Over-all discusion on the D

Let's face it, Ziare was OK, not great just OK, he was caught out of position because the MIKE didn't let him know. The D was confused too many times by the ball huddle offense. Not that we will see that again, this was a one and done. These are Pelini's recruits. They came to stop the spread, not the run. Put Steinkuler back on the Oline, get Whaley out of there (too many times he followed the fake) AND ARE YOU HAVING ME AS A BOWEL MOVEMENT, UTAH STATE! REALLY?! Sorry, lost my thoughts. More later

They looked great..........except the team they were playing didnt have a pulse. We have seen this year in and year out, look great agianst inferior competition and the second we play a decent team we either eek out a win or lose due to bonehead mistakes. Not too excited about this team so far.

Aplin was player of the year last year in the Sun-Belt and Oku is no slouch at RB either. Yes they were an inferior team, but we still kept a good offense from scoring and I was impressed. Wonder what Malzan's thoughts were on our D?

Yes I am happy today to see some of the younger guys step up a little hopefully the D will continue to improve into next year. I don't care what the coaches say, but yes I had a heart attack when the blackshirts gave up all those yds, not bc I was judgemental, but bc I have so much respect for the blackshirts. This defense needs to go in the direction of speed and athleticism

There was definitely a few 3-4 plays. also a few where meredith just stood up, same concept.

Meredith standing up is not a 3-4 in my book..see above..in no way is he effective as a linebacker or defensive end. If you want a true 3-4..use Martin as that 4th L-backer...he has the speed to cover the flat as well as the strength and speed to beat the o-line and lay the smack down on the QB

The defense still needs to bring more pressure. EMart should be on the field. He is our best player for getting pressure and hurries. I'd also like to see some corner and safety blitzes. And LB's coming up the middle. The D-Line can push and collapse the pocket... that is about as much as I expect with this D-Line. We can't let guys like D-Rob last year and Hundley this year get all comfortable back there. They knew our D-Line could not touch them...so keep them off balance with blitzes and pressure from elsewhere.

The defense still needs to bring more pressure. EMart should be on the field. He is our best player for getting pressure and hurries. I'd also like to see some corner and safety blitzes. And LB's coming up the middle. The D-Line can push and collapse the pocket... that is about as much as I expect with this D-Line. We can't let guys like D-Rob last year and Hundley this year get all comfortable back there. They knew our D-Line could not touch them...so keep them off balance with blitzes and pressure from elsewhere.

agreed on mr martin. they were bringing him in more on 3rd down situations but he needs to bump Meredith