*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm reading Sports Illustrated's writeup about the Nebraska game. LINK Doesn't SI do *any* fact checking?

Nebraska is the only unbeaten team left on that side of the conference standings, and No. 8 Wisconsin comes to town in two weeks.

Really SI? It's a home game for us? Well shoot, I'm headed to Lincoln then. :lol:

After finishing a brutal stretch against three straight Top 20 foes, the Hoosiers visit underperforming Northwestern.

Do you not watch college football SI? Oh sure, NW dropped two early games they shouldn't have lost. But they just beat Iowa and Michigan State. Both road games for NW, and both games they were expected to lose. :facepalm:

So I'm reading Sports Illustrated's writeup about the Nebraska game. LINK Doesn't SI do *any* fact checking?

Nebraska is the only unbeaten team left on that side of the conference standings, and No. 8 Wisconsin comes to town in two weeks.

Really SI? It's a home game for us? Well shoot, I'm headed to Lincoln then. :lol:

After finishing a brutal stretch against three straight Top 20 foes, the Hoosiers visit underperforming Northwestern.

Do you not watch college football SI? Oh sure, NW dropped two early games they shouldn't have lost. But they just beat Iowa and Michigan State. Both road games for NW, and both games they were expected to lose. :facepalm:

no they dont watch. neither do a lot of folks. not a lot of ppl "watch" anymore. they pick a small snippet, and then quickly develop an opinion throw it out as fact. And there's not accountability for what you say. so it doesnt matter if youre right or wrong.

Drew Magary at Deadspin had a couple of mailbag questions that made me think of Nebraska:

Michael:

This Saturday I was at a local college football game with seats down close to the field. Well, the people sitting in the first row thought it would be a good idea to stand most of the time, not just potential big plays/moments, blocking our view. BTW, we were in the grownup section, not the students section. Some people around us got into with them (including the dude standing offering to fight the person complaining). So who’s right in this situation? Yes the person has a right to stand, however, they shouldn’t be a douchebag about it and block other people’s views.

This has been a real bone of contention with fans lately. I’ve gotten emails bitching about fans who always sit, and other emails bitching about fans who always stand. In both cases, people were essentially complaining about outliers in their section who who refuse to obey the laws of sociology and won’t do what the rest of the section is doing. So here are some basic rules about sitting and standing that I pulled out of my ass right now.

This Saturday I was at a local college football game with seats down close to the field. Well, the people sitting in the first row thought it would be a good idea to stand most of the time, not just potential big plays/moments, blocking our view. BTW, we were in the grownup section, not the students section. Some people around us got into with them (including the dude standing offering to fight the person complaining). So who’s right in this situation? Yes the person has a right to stand, however, they shouldn’t be a douchebag about it and block other people’s views.

1. If it’s a playoff game, you stand.

2. If you’re in a student section, you stand.

3. If it’s the end of a close game, you stand.

4. If someone just dunked/hit a homer/scored a long touchdown, you stand and high five.

5. If the first four instances don’t apply, you should be a f'ing sheep and do whatever everyone else in your section is doing.

6. If you want everyone in the section to stand, and you stand up alone in hopes of them following suit, and they DON’T, then you gotta sit back down instead of cursing them out for not having enough spirit.

7. If you’re blocking a kid or an old lady’s view, be sure to turn around and ask, “Am I blocking you?” so that they can politely say “Oh no, it’s fine!” when it’s really not.

8. Don’t hold up a f'ing sign all game long.

There. Those are the rules. In every instance, you should have some awareness and consideration for your fellow event-goer, and you should adjust your own behavior so that you don’t come off as an extreme c$%k. Sometimes standing is warranted. Sometimes you’re stuck in the hip replacement surgery section. Deal with it.

Lincoln:

Need help on this. Classic school lunch here in Nebraska is chili and cinnamon rolls. I’ve heard from people in Iowa and South Dakota who had the same hot lunch goodness. But if anyone from anywhere else in the US hears of this combo they act like it’s totally crazy. So 1) Is chili and cinnamon roll common 2) your thoughts on it as a food combo?

That’s the most Midwestern sounding sh#t ever. I emailed Lincoln for clarity on this because I wanted to know if they served the chili ON the cinnamon roll. He replied, “No but it’s customary to dunk the cinnamon roll. It’s a prominent meal at a local burger chain.” Please note the copy on that website, because it’s about as honest as any brand can get. “Hey, this is weird as hell but also pretty good.”

Anyway, I would gladly eat this. It sounds both lethal AND dumb… like the byproduct of two fast food chains that share the same register at a rest stop. But that only makes it more tantalizing. I’d even dunk my cinnamon roll in the chili and then immediately regret it. People like salty and sweet together, so I kinda get it*. But I wouldn’t actively seek out this meal. Eating it would lower my self-esteem by at least four percent.

(*Every time I try chicken and waffles, I end up eating the chicken first and the waffles second. I know you’re supposed to eat them together, but every time I do that, I end up just wanting the chicken plain, without goddamn syrup all over it. It’s too much food for one mouth, man. I’m aware this take means I can never be a southerner and that pleases me.)

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/when-should-you-stand-at-a-sporting-event-1787922164

• Fire 1
it’s customary to dunk the cinnamon roll

You don't dunk the cinnamon roll. This isn't milk and cookies. It's more like cheese & wine - you have some of one, then some of the other. They compliment each other.

What kind of weak-ass chili are you eating if you can dunk a soft cinnamon roll in it, anyway? Chili isn't soup.

You don't dunk the cinnamon roll. This isn't milk and cookies. It's more like cheese & wine - you have some of one, then some of the other. They compliment each other.

What kind of weak-ass chili are you eating if you can dunk a soft cinnamon roll in it, anyway? Chili isn't soup.

Amen! I've tried to tell my mother that for years!

I came here from Texas, and I have a small question.

WHAT SOUNDS GOOD ABOUT COMBINING A CINNAMON ROLL WITH CHILI?!

red-vintage-the-boxy-goodie-goodie-8231-

You've heard of pairing wine with food, right? It's a marriage of flavors that go well together.

Same thing with chili & cinnamon. Spicy & sweet, with earthy tones.

Get a good bowl of chili, get a good cinnamon roll. Try a bite of one, follow it with the other. You'll see.

• Fire 1

You've heard of pairing wine with food, right? It's a marriage of flavors that go well together.

Same thing with chili & cinnamon. Spicy & sweet, with earthy tones.

Get a good bowl of chili, get a good cinnamon roll. Try a bite of one, follow it with the other. You'll see.

Chili with cinnamon rolls. Heh, wouldn't be something I'd think to try together. But it is chili season. Next time I make a batch I'll give it a try. :lol: