switching to 3-4 look

ccm420

Do you guys really think Steinkuhler at 6-6 can play the nose! I don't! He's gonna get double teamed and if he dosent stay fairly low he's gonna look like he's on skates! I love him as an end as he could set the edge but as a nose guard I think he's way to tall! The ideal NG is 6-1 310. I don't think we have one of those...

I think Jay Guy fits that mold 6-1 310 but haven't herd his name mentioned since the mn game last year.

Jay Guy can be found on the bottom of the depth chart. I never understood that offer, he always looked "sloppy" big for someone that is suppose to be a good athlete. The exception to that rule would be Wilfork,and Raji....

This might be the Acme of stupidity, but whatever happened to Jared Afalava and his reported awesomeness?

I'll double down on that height of stupidity. Don't you pretty much have to have a beast at DT for a 3-4 to work? Who is our "beast?" It isn't Steinkuhler. Valentine is injured and will see little if any time (they want to redshirt him). The only guys who physically fit the mold are Todd Peat, Jr. and Vincent Valentine (both just barely) and they're both injured.

I'm not up on current events. Has anyone with any semblance of credibility confirmed this?

No

This might be the Acme of stupidity, but whatever happened to Jared Afalava and his reported awesomeness?

I'll double down on that height of stupidity. Don't you pretty much have to have a beast at DT for a 3-4 to work? Who is our "beast?" It isn't Steinkuhler. Valentine is injured and will see little if any time (they want to redshirt him). The only guys who physically fit the mold are Todd Peat, Jr. and Vincent Valentine (both just barely) and they're both injured.

I'm not up on current events. Has anyone with any semblance of credibility confirmed this?

Do you mean Nose Tackle? Because my limited actual knowledge of football scheming tells me you need one in this defense.

I'm officially intrigued.

No

It's a cool story though...

I'm not sure we've seen any of the true freshmen LB's take the field this year. But I will say the 3-4 fits real well with Afalava, Rose, Brown, Banderas, Newby, and Love.

As for this year I don't think we'll ever see more than 3 true linebackers on the field at the same time. Will either have Cooper or Evans playing that nickle spot or maybe/hopefully Jackson.

My guess:

Ankrah (the nose tackle) (the other D end)

Green Evans/Cooper Anderson/Santos Compton Cooper/Santos Seisay/Mitchell

Stafford Smith

It's so hard to know who should see playing time anymore.

I'm not sure we've seen any of the true freshmen LB's take the field this year. But I will say the 3-4 fits real well with Afalava, Rose, Brown, Banderas, Newby, and Love.

As for this year I don't think we'll ever see more than 3 true linebackers on the field at the same time. Will either have Cooper or Evans playing that nickle spot or maybe/hopefully Jackson.

My guess:

Ankrah (the nose tackle) (the other D end)

Green Evans/Cooper Anderson/Santos Compton Cooper/Santos Seisay/Mitchell

Stafford Smith

It's so hard to know who should see playing time anymore.

It is impossible to know if any of those guys will work out for us.... A couple of them aren't even on campus yet!

• 3 weeks later...

Guess this wasn't a permanent change.

Kind of hoping we would see more of the speed on D than Fish, Compton and Whaley. Hoped Bo would develop a hybrid like Haag or Super D in 2003. Oregon did ok last year with their smaller, but much faster D 45-38. TCU 21-19. TO won 3 MNC's with smaller quicker guys. Do not know why he is insistent that to beat Wisky and the other B1G teams we need some slow a$$ LB's who can't run in space. Boggles the mind. We have shown an inability to win with the "True LB's". How about play the speed until we lose with them. David was a freak, but proved you can be smaller and still succeed. Look at his tenure at NU and now at Tampa. Mitchell seems to be doing well at 155 (lightest guy on team). Not to mention Baron Miles didn't do to bad either (5'8, 165 lbs).

I want NU to force a change in the opponents like the Florida schools did to us.

A little excerpt about another ok NU LB, Terrell Farley

Farley was exactly what the Huskers were looking for in a speed linebacker. Former NU Defensive Coordinator Charlie McBride said he fit their linebacker mold.

“We were not afraid to recruit him, even though he was a little undersized for most linebackers," said McBride. "But our philosophy was speed and quickness, and he fit that perfectly for our WILL linebacker position. When we changed our defense, we went to the speed backer. We didn’t worry about if they were 230 or 240 pounds. Some linebackers are blue-collar, ground-level grunts, but to me, Terrell was a high-wire flyer.”

“Coach McBride told me that he wanted me to hit somebody first before I would get to play. I was making plays, but he wanted to see me get that pop in on somebody. Instead of making full contact, I would run around and make the play. I didn’t really like making contact at first, especially against certain bigger players,” Farley said.

Farley got an A+ for what he did his first season at NU. To come in your first year from junior college and immediately impact a defense and a team that just won the national championship the year before means that you are a special player.

He led the team in 1995 in tackles (62), interceptions (three) and blocked kicks (two), and was second in sacks (5), setting the tone for a hard-hitting, playmaking style of Black Shirt defense that ran over every opponent in its path en route for a second straight national championship. (all 205 lbs of him)