and QB coach for one year. I'd say he's earned a two-to-three year grace period to develop players the way he sees fit.

yeah, that's what I was saying. we haven't had much luck w/ those guys from the Watson era. We really need one of Armstrong/New guy to pan out.

That was my bad, I didn't read your last sentence. ^_^

If they are about equal I don't know how you don't preserve Armstrong for another year. By default I feel all QBs should come in and take a redshirt year. The ones who don't face special circumstances. I think that is such a clear-cut, easy decision.

Also, with all the positive buzz there once was about Carnes, I find it hard to believe he could not adequately fill the #2 role at this point in time. The stuff about Armstrong now, that is (sorta) where Carnes was a season or two ago. The main difference IMO being that saying such positive things about Carnes were a challenge to Taylor and as a result less welcome, whereas Armstrong has some safe distance between his and Taylor's hypothetical starting era.

I agree with a lot of this. Regarding the bold, Carnes would have to nearly be a washout at this point if it's true, and I don't believe it is.

Also, if you catch glimpses of Carnes on practice film he looks like he's added quite a bit of muscle in the last year. Last time I saw him, which was, admittedly just under a year ago, he was tremendously thin, like WR thin. He looks bigger now.

I would rather have a set #2 going into the season. Beck should know by now if Carnes can be a solid #2 and hopefully he can see some PT early so that Armstrong can redshirt. When is the date that redshirts must be declared? Or are guys redshirted by the first game and coaches pull the redshirt if a player is needed?

I agree with a lot of this. Regarding the bold, Carnes would have to nearly be a washout at this point if it's true, and I don't believe it is.

Also, if you catch glimpses of Carnes on practice film he looks like he's added quite a bit of muscle in the last year. Last time I saw him, which was, admittedly just under a year ago, he was tremendously thin, like WR thin. He looks bigger now.

I think people wanting Carnes to be a solid number two pushing number one is more about the fact that people don't like Taylor than about Carnes ability one way or the other. I would guess he's better than he was in high school but he wasn't really ever a threat to get much time. Bo's indicated that much several times in a very nice way by stating the gap between him and Taylor was quite large.

I will say that during winter and spring Beck said that Carnes would be lucky to be #2 by the start of the season the way the Marsh was playing. Now we have RK and Armstrong up there so I would guess that Carnes is a very good athlete that made a lot of great plays in high school but still tries to do too much on his God given talents rather than via the offensive reads. Same as he was the last year.

At this point, as far as mop-up duty, I think you've gotta go with Carnes. No point in wasting a year of TA just for a few snaps. That said, if Taylor goes down.. especially early in the season, that's a whole different deck of cards.

This

Carnes if Martinez stays healthy, RS Armstrong. If Martinez goes down, then go with Armstrong.

I think we got a winner.

and This.

Carnes because he's got experience handing the ball off against Minnesota :)

Actually I would be surprised if he wasnt ready to step in if he was needed. And assuming it was for more than a few games, you have Armstrong also taking reps in practice and preparing for games. That way if Carnes doesn't work out, you put in Armstrong. Seem like teh obvious thing to do.