Bo's Crossroads...

Talking to people after deflating losses like this, I have to say about half of the people I talk to feel Bo should be gone by now. They don't think he's going to cut it as a head coach. On the other hand, it took Dr. Tom a hell of a long time to build up the dynasty he did, and once he finally figured out some coaching nuances and tweaked some things (i.e., switch to a 4-3)... Look at what resulted.

I don't mean to clutter up the board with another Bo thread, but honestly I think Bo is at a crossroads right now. After another embarrassing primetime beatdown, I think certain people are starting to turn on Bo and a lot of the fanbase are on the end of their rope.

I'd put the chances that Bo is still around in two years at 50/50 at this point, especially with Eichorst in the AD spot now.

The keys for Bo to remain as head coach at NU are:

• Bo figures out how to more effectively recruit the horses he needs to run his defensive scheme. He's been so obstinate with this scheme, but now we're finally seeing what happens when you try to run it with mediocre talent. The results are UGLY. I honestly think Fisher/Whaley/Cam shouldn't be starting for NU at this point in Bo's tenure, but they are because they're the BEST we have. I do like the depth in the defensive backfield and he's stocking the LB cupboard really well these last two classes, but he ABSOLUTELY needs better talent on the DL. If they can't pressure the QB and make plays on the run running the 2 gap, we're toast. Finding another Suh-esque freak would be a godsend.
  • -OR-
  • Bo adapts to a new defensive scheme to adjust to the talent he has. As opposed to continually trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, Bo could suck it up, and take a major step forward as a head coach. This would involve learning that sometimes you have to adapt to best use what you have, and he could devise a defense that is less complicated and allows the athletes to get on the field earlier. Super D blitz-a-thons would be welcome compared to the 4 man rush + coverage we're so used to on 3rd downs.
  • +
  • Bo finds a way to defend the mobile QB. This one most likely would include altering his scheme at least a little. He either needs to put a spy on the QB and figure how to work the coverage around that, or stay the course on the pressure he was bringing on Braxton in the 1st quarter against OSU the whole game. It was working, but I think Bo got scared and reverted to what he knew, which killed us. Blitzing to get to the mobile QB is bound to give up a big play or two (or three) but you have to accept those if it works the majority of the time.
  • +
  • Bo finds a way to eliminate the mental mistakes on offense. We simply cannot keep giving the ball away. This is especially frustrating to watch for me, as I see many parallels to my favorite NFL team, the Eagles. Both offenses are explosive enough to win and even dominate games, but often shoot themselves in the foot with giveaways and kill any momentum they have.

So... Longer post, but I think Bo needs to do 1 of the top 2 and both of the bottom 2 in order to SUCCEED as a head coach at NU.If he doesn't, I think Bo is gone before too much longer. By succeed, I mean BCS-bowl game type wins and have us competing for the NC regularly. I think Bo can be an 8-9 win coach here at NU even if he doesn't do those things, but I don't think that's a road anyone is interested in going down.

What say you Huskerboard?

• Bo figures out how to more effectively recruit the horses he needs to run his defensive scheme.
  • Bo adapts to a new defensive scheme to adjust to the talent he has.
  • Bo finds a way to defend the mobile QB.

Bo is working on this, as we have a good looking kids that have committed. I understand its verbal, but its still something we can hold our attention to. We are focusing hard on the Defense and Offensive line. Unlike last year, where we focused on our offense. We are recruiting some big, fast kids, that will help us a TON. With the talent we are recruiting for, and the players redshirted, I feel we are slowly changing defensive schemes, as we are also practicing them on the weekdays. IE 3-4 & 3:3:5. We have occasionally seen this on the field, but a 3-4 doesn't benefit us right now, because our starting LB's don't have the speed to successfully execute it in my opinion. According to the recruiting gurus, we have more talent who have secretly committed who have not wanted to come out publicly and would leave that for Signing Day.

Josh Banderas;LB;6-2;220;Lincoln (Southwest)

Jonathan Cook;CB;6-0;185;Spanish Fort, Ala.

Nathan Gerry;ATH;6-2;206;Sioux Falls (Washington), S.D.

Kevin Gladney;WR;6-1;182;Akron (Firestone), Ohio

Zach Hannon;OL;6-5;295;Kansas City (Rockhurst), Mo.

Greg Hart;TE;6-5;225;Dayton (Archbishop Alter), Ohio

Christian Lacouture;DE;6-5;270;Lincoln (Southwest)

Courtney Love;LB;6-1;225;Youngstown (Cardinal Mooney), Ohio

Marcus McWilson;DB;6-0;195;Youngstown (Cardinal Mooney), Ohio

Gabriel Miller;OL;6-0;235;Mishawaka (Penn), Ind.

A.J. Natter;DE;6-6;240;Milton, Wis.

Marcus Newby;LB;6-1;207;North Potomac (Quince Orchard), Md.

Dan Samuelson;OL;6-5;275;Plymouth, Ind.

Johnny Stanton;QB;6-2;220;Rancho Santa Margarita (Catholic), Calif.

It sort of sounds like our closeout recruiting currently is teetering on the edge of disaster, after a very strong early period. If so, it's going to unfortunately settle this class along with many of our past classes, which doesn't set us up extremely well for the future.

• Bo figures out how to more effectively recruit the horses he needs to run his defensive scheme.

Bo is working on this, as we have a good looking kids that have committed. I understand its verbal, but its still something we can hold our attention to. We are focusing hard on the Defense and Offensive line. Unlike last year, where we focused on our offense. We are recruiting some big, fast kids, that will help us a TON. With the talent we are recruiting for, and the players redshirted, I feel we are slowly changing defensive schemes, as we are also practicing them on the weekdays. IE 3-4 & 3:3:5. We have occasionally seen this on the field, but a 3-4 doesn't benefit us right now, because our starting LB's don't have the speed to successfully execute it in my opinion. According to the recruiting gurus, we have more talent who have secretly committed who have not wanted to come out publicly and would leave that for Signing Day.

What's with the bolding of these individuals?k Defense and OL? Also, Gabe Miller is a 2* LS...not exactly a big, fast, physical kid that is going to strike fear into the hearts of defensive linemen everywhere on a count of him only being in the game on punts and field goals.

Well, yeah, I'm just trying to throw out my personal thoughts on the situation. It might sounds similar to what a lot of other people are saying, but it just feels good to voice my opinion somewhere in a concrete way, as opposed to tagging it onto some other generic Bo thread and having it ignored. I figured this was a better way to get some feedback and discussion from other HB members... Thanks for the support Skersfan.

I haven't jumped totally onto the "fire Bo" bandwagon just yet, thought with each one of these heartwrenching losses it seems more and more like I've got a foot in that door.

I just wanted to state my rationale for what Bo would have to do to stay and see if anyone else agreed.

What's with the bolding of these individuals?k Defense and OL? Also, Gabe Miller is a 2* LS...not exactly a big, fast, physical kid that is going to strike fear into the hearts of defensive linemen everywhere on a count of him only being in the game on punts and field goals.

Also, not 100% sold Cook sticks around. If Bama offers he's gone.

Well, yeah, I'm just trying to throw out my personal thoughts on the situation. It might sounds similar to what a lot of other people are saying, but it just feels good to voice my opinion somewhere in a concrete way, as opposed to tagging it onto some other generic Bo thread and having it ignored.

This is the problem. You feel as though your opinion/thoughts are so much more important than those of the rest of HuskerBoard, so you insist on making your own thread so your very important opinions can get the publicity they deserve.

And the next guy feels as though his opinion/thoughts are so much more important than those of the rest of HuskerBoard, so he insists on making his own thread so his very important opinions can get the publicity they deserve.

And the next guy feels as though his opinion/thoughts are so much more important than those of the rest of HuskerBoard, so he insists on making his own thread so his very important opinions can get the publicity they deserve.

See how that might become a problem?

• Fire 2

I think one HUGE things Bo doesn't like to do, and I feel you need to do in college football especially with QBs that can run is play more man coverage on the outside. You need to put in the guys who can play good man to man on the outside so you can have more guys on the inside and backside to play for the run.

Now, you don't need to do this for teams who don't have good running QBs. For instance, think about all the teams we have played since Bo's been here. Which ones do we usually have the best defensive games against?? The teams who's QBs can't run. We have stopped many of those offenses at the word go.

However, he tries to play that same defense against spread offenses with running QBs and it doesn't work unless your defense is full of studs and playmakers(i.e.2009 defense).

I really believe it's as easy as this. You have to play more man on the outside against teams like tOSU, Michigan, NW, etc. This leaves one more, many times at least 2 more guys to defend the run on the inside. Or am I totally missing something??

BTW, Knapp, I gotta call Bush League on your post. Cuz now nobody will even scroll down far enough to see my post so I'm gonna have to start a new topic.

• Fire 1