Chances Rex plays this weekend

no way he'll play...why risk it? we'll be fine without him the next few weeks and will need him when WI comes to town

Why risk it? Because if NU seriously wants Rex to have a legitimate shot the Heisman then he'll need to be a dominant force in every single big game moment.

The 50+ yard TD run against Southern Miss was a good start. But he needs consistent, big time performances against marquee teams to have a real shot at winning the Heisman.

• Fire 1

no way he'll play...why risk it? we'll be fine without him the next few weeks and will need him when WI comes to town

Why risk it? Because if NU seriously wants Rex to have a legitimate shot the Heisman then he'll need to be a dominant force in every single big game moment.

The 50+ yard TD run against Southern Miss was a good start. But he needs consistent, big time performances against marquee teams to have a real shot at winning the Heisman.

But how can he be dominant if he plays injured? I vote sit out as many non-com games as he can while he heals. I would much rather have a 100% healthy Rex than a somewhat healed Rex who is not totally healed and therefore open to re-injury (IMO) :)

The best chance for Rex to win the Heisman is if we go undefeated and win the B1G. Until we are at the top and the talk of the town, Rex is just another great running back.

People outside the B1G will first have to notice NEBRASKA before they will notice Rex, and the only way we can do that is by going 13-0.

No. Read on a medical website that stated the sprains are classified as 1-3. 3 being the worst meaning an actual tear. It stated that the MCL is used for lateral movement and stabilizes the knee when pushing off to make lateral movement.

A type 1 requires 2-4 weeks to heal

A type 2 advised 3-4 months AND

A type 3 usually requires surgery and can take up to 13 months to be 100%

I hope it is a type 1, he rehabs like a mad man and he sits until 100%. If he is ready for Idaho, allow a few reps/series to make sure he is mentally ready and then sit him until Wisky.

AA, Heard, Cross, Marrow etc proved to very serviceable. I would make sure he is 100% so that we can have him for the rest of the season vs bring him in too soon and he is lost for conference play.

On a side note, wasn't Martinez day to day all of 2010?! ;)

One thing for sure, Rex is tough as nails, came back quick from the broken foot and Bo and Co do not seem to be the type to rush kids back to the field.

• Fire 1

3rd degree is a complete tear and I assume they'd call it a tear and not a sprain if Rex had that. It also doesn't usually require surgery as it usually mends itself, unlike the ACL. I tore both this year, and they didn't repair the MCL even though they operated on the knee to reconstruct the ACL, and I was told this was normal procedure for an MCL.

I've also seen sites that say 1-2 weeks recovery time for type 1. I don't know if there's disagreement on amount of rest needed, or if it just varies a lot among athletes, and once they pass some kind of test they are cleared again.