My conclusions after thinking deep... (read all for good perspective))

thatguy

I suppose this is like an editorial...

I’ve spent quite some time thinking about this. I’m not asking for Bo Pelini to be fired, but please read through my comments if you can to undersand what i am saying. It would be difficult and a shame and a disappointment to start over with the program.

At this point though, it’s safe to say there’s no difference between Callahan and Pelini (except maybe their records) – both are stubborn, blindly loyal to the point of failure, have Everest sized egos, refuse to fit the scheme to the players, and have pretty much shown themselves to be clueless. The only difference is that Callahan was supposed to be an offensive genius, while Bo is supposed to be a defensive genius. Also, Bo seems to be doing well to preserve Nebraska’s tradition, except when it comes to winning.

People who compare Bo’s years here to the years Osborne had need to stop. Osborne only dropped out of the top 15 once. He also never had any blowouts, and was never clueless. It may take Bo “25 years” as well to win a National Championship, but why in the world are we supposed to wait for that? Even if we do, I don’t think it’s a bad thing to ask for the team to be at least competitive and stop giving other teams career days and records.

To explain better, If it took a company 25 years to break into the fortune “25”, and a catastrophe like a bad recall forces them down to only the fortune 500, it should not take the company another 25 years to get back into the fortune 25, especially if they did not lose capital/funding, market share, profitability, and demand for that product.

The issue is not just getting 9 wins a season. It’s not that difficult if you schedule at least 3 really weak teams a year. It makes it easier to do so. Some still argue till today that Osborne’s teams only won so much because of the level of opposition. BUT, when you compare the kinds and manner of wins against inferior or even same-level opponents, osborne’s teams rarely struggled so much with those teams.

For those who bring up “football landscape” issues, well if the landscape is so “changed” or dramatically “different”, why is bill Snyder doing so well after coming back? Gary Patterson? West Virginia? Boise State? These teams may lose against good teams, but when do they get blown out, if ever??

And for those saying a change in coaching is bad because it may result in “Callahan, part 2”, I say to you: we are already in “Callahan, part 2”. Open your eyes. Only difference is that the tradition isn’t being destroyed, outside of being competitive.

Furthermore, searching for and hiring a new coach with lots of experience and a track record will show us exactly how he will be when he gets here. Will he destroy the culture and be like Callahan again? We will know beforehand based on the way he’s coached before. And I do believe there are coaches like that now who are willing to come to Nebraska. Callahan is gone. we cannot allow the mistakes of the past make us afraid of making new and better decisions in the future. and sadly, many many nebraska fans are living in fear. fear of aiming for the sky and for greatness. instead of aiming, we simply accept status quo as good enough. our words, "in the deed the glory" are simply being trashed, every game we get blown out, and the teams do not compete appropriately. its ok to lose. it's just not ok to lose the way the huskers have lost for the past few years.

If Bo is fired, it won’t, and should not be for 9 win seasons. It should be because of the manner of losses, the product being put on the field, his interpersonal relationships with fans and media, his ability to be a person who promotes unity and pride in the state of Nebraska, and his ability to be a head coach at the university. And on all those counts, he is failing woefully.

If any coach being sought out is told these reasons, and if it is made clear by the university that those are the reasons, then there is no reason why any coach should be afraid of coming to Nebraska. The University is still a choice institution to coach at.

People need to be able to separate the program we all love from the coach. Simple as that. Realizing and admitting that Bo is failing and needs to change fundamentally is not an indication or an indictment of a fan’s love for the program and the university. On the contrary, it is a testament to the deep seated care and love for the program.

Again, I’m not asking for his head. But Nebraska cannot be great without significant changes now. All over the program, from the way the head coach coaches and develops, to the way he manages, to the way he recruits, to the way he relates, and to the way he makes decisions. If he cannot do that, then year after year we cannot expect anything different. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. For there to be change in the outcomes, there has to be a change in the methods. And if the one controlling the methods refuses to change them, then perhaps we need someone else issuing the methods.

Otherwise we willingly choose to be delusional fans, constantly supporting, hoping and believing in a confirmed failure of a product.

We are quickly heading there.

• Fire 3

I’ve spent quite some time thinking about this. I’m not asking for Bo Pelini to be fired, but please read through my comments if you can to undersand what i am saying. It would be difficult and a shame and a disappointment to start over with the program.

At this point though, it’s safe to say there’s no difference between Callahan and Pelini (except maybe their records) – both are stubborn, blindly loyal to the point of failure, have Everest sized egos, refuse to fit the scheme to the players, and have pretty much shown themselves to be clueless. The only difference is that Callahan was supposed to be an offensive genius, while Bo is supposed to be a defensive genius. Also, Bo seems to be doing well to preserve Nebraska’s tradition, except when it comes to winning.

People who compare Bo’s years here to the years Osborne had need to stop. Osborne only dropped out of the top 15 once. He also never had any blowouts, and was never clueless. It may take Bo “25 years” as well to win a National Championship, but why in the world are we supposed to wait for that? Even if we do, I don’t think it’s a bad thing to ask for the team to be at least competitive and stop giving other teams career days and records.

To explain better, If it took a company 25 years to break into the fortune “25”, and a catastrophe like a bad recall forces them down to only the fortune 500, it should not take the company another 25 years to get back into the fortune 25, especially if they did not lose capital/funding, market share, profitability, and demand for that product.

The issue is not just getting 9 wins a season. It’s not that difficult if you schedule at least 3 really weak teams a year. It makes it easier to do so. Some still argue till today that Osborne’s teams only won so much because of the level of opposition. BUT, when you compare the kinds and manner of wins against inferior or even same-level opponents, osborne’s teams rarely struggled so much with those teams.

For those who bring up “football landscape” issues, well if the landscape is so “changed” or dramatically “different”, why is bill Snyder doing so well after coming back? Gary Patterson? West Virginia? Boise State? These teams may lose against good teams, but when do they get blown out, if ever??

And for those saying a change in coaching is bad because it may result in “Callahan, part 2”, I say to you: we are already in “Callahan, part 2”. Open your eyes. Only difference is that the tradition isn’t being destroyed, outside of being competitive.

Furthermore, searching for and hiring a new coach with lots of experience and a track record will show us exactly how he will be when he gets here. Will he destroy the culture and be like Callahan again? We will know beforehand based on the way he’s coached before. And I do believe there are coaches like that now who are willing to come to Nebraska. Callahan is gone. we cannot allow the mistakes of the past make us afraid of making new and better decisions in the future. and sadly, many many nebraska fans are living in fear. fear of aiming for the sky and for greatness. instead of aiming, we simply accept status quo as good enough. our words, "in the deed the glory" are simply being trashed, every game we get blown out, and the teams do not compete appropriately. its ok to lose. it's just not ok to lose the way the huskers have lost for the past few years.

If Bo is fired, it won’t, and should not be for 9 win seasons. It should be because of the manner of losses, the product being put on the field, his interpersonal relationships with fans and media, his ability to be a person who promotes unity and pride in the state of Nebraska, and his ability to be a head coach at the university. And on all those counts, he is failing woefully.

If any coach being sought out is told these reasons, and if it is made clear by the university that those are the reasons, then there is no reason why any coach should be afraid of coming to Nebraska. The University is still a choice institution to coach at.

People need to be able to separate the program we all love from the coach. Simple as that. Realizing and admitting that Bo is failing and needs to change fundamentally is not an indication or an indictment of a fan’s love for the program and the university. On the contrary, it is a testament to the deep seated care and love for the program.

Again, I’m not asking for his head. But Nebraska cannot be great without significant changes now. All over the program, from the way the head coach coaches and develops, to the way he manages, to the way he recruits, to the way he relates, and to the way he makes decisions. If he cannot do that, then year after year we cannot expect anything different. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. For there to be change in the outcomes, there has to be a change in the methods. And if the one controlling the methods refuses to change them, then perhaps we need someone else issuing the methods.

Otherwise we willingly choose to be delusional fans, constantly supporting, hoping and believing in a confirmed failure of a product.

I disagree.

Argument: "Only people who want change in their program love the program"

"I want change in the program."

"Therefore, I love the program."

"You don't want change in the program."

"Therefore, you don't love/care about the program".

When you read that, you'll understand how silly the thing is you just posted.

Nobody loves the program more than the next (except maybe HuskerMoon--remember UCLA game?), so whether you believe a change is needed or not doesn't mean you support the program more than the next guy.

We don't live in fear, we live in anticipation. A project like this takes longer than 5 years. We're not afraid to shoot for the stars, we just think we can get there with what we have.

The landscape is different. The talent has shifted, and even when it wasn't, there were always teams out there who had good stretches. They just happen to be West Virginia and Kansas State this year. It could be Oregon State and Cincinnati for the next couple of years, or it could be some other teams when West Virginia and Kansas State fall to the wayside, which, unless they can accomplish something big--like winning a BCS bowl, won't attract recruits to the school. Just ask Baylor how much having RGIII win the Heisman helped their recruiting of defensive players. It hasn't. It didn't.

I don't remember Callahan winning consistently either. That comparison is just as silly as comparing Bo to Tom.

3578ah.jpg

Interesting how no matter which side of this debate you are on the one consistent thread is how far NU fan's expectations have fallen.

The Program is faltering crowd - "All we want is to not lose by so much"

The Program needs more time crowd - "The landscape is different. Bo needs more time. Football is cyclical."

With that said, I do agree with Bo's statement on Saturday "We need to win out."

At this point though, it’s safe to say there’s no difference between Callahan and Pelini (except maybe their records, Callahan was supposed to be an offensive genius and excellent in all areas, while Bo is supposed to be a defensive genius. Also, Bo seems to be doing well to preserve Nebraska’s tradition, except when it comes to winning because winning at least 9 games a year isn't any better than winning no more than 5 games. – both are stubborn, blindly loyal to the point of failure except when is comes to replacing a coordinator (Bo has done that before), have Everest sized egos but what coach doesn't?, refuse to fit the scheme to the players but Bo will replace players that don't play within the scheme, and have pretty much shown themselves to be clueless about who has the best burgers in town.

FIFY, so really there is some significant difference between them just not about who has better burgers and who has a bigger ego.

Snyder can coach, straight up, but he's in a pass happy league that can't play defense or tackle to save it's life and he has a running team. Pretty good recipe for success. TCU and Boise? Please, they play one maybe two solid opponents a year depending on who they match up with in a bowl and Boise has multiple weeks to practice for them. Although TCU has been building a strong program for the past 5 or 6 years, they still had 5 and 6 win seasons in CUSA before they moved to MWC. West Virginia once again plays in the Big whatever conference and would have been blown out by Baylor had Baylor even thought to field a defense for the game. Before that they were in the Big East, enough said.

You lost me when you claimed TO never was blown out.

I couldn't read the rest without that comment sticking in my mind.

Like getting shut out by Arizona State and Jake Plummer in '96? or the '91 Citrus Bowl, 45 -21 loss to GT? or the 41-17 loss the year before to Florida State? or 23-3 loss to Miami the year before? Also the team was outside of the top 10 several times with TO even unranked a couple times.