Breaking down 260 yards

knapplc

My prediction....

The offense will look good but not quite as good as the season goes on as it did this week. They can still be pretty dang good with out racking up over 600 yards of offense.

The defense will look better than we saw on Saturday as the season goes on. They will make adjustments and improve.

So you're saying we're not going to average 600 yards a game?

:ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh:power:ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

First 4 games of 2009 yards

FAU 358

Ark St 274

Virg Tech 243

La Lafayette 222

Just because we gave up some yards to a mobile QB, doesn't mean we can't end up with a very good defense.

That 2009 defense had A LOT more talent on it, then this defense does....Unless Bo is hiding some major talent somewhere in the depth chart....

i was not overly impressed with the defensive play, the offense did good. when you line up against some top ranked teams, is this defense going to stop them, i wonder...the offense was good, but too many 3rd down plays.....maybe i am being a bit to critical, time will tell,,,,,southern miss is usally a fairly decent team, so maybe the play of nu was better than my first impressions

I want to know how much of the 260 yard total was in the first half and how much was in the second...because I'm thinking that a majority of the yards came in the first and adjustments to personnel and defensive formations limited them in the 2nd.

Anyone have that data?

USM got 108 yards and 3 points in the 2nd half. That means 152 yards and 17 points in the 1st half.

I want to know how much of the 260 yard total was in the first half and how much was in the second...because I'm thinking that a majority of the yards came in the first and adjustments to personnel and defensive formations limited them in the 2nd.

Anyone have that data?

USM got 108 yards and 3 points in the 2nd half. That means 152 yards and 17 points in the 1st half.

I would say halftime adjustments helped a bit.

I can't say I think it was half time adjustments that made the difference. Remember they were gashing us on their first drive of the 3rd quarter and then they had an unassisted fumble. Our offense allowed us to get far enough ahead to change the feel of the game and it was never in doubt after that.

Their first drive of the game they were moving the ball w/ ease and then a false start penalty took them off schedule. Also, they had a RB screen that was an easy 6 if he doesn't drop the ball and Alford missed a seem rout TD (although that drive may have ended in a TD anyways?)

Our defense looked a lot like last year to me. I think our secondary will be good but DL and LB's looked really bad and slow to me. I was always surprised that Crick caught so much grief last year and Meredith do little. After a strong showing a few years back all he has really given us is a cool mustache.

I also believe that the players that start the season are not the ones we will see by conference play.

My prediction....

The offense will look good but not quite as good as the season goes on as it did this week. They can still be pretty dang good with out racking up over 600 yards of offense.

The defense will look better than we saw on Saturday as the season goes on. They will make adjustments and improve.

So you're saying we're not going to average 600 yards a game?

:ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh:power:ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

We're not? Damn! ....very disappointing prediction.

First 4 games of 2009 yards

FAU 358

Ark St 274

Virg Tech 243

La Lafayette 222

Just because we gave up some yards to a mobile QB, doesn't mean we can't end up with a very good defense.

That 2009 defense had A LOT more talent on it, then this defense does....Unless Bo is hiding some major talent somewhere in the depth chart....

So if that talented defense gave up that many more yards to a team that was probably quite a bit worse (5-7 in the Sun Belt vs. Defending C-USA Champs), what does that mean?

Answer: No one knows (yet).

My issue is not so much the "game plan", but the over pursuit and missed tackles. Something I like to call fundamentals. You can't teach speed. If we could, our guys would be faster. I do feel confident that Bo knows how to teach "football" speed. RUUD in 2003 said that Bo really improved his game as he (Bo) taught him about the proper angles of pursuit. We all know this turned out pretty good for RUUD ie Husker record for tackles until DAVID came along. Of course that was when Bo was DC and had a lot more time to work with the D.

I agree that the guys we currently have starting might not be the same guys come conference play. Of course this is based on comments coming out of camp. Bo has shown a tendency to play "less" athletic guys over "more" athletic based upon knowledge of the system. I really hope that BO brings back the whole Super D/Haag/Gomes to get more athleticism on the field on D. David proved you can be "undersized" and do an outstanding job. Really same with comments about AA being "small" to go between the tackles. He did a great job Sat.

I am really hoping that Zaire, Santos, Anderson and our Freshman mountains on the DL can step up and get some playing time. One thing I read on another thread was that when the fresh subbed in on the DL, there was not a drop off in abilities nor did they get pushed off the line.

The numbers all look great. My concern would also be like Lo Country stated, the "fundamentals". We were pushed around quite easily. We over pursued quite a bit, and missed a lot of tackles Not breaking down and arm tackling is something you would think upperclassmen like Meredith and Carter would not be doing. I'm still particularly disappointed with Meredith's play. We are clearly lacking speed and power on the defensive line. I was also hoping Baker would establish himself as an elite DT this year. We've been waiting quite a while for that. What worries me is that we have been watching the same guys get pushed around for a few years now. I know it's just one game this season and improvements can be made. I guess I just had higher hopes that we would really start strong. I am wondering if this kind of play continues in Non Conference play, will Bo and his staff make the necessary changes. Meaning, rotating some different players in, giving other guys some opportunities to prove themselves. We just can't continue to watch the same guys underperform out there, whether they are upper classmen or not. Conference play will, guaranteed, be a lot tougher than what we faced on Saturday with Southern Miss. With an offense like I saw last weekend, this team could be crazy good, but if opponents can possess the ball with the run, pick up third downs, and run the clock.......unfortunately our offense won't be on the field against some of the better teams we face.

If we would tackled against So. Miss it would of been below 200 yards. I believe Bo and Co. Were also expecting everything to be thrown at them and almost overprepared the D which can cause some confusion. I think they have a much better idea what to expect this week with a weeks worth of film on UCLA. I expect them to tackle better and not be out of position as much and definately not be so confused. The more confused and mixed up the slower you react.

It's interesting. On Southern Miss' first drive, the defensive line played like crap. It ended in a 4th and 13 punt. Mostly due to Southern Miss shooting themselves in the foot. On their second drive our defensive line played much better, but Southern Miss ended up marching it down the field and put it in for 6.

Funny how these things work out.