Is Bo Pelini's seat hot?

Excel

Bo Pelini hot seat?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't gotten through this entire thread yet, but I do want to mention how important it is for Pelini to have success in the eyes of boosters and the folks on the board (the ones with the big bucks invested in this program). I mean, what if they don't like him that much? All they gotta do is say to our AD, "Hey, if you don't get a better coach, you can kiss my money good-bye." Isn't that a possibility? I'd say they're the ones that matter ... even more than our AD or Perlman. Hope I'm wrong, but just sayin'

I have defended Bo ever since he got here as a head coach. I can see what he is trying to do and have always thought he was moving in the right direction.

I must say though, at this point in time, if it came out tomorrow that he took another job, I wouldn't shed a tear. There have always been some Husker fans that haven't liked him since he got here. What I find changing is people like me who have supported him.

I think the program has a good foundation now that it didn't have when he got here. The problem is the repeated games like this where the team is absolutely ho where close to being ready for the game.

I honestly don't know what he needs to do differently other than something isn't working. He can always grow into it. BUT, he needs to acknowledge that he himself isn't there yet and he needs to improve. If he would leave right now, I think we have a program that a better coach could step in an do very well with.

I have defended Bo ever since he got here as a head coach. I can see what he is trying to do and have always thought he was moving in the right direction.

I must say though, at this point in time, if it came out tomorrow that he took another job, I wouldn't shed a tear. There have always been some Husker fans that haven't liked him since he got here. What I find changing is people like me who have supported him.

I think the program has a good foundation now that it didn't have when he got here. The problem is the repeated games like this where the team is absolutely ho where close to being ready for the game.

I honestly don't know what he needs to do differently other than something isn't working. He can always grow into it. BUT, he needs to acknowledge that he himself isn't there yet and he needs to improve. If he would leave right now, I think we have a program that a better coach could step in an do very well with.

That kind of thinking is what got us callahandjob- lets all take off the red-colored glasses and admit that the Nebraska HC job is not going to attract a star coach that's going to get us to a N/C overnight, more likely we'd get another callfraud type that'd send us into a KU type death spiral- Bo, is doing things the "Nebraska" way and if we're lucky he'll stay another 10 years or so- if that happens we'll win a BIG championship game and maybe play for the N/C- that's as good as it's going to get, considering the changes in College FB over the last 15 years (no prop 48's, less over-all Scollies.-more money & exposure, SEC/ESPN love affair- etc)- guys like Snyder or Osborne only come around every 10-20 years- let's face it what other team in a state that has more cows than people, besides KSU and Nebraska has had the over-all success?

Bo is just getting things going and with a current record of 48-18 people need to just settle down

one last comment on the whole "Bo's a bad coach"....I am sure that in todays age of internet fan/fools- Osborne would have left for Colorado- and I'm sure a large portion of our "fan" base would have been glad- I remember in back in the days of never winning against Oklahoma or in the Bowl losses prior to the mid 90's "fan's" making jokes about Tom -you know the ones- "choking on the big one" "making 70,000 people scream Jesus Christ" yeah real funny- as good as Booing Scott Frost or calling Martinez a dumb Mexican

Best fans in the country my ass

That kind of thinking is what got us callahandjob- lets all take off the red-colored glasses and admit that the Nebraska HC job is not going to attract a star coach that's going to get us to a N/C overnight, more likely we'd get another callfraud type that'd send us into a KU type death spiral- Bo, is doing things the "Nebraska" way and if we're lucky he'll stay another 10 years or so- if that happens we'll win a BIG championship game and maybe play for the N/C- that's as good as it's going to get, considering the changes in College FB over the last 15 years (no prop 48's, less over-all Scollies.-more money & exposure, SEC/ESPN love affair- etc)- guys like Snyder or Osborne only come around every 10-20 years- let's face it what other team in a state that has more cows than people, besides KSU and Nebraska has had the over-all success?

Bo is just getting things going and with a current record of 48-18 people need to just settle down

I am not calling for Bo to be fired. I think that would be the wrong thing to do. What I am saying is that if he would take another job right now, I wouldn't shed a tear. That is COMPLETELY different than an egotistical AD coming in and firing a 10 win coach with no real option already on the hook and tearing down the entire program trying to build it into his own program while throwing away everything good that came before them.

I am not calling for Bo to be fired. I think that would be the wrong thing to do. What I am saying is that if he would take another job right now, I wouldn't shed a tear. That is COMPLETELY different than an egotistical AD coming in and firing a 10 win coach with no real option already on the hook and tearing down the entire program trying to build it into his own program while throwing away everything good that came before them.

I'm torn right now. I think it would be more likely to be bad for us if Bo left or was fired. There aren't a lot of program-changing coaches out there begging to come to Nebraska right now. Everyone can draw up their short list of dream candidates, but let's remember we did that when Frankie was fired and when Callahan was fired. We ended up with the worst coach we've had in 50 years and a schizophrenic brilliant/asinine coach as a result. We could get someone great. But for every great hire out there, there's two dozen mistakes waiting to happen. Hiring a new coach is a minefield. I don't relish the thought of walking that minefield.

Having said that... there are fundamental issues with this team. First-year-fix issues-- hell, first-week-fix issues. Recruiting misses, basic technique training, competent game-management, game-planning, in-game adjustments, stuff like this. It's understandable that the road would be rocky with a first-time head coach. And Bo has done some amazing things here, made some amazing progress here, let's not ignore that.

But having your senior-laden defense quit in two different prime-time, nationally-televised games in one season, your fifth season, is unforgivable. We'll never not have this loss on our conscious. Winning the Big Ten next year won't erase 70-31. If Bo finds another job, I'll always wonder what might have been around here. But at the same time... this isn't OK.

Knapp,

That is exactly where I am at. I don't want to go through a coaching search. I firmly believe that most of the time, that sets a program back. Bo has done some very good things here. He has brought in some very good players that happen to be pretty young right now.

the problem is, stuff like what happened on Saturday night has nothing to do with talent. I don't even think it has anything to do with game planning or in game adjustments or technique training...etc. This staff and group of players have proven to me over this year that they can do all of those things at one point or another. I firmly believe that it is all there inside our program to win that game and win the Big Ten Championship. The big question is, why does a program like this with everything that it has inside, completely fall apart like it did on Saturday?

You/I can sit here and blame the coaches. They should have the players mentally prepared to come out and play that game hard. BUT, then I sit back and think....this is these players 13th game of the season. There are a lot of seniors on this team. They have played this team before and beat them. They KNEW what to expect. This team shouldn't have to rely on a coaching staff to get them pumped up and ready to kill.

I honestly don't understand it.

Just throwing this out there. At this point, the big jobs are in the SEC. This would be a perfect time to go after Franklin at Vanderbilt. You don't see coaches make a move within the same league very often. While Tennessee, Arkansas or Auburn would be a step up for him - I just don't see him doing that to Vandy. That leaves Cal as the only other legit job opening currently. Nebraska is looking pretty good right now. If he was to move, Nebraska would be at the top of the list for an SEC coach. At this point, Nebraska would likely be the premier opening. I'd put us on par w/ the 3 SEC teams - and don't see a lot of other anticipated openings. Maybe Oregon if Chip goes NFL - but I don't see us competign w/ Oregon for that style of coach. I think we could grab Franklin if we moved quick. I worry next year, with a few more losses could see us going up against far better/bigger programs. Places like Texas, USC, LSU etc. Throw in K-State possibly, maybe Virginia Tech, possibly Miami again - long ways out...but there are some possible future job openings that far trump Nebraska.

Should we? I have no clue, and I'm very much on the fence. Everyone points back to the Callahan hire for why we shouldn't - rather than point to any sort of reason why we should have kept Frank. We're blaming a failed hire, not claiming int was a failed firing. And those that claim it was just point right back to the hiring. We're assuming we'd end up with a Callahan type of coach. I don't think that would happen. I don't think we'd end up with someone that comes in here with the intent to completely change Nebraska football. Honestly, Callahan was a 6-8 year project. How else do you take one of the most dominant rushing offenses in the country - one that rarely passes - and attempt to go to a 45+ pass West Coast offense? It wasn't happening in 4 years, no one should have thought it would.

I guess what it really comes down to is whether one would rather have a $hitty offense and a stellar defense where in a loss the score looks like 3-7 or whether one would rather have a good offense and a $hitty defense where in a loss the score looks like 31-70? Personally, I prefer the first one which is why I never was a BC supporter. Some people on the other hand would rather have the second one which leads to more boom and bust games.

that is not my point at all. my point is that bo has proven that he can coach a stellar defense right here at nu and that in his tenure he has fielded a pretty goo offense. so it is odd to me for people to be calling for his head. this program is in a better position it was when bo got here and he is still learning. he needs to improve his personnel on defense and coach to their strengths, but we are going in the right direction. slowly, but steadily.

He's only proven he can coach a stellar defense when he's coaching BC recruits. He has shown zero ability for coaching a stellar defense with his recruits. He wasn't at OU long enough to really put much of a stamp on OU recruits. He really wasn't at LSU long enough to put a huge stamp on recruits either. He has now been at NU long enough to have his stamp on recruits. Bo can coach a stellar defense when it's laden with NFL ready talent.

In terms of finding the program better off today than before he got here, kind of sort of. If you remove the 07's season, then no it's not any better than it was before he got here. In 07', we lost several games in a row towards the end of the season when BC and staff knew they were done as Pud had been fired and TO brought in as AD. With the handwriting on the wall, the 07' season pretty well explains itself.

Now, I don't want Bo fired. We've been down that road with regards to Solich, and it has bitten us in the a$$ ever since. Solich went and overhauled his staff after a poor season. He turned the playcalling over. The difference here is I'm not convinced Bo is this flexible. His stubborness will eventually lead to his undoing. People can rip Pap all they want, but I hold no illusions he's the one dialing in the D. In all reality, I believe Carl saw the handwriting on the wall and bolted. If Bo would pull a Solich, his life would be easier with fewer duties and we'd probably see better play. This entire thing can be turned around, but I'm just not sure Bo is flexible enough to allow it to happen.

The firing of Bo brings nothing but bad things to the program for years to come. If he leaves on his own accord, we have a 50/50 chance of it turning out good or bad. I also wouldn't necessarily shed a tear if he left on his own. I really don't have any short list in terms of a replacement. However, we're going to have to bring in a coach who has proven he can do more with less. The only one that really comes to mind is Mike Riley at Oregon State, and I have no idea whether he'd even be interested. The Boise State coach might come to a lot of people's mind, but I'd be very careful here. Koetter was really the one to put Boise State on the map, and we all know how well he did at Arizona State. Then came Hawkins. We all know how that turned out at CU. For all we know, it could be three strikes your out or it could be three times a charm.

There are several program-changing coaches out there who would leap at the chance to inherit Nebraska's legacy and facilities.

You just don't know who they are, yet.

They've turned around moribund football programs at smaller colleges and universities, and taken second and third tier recruits and gotten them to play out of their heads. That's the skill set you care about.

They haven't proved themselves at the Division 1 head-coaching level yet, but they are at the same place every college football coaching great was early in his career.

They're hungrier. They're cheaper. And they welcome the challenge.

Like most big rewards in life it involves a risk.

Bo seat is somehwere between warm and hot.Simmering? I think this next year will be his last at NU and here is why: 1) Martinez is a senior and if Bo has a lackluster season next year with the easy schedule and a veteran offense you can bet Huskernation will be very upset. 2) A new AD will be in the office and likely looking to stake a claim to returning NU to prominence whether firing Bo is the right thing or not, the new AD will definitly make himself known.

What I think happens is this: We start off the year really hot, probably undefeated by the time we get to Michigan but we get pasted on the road....agian. We back into the conference title game against OSU and lose by 17-21. At which point Husker fans are upset like they are this year but not upset enough to fire Bo. However, Bo knowing that Martinez will not be returning the following year listens to his agent telling him his stock is high enough that he can go elsewhere get paid more and not have to deal with the microscope that is NU football. Between the conference title game and the bowl Bo accepts a new coaching position and we are left with Tim Beck as head coach going into the bowl game at which point we get smacked....agian, and the carousel begins.....again.

Now if that doesnt happen Bo will likely get canned in 2014 when with a green QB the team puts up a 7-5 record.

Is this a hope, or prediction? It better be a prediction. If it is a hope, you've got some issues.