*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

ghQ5AvG.jpg

From an article on schools whose students end up with big debt burdens. LINK

I guess I'm not that familiar with The Creative Center. But but I'm thinking my $10k in debt for a BSEE from UNL was a better deal than $52k for a degree from The Creative Center.

grammar nerds, i need some help understanding something. i have a problem with neither/nor. take this statement: 'i can neither confirm nor deny'. would it not make sense to just say 'i can neither confirm *or* deny'? because confirm and deny are the two things of which neither can be done. when you say 'neither' you are saying neither of these two things; do not do this or that. to me it just seems like when you say neither/nor the 'nor' is unnecessary or redundant (it has a double negative kind of feel) and 'or' works perfectly fine coupling the two thing of which the 'neither' is relating to.

'nor' is a weird word to me and seems unnecessary.

thoughts? i know i did not explain this too well, but this bothers me.

But you're fine with never, ever capitalizing the first word of your sentences?

• Fire 1

grammar nerds, i need some help understanding something. i have a problem with neither/nor. take this statement: 'i can neither confirm nor deny'. would it not make sense to just say 'i can neither confirm *or* deny'? because confirm and deny are the two things of which neither can be done. when you say 'neither' you are saying neither of these two things; do not do this or that. to me it just seems like when you say neither/nor the 'nor' is unnecessary or redundant (it has a double negative kind of feel) and 'or' works perfectly fine coupling the two thing of which the 'neither' is relating to.

billydeeclap.gif

Neither is always paired with nor because both are "negative" in reference. You use neither/nor when you're saying you don't like either option. I choose neither this nor that.

You cannot say I choose neither this OR that because either/or is a "positive" or "affirmative" reference, and mixing the two is grammatically incorrect.

Using neither/nor does not make a double negative, unless you pair the phrase with another negative, like I don't choose neither this nor that. That's a double negative and, of course, grammatically incorrect.

but if you say neither, you are implying a negative to both things that follow. so you are saying neither this or that, no to both. or couples the do together, both of which 'neither' is referring to. once you say neither, there will necessarily be two things, both of which 'neither' applies. so, i can eat neither peanuts or shellfish = i can not eat peanuts and shellfish. or you could say, 'i can not eat either peanuts or shellfish'. which is using the affirmative as a negative.

you did help clear this up, but i just do not see why neither/or is wrong. i do not see how 'or' is a positive or affirmative, it is just used to couple to words.

basically i just hate the english language.

In computer language, "or" can mean either part is true. So if you say "I can neither confirm or deny", that statement would be true if either part were true. That is, if you could not confirm it but you could deny it, saying "I can neither confirm or deny" it would still be a true statement because the first part is true.

However, "nor" means that both parts have to line up for the statement to be true.

Probably not quite the same a grammar rules but computers are a lot easier to understand than grammar rules. ;)

LOL. sd'sker. the t. s. eliot of hb. :lol:

Would he dare to each a peach?

Well, we know he ate one a while back. Since he's going to have a kid in a few months. But since he's going to have a kid in a few months, I seriously doubt if he's eating many peaches these days. If you know what I mean. :lol:

btw, Congratulations sd'sker!

LOL. sd'sker. the t. s. eliot of hb. :lol:

Would he dare to each a peach?

Well, we know he ate one a while back. Since he's going to have a kid in a few months. But since he's going to have a kid in a few months, I seriously doubt if he's eating many peaches these days. If you know what I mean. :lol:

btw, Congratulations sd'sker!

i would prefer to be known as the 'e.e. cummings' of huskerboard, but i do respect the high modernity of t.s. eliot. i do not know what peaches had to do with it, but thank you!

i may not be perfect, but i try to be consistent. a lot of time with grammar, if the rule does not make logical sense to me, i just do what i think is best. however, i just like to avoid capitalization with informal conversations.

i would prefer to be known as the 'e.e. cummings' of huskerboard, but i do respect the high modernity of t.s. eliot. i do not know what peaches had to do with it, but thank you!

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot

<snip>

I grow old . . . I grow old . . .

I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?

I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.

I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

<snip>

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot

<snip>

I grow old . . . I grow old . . .

I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?

I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.

I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

<snip>

With the peach being forbidden fruit, right?