Defensive changes

lo country

I've heard several people that are in the know that we have alot of "young" talent on the team. Obviously they aren't playing to help develop them so they understand the defense and offense. So do we put them in and develop them in game time situations or what's the answer there? I don't know if that's right or wrong because there are pro's and con's to both sides of the argument there.

so do the Royals.

OUCH!!! :lol:

Our DB's are not the problem. Our D linemen can't get off blocks and Compton and Whaley are too slow to run with receivers and runningbacks. If I had a lineup right now based off of who should be playing.

DE - Ankrah

DT - (I dunno they are all pretty bad, I'd almost consider burning Valentine's RS but I wouldn't want too. Take your pick I guess)

DE - Martin

OLB/Hybrid -Cooper

MLB - Compton

MLB - Santos/Whaley/and whatever happend to Roach?

OLB/Nickle - Jackson/Evans, Rose/Santos (why isn't Santos on the field? or am I just not seeing him?

Corner - Green/Stanley-Baptise

Corner - Mitchell/Seisay

Safety - Stafford/Jackson

Safety - Smith/Jackson

The point is our DL is sooooooo soft I'd rather we add another guy somewhere else to compensate for that horrible play and in hopes that Compton and Whaley won't have to run around as much chasing Runningbacks and Receivers and focus more on stuffing the middle and protecting the middle of the field.

I like your thinking. This would be better than what we have right now. Meredith and Steinkuhler have not shown me anything...when was the last game you said, wow great game by either of these guys? The DLine is giving us nothing. Unleash the Caveman more...the game feels different for the opposing QB when he is in there...he gets more pressure than anyone else on our DLine. Try some different looks at personnel. At least keep the opposing offense off-balance.

I for one am amazed this message board of which I'm a member has so many genius coaches! I'm so lucky!

It's not necessarily that. Folks have a genuine love of this team, and just want to put in their two cents. If somebody wants to give their thoughts on how they think our defense could be better, then knock yourself out...

But if you have a problem with people expressing their opinion, you should probably stay away from the internet...

• Fire 1

I for one am amazed this message board of which I'm a member has so many genius coaches! I'm so lucky!

It's not necessarily that. Folks have a genuine love of this team, and just want to put in their two cents. If somebody wants to give their thoughts on how they think our defense could be better, then knock yourself out...

But if you have a problem with people expressing their opinion, you should probably stay away from the internet...

Totally agree. We all have opinions of what we think could or should be done, not that it means anything to anyone else. Like walks said, just our 2-cents. :thumbs

In Bo's first year we were torched by Mizzou (I'm pretty sure it was Mizzou) and he came out after the game and said "I need to simplify things". He took one of the worst defenses in the country and put a decent product on the field. There were nowhere near great, but they overachieved.

I really thought that that was what he was going to do this year. It's not too late Bo!

It is difficult to give improve a good team. It is not that difficult to improve upon a defensive effort that surrendered 650 yards (more than Rice!). If Bo reads this board an implements a few suggestions, NU surrenders less than 500 yards next week. Now that's an improvement. :)

It is difficult to give improve a good team. It is not that difficult to improve upon a defensive effort that surrendered 650 yards (more than Rice!). If Bo reads this board an implements a few suggestions, NU surrenders less than 500 yards next week. Now that's an improvement. :)

Not against Arkansas State! If we give up 500 yards to Arkansas State it'll be a SDSU Jack Rabbits type of game...................................*shivers*

I've heard several people that are in the know that we have alot of "young" talent on the team. Obviously they aren't playing to help develop them so they understand the defense and offense. So do we put them in and develop them in game time situations or what's the answer there? I don't know if that's right or wrong because there are pro's and con's to both sides of the argument there.

Lavonte David was thrown in two years ago when Fisher went down and look how that turned out. Sometimes a scheme will only take you so far. Maybe simplifying the D and letting the physical talent shine through would be a better idea.

I agree with you, simplify it and put the speedy, physical, talented players on the field even if they aren't getting the complex defense that is Bo Pelini's defense. What do we have to lose really?

I never have been able to figure out why all these schools around the country can play freshman, including USC, Texas, etc.... yet Nebraska is never able to get young players on the field because they "don't get the system". At some point you either have to wonder about the players we are recruiting, or the coaches who are teaching them.

Lavonte David was thrown in two years ago when Fisher went down and look how that turned out. Sometimes a scheme will only take you so far. Maybe simplifying the D and letting the physical talent shine through would be a better idea.

I agree with you, simplify it and put the speedy, physical, talented players on the field even if they aren't getting the complex defense that is Bo Pelini's defense. What do we have to lose really?

I never have been able to figure out why all these schools around the country can play freshman, including USC, Texas, etc.... yet Nebraska is never able to get young players on the field because they "don't get the system". At some point you either have to wonder about the players we are recruiting, or the coaches who are teaching them.

It comes down to Bo being stubborn................he hasn't learned as a head coach that sometimes you have to adjust things to work with the talent that is around you. Right now we might not be able to run the 2-gap with what's around us. So change it and maybe next year or the year after that you'll have the talent to run the 2-gap because you've developed that talent. Obviously I don't know as much as I should probably know about football considering how much I watch it and the 7 years I played it, but I do remember the basics. If we change our defense and it stops the opposing offense, what's it hurting?

• Fire 1

I think these non-conference games are a great time to let the younger players in. So we lose-big deal, but at least they are gaining some experience that they can take into the regular season. They might also find guys who can actually handle the 'real time' playing experience better than some of the veterans. I remember when Comstache had his moustache. He was such a fighter. Now, and no offense Cam, but it doesn't look like you're enjoying the game very much. Our boys looked tired and like they just didn't care. I hate to say that because I know they DO care. So, I vote for the 'send in the younger players' They can't develop if they don't play and I think we would all agree that practicing a play and actually applying the practice are two different things.

Our DB's are not the problem. Our D linemen can't get off blocks and Compton and Whaley are too slow to run with receivers and runningbacks. If I had a lineup right now based off of who should be playing.

DE - Ankrah

DT - (I dunno they are all pretty bad, I'd almost consider burning Valentine's RS but I wouldn't want too. Take your pick I guess)

DE - Martin

OLB/Hybrid -Cooper

MLB - Compton

MLB - Santos/Whaley/and whatever happend to Roach?

OLB/Nickle - Jackson/Evans, Rose/Santos (why isn't Santos on the field? or am I just not seeing him?

Corner - Green/Stanley-Baptise

Corner - Mitchell/Seisay

Safety - Stafford/Jackson

Safety - Smith/Jackson

The point is our DL is sooooooo soft I'd rather we add another guy somewhere else to compensate for that horrible play and in hopes that Compton and Whaley won't have to run around as much chasing Runningbacks and Receivers and focus more on stuffing the middle and protecting the middle of the field.

I agree with a lot of the above. Our DB's are deep. Why not try moving some up into that LB/Hybrid role. Surely can't get any worse.

What secondary were you watching??

It comes down to Bo being stubborn................he hasn't learned as a head coach that sometimes you have to adjust things to work with the talent that is around you. Right now we might not be able to run the 2-gap with what's around us. So change it and maybe next year or the year after that you'll have the talent to run the 2-gap because you've developed that talent. Obviously I don't know as much as I should probably know about football considering how much I watch it and the 7 years I played it, but I do remember the basics. If we change our defense and it stops the opposing offense, what's it hurting?

And he can do that! I'm with you! I don't understand why he doesn't do that with our present team. It's exactly what he did when he came in after the Callahan disaster. He also did it as our defensive coordinator when Frank was here. I wish I knew what he was thinking-what his vision is like. I'm hoping it's like a great tapestry-we are only allowed to see the knots, crossed threads and missed stitches but when turned over it's gorgeous but it's an unfinished project.

I don't know. :) I guess I would first like to see Bo & Co. teach these kids the fundamentals (e.g. tackling, keeping your eye on the ball not the opposing player and running TO the ball, not waiting for the runner to come to you) and make sure they are solid THEN work on fine tuning your solid foundation by slowly building the process, not throwing a 300 page play book in their faces, expecting them to absorb it by osmosis then expecting them to execute it perfectly in real time play. I'm sure that is an exaggeration but that's what it looks like to me!