No more two gap Dline- Says Coach K

Great to hear we are going to be more aggressive on the d-line. I would also argue that we are the fastest team in the B1G.......that can work for or against you unfortunately.

I would have argued we were the fastest team in the B1G last year, and it didn't do a whole lot for us.

If a more attacking defensive produces better results for us overall, I'm fine with getting burnt by the occasional screen play.

After listening to sports nightly, it sounds like the same scheme, but with more alignments instead of a base alignment all the time. And also, instead of a contain type of read and react, it's going to be attacking. I think it'll still be a 2 gap but we're gonna see our lineman attacking blockers and zones instead of holding ground and containing. Instead of letting the blockers come to us and holding ground/gap, we're gonna attack the blocker to get up field and move the zone gap. If this is how I see it, it should cause more disruption, esp in the backfield. And maybe it's a result of some more linebacking talent and a deeper more experienced secondary to clean up any messes that it may leave?

I love the sounds of this and it seems that most all are in agreement. If it gets our D linemen through the line of scrimmage more often and doesn't leave them relegated to attempting to chase the ball carrier from behind, I'm all for it. I can't count the number of times last season where our D line never got penetration or when they did it was way too late in the play developement. Good chance we will give up a few more big plays but, I'll trade that for some guys with bad intentions getting after it every down. This can't be a bad thing.

What's weird is I just heard some radio guy say this afternoon that Kaz said we weren't changing schemes at all. We were going to do the same thing, just more aggressively.

Whatever, if this is true it's a welcome change. The two-gap scheme worked well enough with Suh and Crick, but with both of them gone a less specialized attack is probably smarter.

I always thought it worked well against the spread offenses of the Big 12 because it caused the offensive linemen to spread out more and give the LB and secondary a better look at the backfield. Obviously that wouldn't work well against many schools of the Big Ten because they are more run orientated than the Big 12.

This has been the biggest glaring weakness in Bo's defensive philosophy as I have pointed out since he arrived. If what is being said here is actually true, it will not only improve our front four, but the entire defense will benefit in all categories as a result of an attacking front. An attacking front four opens opportunities for your LB'ers, CB's and Safeties. The guys that are supposed to be the "playmakers" on defense will benefit from this. I will again, only believe this coach speak BS when I see it, because so far Pelini and his staff seem to say all the right things, but never seem to really make them happen on the field. Turnovers and TFL's are game changing plays, and sadly, Nebraska has been lacking in both as of late.

Controlled aggression

One thing I noticed by looking at some of Iowa's film from last year, were that the DL were sort of lunging forward (Kaz's headbutt reference) instead of the upright engagement of the offensive line. IMO, this game me an idea of getting the rush upfield.

Controlled aggression

One thing I noticed by looking at some of Iowa's film from last year, were that the DL were sort of lunging forward (Kaz's headbutt reference) instead of the upright engagement of the offensive line. IMO, this game me an idea of getting the rush upfield.

Control the leverage.... Get underneath their pads and stand em upright. Then you can toss em around like rag dolls!! GBR!

Controlled aggression

Control the leverage.... Get underneath their pads and stand em upright. Then you can toss em around like rag dolls!! GBR!

There you go...re-establish the LOS.

Controlled aggression

I recall coach K mentioning or maybe Cam about trying to get vertical. I assume it means what you are talking about which sounds good to me.

Controlled aggression

I recall coach K mentioning or maybe Cam about trying to get vertical. I assume it means what you are talking about which sounds good to me.

I think so.

Meredith said. "For example, Coach Kaz wants us to make contact with our head, head-butt them more and get separation. Once we see one of the Iowa players do it who's similar to us, it puts in our minds, 'Hey, it's the same stuff. We've just got to learn the technique.'"